Startup Pre-ignition

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My '08 makes the same knocking sound a few times as well when first started. Pull the clutch in and see if it still makes the noise, mine doesn't. I believe it's just the engine missing and the noise is coming from the backlash in the tranny gears bouncing off one another. Someone else mentioned a while back that they had a hard knocking noise if you blip the throttle when cold. Again, mine does this when in neutral with the clutch engaged but doesn't if you pull the clutch in. Had a very similar knocking noise on an SVT Focus after I put an aluminum flywheel on it. The pulses from the individual cylinders firing would rattle the gears in neutral because the flywheel was tool light to absorb the pulses.

SCRider

My 06 AE does the same thing and when I has doing a TBS, I noticed that the vaccum on the #4 cyl would go to zero when it would happen. I was wondering if it was a sticking valve, or something like that.

2007 same thing, sounds much more like a missing cylinder than anything else

As temp. increases it lessens until full operating temp. It also seems to be only in one cylinder.

I would like to know the cause so I can fix it so off to the dealer we go.

Jimstan and Zeus

2007 same thing, sounds much more like a missing cylinder than anything elseAs temp. increases it lessens until full operating temp. It also seems to be only in one cylinder.

Jimstan and Zeus
Ill say it one more time just in case you missed the first 2 times, :headbonk: change your plugs, I know they may be brand new, so were mine, just change them. Iridium worked for me.

2007 same thing, sounds much more like a missing cylinder than anything elseAs temp. increases it lessens until full operating temp. It also seems to be only in one cylinder.

Jimstan and Zeus
Ill say it one more time just in case you missed the first 2 times, :headbonk: change your plugs, I know they may be brand new, so were mine, just change them. Iridium worked for me.
OK OK...... I will change my dam plugs, Dear...... I mean Rondo777

Jimstan

Jimstan and Zeus
OK OK...... I will change my dam plugs, Dear...... I mean Rondo777

Jimstan
So did it work Jimstan?

Mine too. Glad I found this thread. Just didn't sound right to me!

Mine doesnt do this. I even went out and started it cold just now in case I have just gotten used to it. But, nope.

Does anyone that is experiencing this have a PCIII? I have one...maybe that is the difference?