Stebel Magnums

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocket

Doctor Throckenstein !!!
Reaction score
I finally ordered what I thought were the REAL Magnum Blasters. $26.45 shipped here in the US from https://www.hornsplusauto.com/ .

I ordered the TWIN deal on the site, but the package came with two separate packages of horns, high and low. Expected 2 horns, just not separate packages.

The package doesn't say BLASTER anyhwere. That's OK. The website doesn't display how many DB's or which TM80 model you are getting. There is evidently a difference. Looking at the packages I got, they say 136 Db. I thought they were 138 or 139db? Each package says TM80/1 Magnum 12 volt.

Did I get the correct model? I dunno. Maybe it's Stebels and oranges. Perhaps the 138 Carrands that Warchild posted on FJRTech are completely different but put out essentially the same sound? And perhaps the Stebels may be a better way to go.

Stebel makes an electric horn that puts out 139 db. I've emailed Todd to get clarification on what I ordered, what I got, and what's available.

136 horns may not put me much better off that the Hiway Blasters I already have, although the Stebels are certainly beefier.

Just hoping to clear all this up (again).

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you got the same ones I got. I installed a set on my Maxim but haven't put them on the FJR yet. They made a big difference on the Maxin but the old horns on that bike were not working up tp their original sound anyway. I would like to know if anyone has heard these and the real Blasters to tell us if there is a difference.

These are the ones I got from the same place.

I have to admit, they are loud, but not nearly as loud as WC made them out to sound. The horns on my Touareg are MUCH louder.

-BD

That's what I'm talking about. I have them installed. Heck, for $25 they aren't worth returning. But if they are 136 and not 138 or 139 db, then the are effectively only about HALF as loud as they could be. Have to admit that they are a lot louder than the Hiway Blasters I took off, and even more likely to be heard. But not OH SHIT loud.

I finally ordered what I thought were the REAL Magnum Blasters. ....................I ordered the TWIN deal on the site, but the package came with two separate packages of horns, high and low. Expected 2 horns, just not separate packages.

The package doesn't say BLASTER anyhwere. That's OK. The website doesn't display how many DB's or which TM80 model you are getting. There is evidently a difference. Looking at the packages I got, they say 136 Db. I thought they were 138 or 139db? Each package says TM80/1 Magnum 12 volt.

Did I get the correct model? I dunno. Maybe it's Stebels and oranges. Perhaps the 138 Carrands that Warchild posted on FJRTech are completely different but put out essentially the same sound? And perhaps the Stebels may be a better way to go.

Stebel makes an electric horn that puts out 139 db. I've emailed Todd to get clarification on what I ordered, what I got, and what's available.

136 horns may not put me much better off that the Hiway Blasters I already have, although the Stebels are certainly beefier.

Just hoping to clear all this up (again).
I dunno if anyone could tell yah for sure.... but I've seen 'em both and they look exactly the same....

(If it was me I wouldn't worry)

-bvw.

Go to Stebels website.

1 horn = 136 dB

2 horns hi/lo = 139 dB combined.

You got the real thing. FWIW, they're not "oh shit" loud.....just WAY louder than stock. If you didn't use a relay, and just plugged the fact wires to them, they're only working at around 60 percent.

You want OH SHIT loud? Install a set of Wolo "super loud" airhorns.

Funny, every time I show someone how loud my Magnums are, their reply is usually "holy shit!" ;)

Thanks Randy! Appreciate the clarification. I did use a relay per Warchild's FJRTech instructions way back before you were making harnesses (dangit!). IMO, that's the ONLY way to go.

Still haven't heard back from the vendor, though...

Todd replied via email that Randy was in fact correct. The horns are only 136 Db each and that together they put out 139 Db. I.E. 2 horns put out twice the volumn.

If the Carrand Magnum Blasters are 138 or 139 Db EACH, then you REALLY have some noise! And if that's the case, if you want maximum loud, then the twin Stebels from Horns Plus may NOT be the way to go. Still pretty impressive, though.

Sounds like a lot of you guys learned to drive in the Middle East. Having a loud horn is a necessity over there. When I was in college one of my summer jobs was with ARAMCO in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. Over there it seems nobody obeys traffic signals or stop signs. When they approach a signal or sign they just stand on the horn and don't slow down. Lots of fender benders and worse.

And, of course, these were all male drivers. Women don't drive, and when they ride on the public buses they have to sit in their section in the back. Hopefully, some positive changes have occured since the mid '80s.

I was cruising the forums for info on replacement horns and came across this thread. Here is a bit of clarification regarding horn sound level and decibels. If you have one horn with an output of 136db and add a second identical horn of 136db, you can expect the resultant sound level to be 139db. An increase of 3 db, however, is NOT twice as loud. 3 db is really the first increment of sound level increase that most people can reliably hear (some people can hear a 1 db increase under good conditions). To hear a sound level increase of a factor of 2, you need a db increase of about 10 db (for normal hearing).

The 1 to 2 horn difference that is important is when the horns are supplied in a low tone, high tone pair. When you add the second tone, the measured sound level behaves as described above, however, the perceived sound level (noticeabililty?) of the combination is greatly enhanced.

A difference of a few db, is therefore, not important. Just make sure you get a high tone, low tone pair.

I have the same ones and didn't find installing them easy...Got the left one on OK, but the right one, I had to remove the small black 'inner' lower fairing..

If you got these horns on, how did you orient them???

If you used the new bracket it's easy.

Just bend the new brackets in a vice so the horns will sit at 45 degress instead of flat against the radiator. This way, it will clear the forks and a fork brace if installed. Also, you don't have to remove the right panel, just trim a little.

The goal here is to get the horns to sit as far upward, outward and back as possible.

The Magnum Blasters that have Carrand on the package are TM 80 magnum Stebel

horns. It has the Stebel name and trademark on the horn. This is THE Magnum Blasters. The Magnums come with plastic covers that look like cast aluminum.

Yep, those are what I got. Guess everything is copacetic. They sure sound... "nice"!!