• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Starter for sale

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bramfrank

BramFrank
Reaction score
The short of it:

Dealer was tasked with diagnosing a 'no starter when warm and sometimes after sitting for a while' condition on my '06 with 100000 km and came back with a diagnosis of 'you need a new starter' and a quote for $750, labour included.

Fast forward;

Found a starter from an '07 with 7000 miles on it on eBay for $130 + shipping. Bought it intending to install it myself.

But before installing, a car mechanic friend suggested a couple of tests and in the end that I purchase yet another new battery (I'd been through 3 up to then in the foolish hope that it was bad batteries - I'd bought Motobatt - went through 3).

I decided not to go for Motobatt yet again, even though I could probably have argued for a free replacement (the first was purchase just over 2 years ago), in spite of the great reviews - enough already, if indeed it was the battery. So I got a Yuasa private label a few weeks ago from Saskbattery for less than $90 shipped.

I installed a few weeks ago and if indeed it wasn;t the battery, by now I'd be seeing issues and I don't, so he was right - 3 bad batteries in a row from Motobatt and the smart battery chargers didn't detect the issues.

So I have the starter motor available for the same price as I paid: $130 plus shipping from 12919 OR H9G3B8).

PM me or post on the Facebook group if interested.

I may be in need of a starter for my Gen 1(2004). I'm still troubleshooting to see if it could be something else. And I need to research whether your starter will work in my Gen 1. But just in case, is your starter still available?

It is indeed . . . . however it is subject to prior sale should someone want it before you do . . . however if it is sold I will be posting the fact here.

You should hang on to that starter for a bit. Seriously...If your starter is taking a crap, a new battery will be able to power through until the starter finally dies. Just a thought though...Good luck if you still sell.

It is indeed . . . . however it is subject to prior sale should someone want it before you do . . . however if it is sold I will be posting the fact here.
Understood. I may end up trying a new battery before a new starter. So it will likely be a while before I know whether the starter is even needed.

I`ll take your starter if it`s still for sale ?

Send me a pm for address and payment information.