Stirring Things Up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
FJR vibrate? Bah! The other ride in my garage is a 1980 SR 500. Now we're talkin' some vibration.

I think I need to go tighten something.

And someone thinks FJ's are valuable. Question is Is the FJR worth $12K more.
Hoping for more than people defending the FJR. Really wanted why its a better bike.
FJs are valuable? That's a relative statement. If it was valuable, it would be more than the average old bike that's been sitting in someone's garage not being used. That one is in the budget price range still.

Go ride an FJR. Then come back to the computer and ask questions or give comments. Speculation is for fools. Every bike vibrates when it's running. Smooth is relative to what you want and what you're going to do with it.

Why is the FJR a better bike than the old FJ? A blanket question like that is useless. You wanted better wind protection and luggage, the FJR has both. You wanted smoother, the FJR is. You wanted decent tire sizes, done. Is it everything you want? I doubt it. Is it one of the best values for the money? I think so. The '06 is essentially the same as the '08. You can still find new '07s sitting around, (thanks to Yamaha giving up the pre order program). You don't have to pay full ticket. There are dealers that sell below the MSRP too.

I only have 76k on my '04. The only thing I've had to repair was a cam chain tensioner that died after about 60k. And that was covered under the extended YES warranty. Both of the 26k interval valve checks showed everything nicely in spec, with no shim changes needed. How much money have you spent on the FJ in 76k? Hell, I only just replaced the front pads for the first time recently. The money I've spent on the bike has been upgrades that I wanted, or tires, oil, gas, etc.

Right now you're a looky-loo. Do you want us to convince you to buy, or are you looking to justify keeping that ratty old beater FJ? ;)

The other ride in my garage is a 1980 SR 500.
Really..?? :dribble: The SR500 is one of my top 10, all-time favorite bikes. That's another on my (long) list of woulda, coulda, shouldas.... :glare:

Last edited by a moderator:
Trollin', trollin', trollin'

Though the threads are swollen

Keep this dogpile rollin'

Rawhide!

Sounds like the 22 year old FJ is a better bike for you, JC.

Thanks for stoppin' by and "stirring things up"

Y'all come back now

I can't detect any buzz in the FJR's bars. For those who do, you may consider putting Cramp Busters on both grips and just lay your hands on them. I've done with other bikes that really buzzed and it makes all the difference.

Yeah, the FJR totally sucks, don't buy one!:

I was warming my bike up sitting on the centerstand this morning parked next to a tree. I noticed a high pitch squeal/screech for a fraction of a second when starting the bike.

I shifted 55 times in a minute; then the throttle got too sensitive; the seat was too hard, my grips were too hard the throttle spring was too hard and it started ticking and roasted my left leg so I put the sidestand down to take it off the centerstand. I pulled the front brake lever in until it touched the grip. The front end clunked and I stripped the oil pan while I was gently squeezing my anti-lock brakes like an orange to keep them from locking up when I realized the brakes aren't as powerful as I thought.

When I was lowering it off the centerstand, the sidestand collapsed and it landed on my metal slider which broke my frame causing my Metzeler tire to fail and both sidebags to unlock and fall off. The car swerving into my lane couldn't hear my wimpy horn and there was no grease on my spline. It was wobbling at 48.5 mph and the buzzing was making my hands numb. I couldn't hear anything 'cuz of the static in my intercom.

The glovebox wouldn't open and the suspension was too mushy. My cover wore the paint off the tops of my mirrors. Then I got yelled at by another rider on a group ride

Picking it up, I tore my bicep, wrenched my back, both knees and got monkey butt....

:lol: Nipple....

Hey check this out: Clicky...Awesome suspension, right out of showroom! No buzzing, no wind protection issues, no ticking, the electronics wont crap out on you after a few thousand miles, the gearing is near perfect, the brakes are some of the best available, and it has all the horsepower/torque you can stand. Since you seem to be so obsessed with pointing out the FJR's shortcomings, maybe one of these would suite you better.

If not, why don't you go over to the ST/Goldwing/Harley/Suzuki web-site and bug them for a while? Maybe they will be more willing to kiss your ass and prove to you why you should buy the bike most of them have already chosen. Oh...and if you do find the "perfect for everyone" motorcycle, make sure you come back here and tell us all what it is.

