startup issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdrman

Reaction score
I have a 2004 FJR. I'm having startup issues. I bought it last year and everything was working fine. I couldn't ride the bike for about a month or so but would occasionally start it and have it run. Had it on a battery tender as well. Then it started to sounds like it was having a harder time starting and then would get click click click. I ended up replacing the battery and even with a brand new fully charged battery the problem persists. I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this and thoughts on what might be going on here before I get my wallet ripped to shreds taking it to the dealer for service.

Two things...
If you are not planning to go for a ride, you are not doing your bike any favors by starting it! If you have to start it to check it out or just hear it run, it is important to let it get up to FULL operating temperature. If you don't, it will tend to flood and you often end out with great difficulty starting the next time. WOT and extended cranking usually necessary. Note: Even if the coolant is up to temperature, the oil probably isn't hot enough to burn off water and hydrocarbon condensate and could lead to future issues with corrosion or fuel dilution in oil. Read up on "fast starter syndrome" on this forum.

Slow crank or solenoid clicking is usually the battery or a loose cable. Sometimes a bad starter. Usual way to check is to use a known good battery (load tested) and measure starting current with a clamp-on DC ammeter. Currents may be well over 100A with a bad starter.

Last edited:
RossKean is a smart 'fella--especially highlighting this as two distinct issues. I agree with what he said and would add that the "fast starter syndrome" I've diagnosed before can manifest like you're talking about. The good thing is the first one can be fixed by changing your habit and hopelly the click-click thing is something easy like a loose cable or a battery.

Two things...
If you are not planning to go for a ride, you are not doing your bike any favors by starting it! If you have to start it to check it out or just hear it run, it is important to let it get up to FULL operating temperature. If you don't, it will tend to flood and you often end out with great difficulty starting the next time. WOT and extended cranking usually necessary. Note: Even if the coolant is up to temperature, the oil probably isn't hot enough to burn off water and hydrocarbon condensate and could lead to future issues with corrosion or fuel dilution in oil. Read up on "fast starter syndrome" on this forum.

Slow crank or solenoid clicking is usually the battery or a loose cable. Sometimes a bad starter. Usual way to check is to use a known good battery (load tested) and measure starting current with a clamp-on DC ammeter. Currents may be well over 100A with a bad starter.
well so far so good 👍. Went WOT, added in a bit of sea foam and its doing much better so thank you, I appreciate your help!