Steering Damper

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve,

Why do you want one? Most FJR owners don't need them.

Congrats on your FJR...many happy miles & smiles to you.

Steve,

Why do you want one? Most FJR owners don't need them.

Congrats on your FJR...many happy miles & smiles to you.
I have been riding a CBR1000 for the past five years that had HESD steering damper and the FJR just doesn't feel right on the highwat to me. Bike only has 4000 miles on it so I doubt anything is wrong it, the sterring just feels too light to me.

Steve,

If it was me, I would get a new set of tires first. like Michelin PR2's or 3's. I would bet you have the original tires and they don't yield the best response on the road and will gradually get worse.

Do keep your tire pressures up for they are prone to cupping, etc.

Also, you may want to check your steering head bearings for proper torque:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=128357

Last edited by a moderator:
The FJR's rake, trail and wheel base aren't close to a pure sport bike so the FJR does not have the handling characteristics that requires a steering damper. For this reason there may not be many companies that make an unnecessary steering damper.

All FJR's handling should be stable, predictable and easily controllable. Are you the original owner? Do you ride with a top case installed? Have you adjusted the suspension or changed suspension parts? OEM tires? What were the tire pressures the last time you checked them? Have you made any changes to the steering head or added body parts?

If the originals are the Bridgestone BT-021, then that front is nearing the end of its life. The -021 rear is a pretty fair tire, but the front is good for nothing but grinding and recycling.

Here is what I used. They are really a "progressive" dampner system. You use them and as time progresses the steering becomes much easier, tighter and firmer. Six months in and I can say that the front end stays planted alot better now:

click here

KM

Here is what I used. They are really a "progressive" dampner system. You use them and as time progresses the steering becomes much easier, tighter and firmer. Six months in and I can say that the front end stays planted alot better now:

click here

KM

Funny, from your pic it looks like you need to use it more often try this one insted it worked for me.

https://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/p90x.do?tnt=P90X_WU_B1&code=SEMB_GOOGLE_P90X&extcmp=e79dc8a93ec8447a&ef_id=jyBNrKNG63wAAAHM:20110515215136:s

If the originals are the Bridgestone BT-021, then that front is nearing the end of its life. The -021 rear is a pretty fair tire, but the front is good for nothing but grinding and recycling.
Thank you for the advice.