Hey check this out: Clicky...Awesome suspension, right out of showroom! No buzzing, no wind protection issues, no ticking, the electronics wont crap out on you after a few thousand miles, the gearing is near perfect, the brakes are some of the best available, and it has all the horsepower/torque you can stand. Since you seem to be so obsessed with pointing out the FJR's shortcomings, maybe one of these would suite you better.
If not, why don't you go over to the ST/Goldwing/Harley/Suzuki web-site and bug them for a while? Maybe they will be more willing to kiss your ass and prove to you why you should buy the bike most of them have already chosen. Oh...and if you do find the "perfect for everyone" motorcycle, make sure you come back here and tell us all what it is.

+1 I have a Harley I will sell you, it's perfect in every way!

Really..?? :dribble: The SR500 is one of my top 10, all-time favorite bikes. That's another on my (long) list of woulda, coulda, shouldas.... :glare:
Absolutely. Supertrapp exhaust, some mild motor mods. It is a total hoot to ride and sounds really cool. Looks totally stock, not dicked up with a bunch of cafe' shit. I tell anyone who wants to ride it that it's fine with me - as long as they can get it started. This bike stays with me until they throw dirt in my face.

crying_baby_080205_lg.jpg

I've owned an '04 & now '05. I put 14k miles on the '04, just a couple thou on the '05 (bought it right before winter. Can't say I've ever noticed a vibration problem in either one. Now if only the pegs were a little more rearset, I'd be happy as a pig in poop.

have you not been on the yahoo fj forum (or God knows where else the info gets posted) to know about putting on a different sprocket to lower your rpm's?

ditto the above about putting on a yzf rear 17" rear wheel to get open up a plethora of 17" tire options including the metzelers?

dean

cincinnati

Did the obligatory "Intro First".
The FJ was a great bike, but it need(s)ed taller gearing, better wind protection, luggage and please please, a velvety smooth mount. It was never underpowered. And despite what the "party line" now says, it worked unbelievably well with Metzler RADIALS, when they made them to fit.

So the FJR still buzzez, is only moderately more powerful, finds people still struggling for the right wind protection & seating, and taller gearing.... And it is 20+ years later....

And to really piss people off.. the more I look at mint vintage FJ's the more I find the FJR, less attractive... Check out the 86 on EBay now, with 1300 miles... closes tomorrow, 04/24/08, last time I looked, $2800, will your FJR fair as well?

But ... The 08 is seducing me.. why should I, convince me please...

Don't buy one!!!! NNNOOOO!! Then you would trailer to NAFO because of "the buzz" and then cry and want someone to fix it. Oh and annoy more people. It seems you have already found reasons not to buy -save the money. Do some homework on your own and ask real questions. It's FRIDAY!!

Absolutely. Supertrapp exhaust, some mild motor mods. It is a total hoot to ride and sounds really cool. Looks totally stock, not dicked up with a bunch of cafe' shit. I tell anyone who wants to ride it that it's fine with me - as long as they can get it started. This bike stays with me until they throw dirt in my face.
I had mine (78) for 22 years. Started right up, ran till there was no gas in the tank. I'll have to come by and ride sometime :rolleyes:

I'm coming from an 89 FJ1200 to an 03 FJR. I feel both are similar in some ways, yet worlds apart from each other.

The FJ1200 Buzzed but was a lot of fun to ride. The FJR is silky smooth compaired to an FJ and is also fun to ride two up, with luggage, on long trips, on twisty roads, all day long and very fast.

If your looking for a newer sport touring bike there are plenty of bikes to choose from.

If your looking for a fun 2nd hand bike to ride, a well kept FJ1200 is a great find. I almost wish I had kept mine as a 2nd bike.

Please make your decision and enjoy what ever it is you decide to ride.

I think the tone of your post may be keeping you from getting responses.
Yup - exactly why I ignored the original posted question.

I don't feel a need to "Justify" my bike.
Exactly - I rode into Manhattan yesterday (*There's* an adventure!) to meet some folks and they all thought I was nuts. If they would have been interested in the trip/reasons, I would have explained it to them. But from their "tone", I just ignored their comments.

I had mine (78) for 22 years. Started right up, ran till there was no gas in the tank. I'll have to come by and ride sometime :rolleyes:
Come on by. It's a nice little ride and I'm sure you'll enjoy it every bit as much as I do. Nice trip up here on the FJR too.

Status
Not open for further replies.