Stator cover heat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stand corrected about the FH012AA (second Gen R/R) being a series regulator. I was repeating (apparently bad) information I had read elsewhere.

I would still want a beefed up Regulator / Rectifier as the available power from the 2nd Gen and later alternator could easily take out a 1st Gen R/R. But this does get us back to the original discussion point, that is if they are both shunt typer regulators, up to the point where the R/R fails they should both generate the same amount of heating in the stator windings.

And I owe an apology to the ass-less Twigg man, as he was correctly laughing it off about the R/R not making any difference to the stator heating.

PS - Twigg, is that you in wfooshee's avatar?

I'm going to Up grade my REC-REG to a newer one. Found one on Ebay 2008 FJR $50 .

Small price to pay for peace of mind OR walking down some backroad.

Come this far whats another hour or so of work to know its right.

Shindagen is the manufacturing supplier for Yamaha REC-REGs

FHO 12AA is 2006 up. Pictures on Ebay clearly show FHO 12AA printed on REC-REG. for sale.

I'll keep youy posted after installing new part. I doubt temps. will be any different at stator. I've been wrong before, but who likes to admit that.

FHO12AA been replace by FHO20AA newer part #

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.
unsure.png

I stand corrected about the FH012AA (second Gen R/R) being a series regulator. I was repeating (apparently bad) information I had read elsewhere. I would still want a beefed up Regulator / Rectifier as the available power from the 2nd Gen and later alternator could easily take out a 1st Gen R/R. But this does get us back to the original discussion point, that is if they are both shunt typer regulators, up to the point where the R/R fails they should both generate the same amount of heating in the stator windings.

And I owe an apology to the ass-less Twigg man, as he was correctly laughing it off about the R/R not making any difference to the stator heating.

PS - Twigg, is that you in wfooshee's avatar?
LMFAO :D

It's all good. I'm generally a lot more relaxed than my posts sometimes appear ... and I am very difficult to offend. Some have managed it, but they hard to try really hard!

I was doing a litte more research, looking through my service manual found at page that lists eletrical specs.

Lists RecReg capacity at 35 amps. 490 watts Max output Gen I 590 watts max Gen II

Converting 490 at 14 volts is 35 amps. Max listed for my RecReg.

Gen II 590 at 14 volts is 42.14 amps. Seems I'm putting a little more amps through it than rated.

7 more to be exact. Thats too much.

Used RecReg is coming. Won't be able to try it until next weekend.
uhoh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for taking the time to measure the temp.

I'm going to upgrade some parts and hope no damage was done to my stator.
smile.png

Back in the day of air cooled engines we just peed on 'em when they got hot.

But them days are long gone what with overzealous prosecution of sex offenses. I can't piss in my wooded backyard anymore.
sadsmiley.gif

Guess you'll have to deal with it.