Stinky leather

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rushes

Reaction score
I'm losing weight and dug out some older gear from storage and hope to get back into it. But it's got a pretty strong mildew smell.

I've sprayed it with Febreze and hung it outside but it still stinks.

Any tricks to get it out?

I don't have a clue, but my wife says make a paste out of baking soda and rub it in, let sit until it dries, and then wipe it off. And then oil the leathers after that. I have no idea how she knows to do this, but try it on small patch and see what happens. The worst thing that can happen is that it'll totally disintegrate the leathers and it'll give you an excuse to buy a new set. :rolleyes:

Ride faster..just kidding, I would take it to a professional leather/dry cleaner and have it cleaned.

Saddlesoap and/or the baking soda. The saddlesoap should clean the leather and somewhat tempor the odor and the baking soda should also absorb the odor. The only caution I saw about applying baking soda to leather was that repeated applications might make the leather stiff (but that shouldn't be a problem in your application).

Remove the armor and put them in the washing machine. Remove, turn inside out, and lay flat (do not hang). Just before they are dry, turn them inside out and apply a lanolin based leather conditioner. Repeat use of the lanolin based conditioner for a couple days.

Remove the armor and put them in the washing machine. Remove, turn inside out, and lay flat (do not hang). Just before they are dry, turn them inside out and apply a lanolin based leather conditioner. Repeat use of the lanolin based conditioner for a couple days.
Randy,

isnt it the case that if you get leather that wet that it softens and looses its ability to protect you from abrasion?

Last edited by a moderator:
Randy,

isnt it the case that if you get leather that wet that it softens and looses its ability to protect you from abrasion?
I'm no leather expert - just passing on the info from one of the best in the biz - Barnacle Bill. They don't keep cows out of the rain.

Randy,

I'm no leather expert - just passing on the info from one of the best in the biz - Barnacle Bill. They don't keep cows out of the rain.
haha cows in the rain. you know hide is pretty tender fresh off the cow. its the tanning process. but anyway just asking not questioning your expertise :rolleyes: