Started the process of considering an FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well since this thread is fubared anyways, what is it with this forum and pickles? First we had a useless one, now bandit is banning them.

Now, what about accessories? I heard that there is an issue with enough amps to power other things? I will need a bike that can handle, GPS, 2 sets of heated gloves and vests, and perhaps additional PIAA lighting, if necessary.
I know there are owners who ride 2-up with heated gear. Bluestreek & Cyndi come to mind, I know there are others. Add the lighting to that and you might be at the end of the alternator capability. I think the Honda has the most amperage to spare sbut I'm not certain.

Another issue, the other two brands have 3 year warranties, but Yamaha doesn't. I know I can buy an extended one, but I'm a bit concerned over the 1 year? Any major issues with quality?
No MAJOR issues but, as with any machine, there are isolated issues. Extended warranty can be purchases for $390.00, source listed in the FAQ section. add that to the Out-The-Door price for comparison.

What about pipes? Anyone add aftermarket pipes?
Chris
Yes, some have added slip-ons. (My Holeshots currently reside in the carton. I like "stealth mode" and it's easier to hear my XM radio.)

Using Google, type in your question like this:

slip ons site:fjrforum.com

Remus site:fjrforum.com

Leo Vince site:fjrforum.com

Holeshot site:fjrforum.com

Etc., etc., etc. You get the idea.

I was lucky enough to have a neighbor who owns a Honda/Yamaha dealership and his personal ride is an FJR. I got to spend plenty of time on his FJR and also his demo ST1300.

I was leaning towards the FJR from the beginning just on looks and after riding both I knew the FJR was for me. It handled the best, was the easiest maintenance wise, and is flat out the best looking ST bike out there (subjective of course).

I have found no issues with the bike other than the little things you need to address on all new bikes like control adjustments and bar position.

I had the ECU replaced but honestly never needed it as mine ran fine. I also had the ignition switch replaced, both under warranty.

I never experienced any problems with vibration or odd tire wear. The front tire is cupping a little but that has happened on almost ever bike I have owned.

All in all it’s a great bike and never disappoints. :yahoo:

I have had or ridden them all...this is my second FJR and I will never own anything but an FJR from here on out...I even had one of those million dollar BMW's that I sold for this 2009 FJR...a real motorcycle. The handling, The SMOOTH engine, The Power, The Acceleration...I love it around town and still let out a Yee! Haw! every time I get on the feeway...I LOVE MY FJR!

021.jpg

I'm just gonna add to the exhaust question. I run the Remus Hexacones. Useless Pickles did quite a bit of posting on this forum and YouTube. It was a lot of his leg work that lead me to my purchase of the cones. I'm pretty happy w/ them. I run them w/o the baffles and I think the sound and decibel volume are about right. Not too obnoxious to piss off the humans in cages that think motorcyclists are show boaters. But deep and throaty enough to keep me happy.

There ain't a lot of options out there for the FJR. I like to think these are good fit for this bike. But $950 isn't chump change. With a background in the motocross arena, $950 is fair for two titanium/carbon fiber cans, though.

The hexagonal cans of the Remus system definately compliment the bags. These cans are very popular so plan on waiting as backorder is emminent. I waited just over three months.

I have had or ridden them all...this is my second FJR and I will never own anything but an FJR from here on out...I even had one of those million dollar BMW's that I sold for this 2009 FJR...a real motorcycle. The handling, The SMOOTH engine, The Power, The Acceleration...I love it around town and still let out a Yee! Haw! every time I get on the feeway...I LOVE MY FJR!
021.jpg
If I was king of the world (or the forum), I would declare that '09 feej pics be banned (well until I happen to own one)

...I am not usually a black vehicle fan, but that blacked out '09 is friggin gorgeous...second only to the '04 (well, maybe equal)...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have asked about the vibration issue on this forum and i have been told they all do it. People have went to heavy bar ends, bar risers and many like the foam puppy grips to try and dampen the vibration problem. When you loose feeling in your hands and your fingers tingle there is a problem If you had a harley and went to the f.j.r. you would think this is a smooth ride, but if you went from a goldwing to an f.j.r. you would be wondering whats wrong with this bike. I guess its what your used to. Test ride and you be the judge
They do all have some high pitched vibes, but they are not all the same. My 04 FJR was much smoother than my 08. I have tried some of the minor things to help, but nothing yet has made it better. I'm going to re-torque the engine mount bolts when I get around to removing the lower plastic. As it is, I can live with it. My hand doesn't go numb from the vibes because I don't get that many vibes through the grips(mostly seat and pegs), but does when I'm gripping the handlebars too hard. Just have to remind myself not to.(A Lot) Hopefully I can eventually smooth some of the vibes out cause I'm not selling it. I like it too much.

GP

I have had many in line fours. The bike i had before the fjr was a 1250 bandit. There was no buzz anyware in the rpm range. It went down the road much smoother than my yam. Maybe i do need to talk to the dealer about a sync job. But it seemed funney that everyone on the forum was aware of the problem and said they all do it. It starts at 4000 rpms and never really smooths out again, its not as bad at higher rpms but its still there.
I understand your issue. Its my biggest complaint surrounding the bike. grip puppies and risers helped alot. i didnt notice a difference when i got a TBS. Problem is not a deal breaker for me, but i can see how it would be if your sensative to vibration. I was sensative to heat, so i sold my st1300 and bought a Gen II FJR. The ST guys kept telling me the bike didnt have a heat problem (while i was pulling dead cell phones and other melted artifacts out of the fairing pocket). i dont notice the vibration much anymore except on long trips. I actually think the bike has smoothed out as it wears in. I still notice the vibration, but its not nearly as bad as it was when the bike was new. i hear the new beemer GT's got the same issue. I try to reduce the amount of pressure i put on my hands on long trips and use my throttle lock to give my hands frequent breaks.

Greygoose.