stock/cee bailey/v stream/rifle comparison

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bes

Reaction score
For starters I'm 6'1 and #265 with a 31" inseam, long/wide torso, full face helmet with ear plugs. We all know the stock is pretty much a joke above 50 MPH, enough said. Next screen was the Cee +4+2 with flip. Better, but very lacking at highway speeds. Above 65, were are doing the bobble head with way to much noise. Not acceptable for any distance. The V was also a +4+2 per their suggestion regarding my build. I found this a little bit better than the Cee, but not much. Same bobble head at speed, not acceptable for any distance rides. Rifle is a +5+4, it's huge. I was concerned about heat being in the desert, but the angle mounts(replaced the tuning block) let a good amount of airflow from the bottom of the shield. This screen created the pocket of quite air I was looking for. The screen is not ugly, but it does take away form the stealth/sportbike look of the FJR. The fit and finish of all the screens were perfect, clarity of the plastic a non issue for those of you that look thru the screen, rather than above it.

Admittedly, the Rifle is a bit bigger, but I do not believe size alone is the issue. By changing the angle of the shield, and letting more airflow from underneath, created a quieter pocket for me. BUT.....I question if Mamma Yamma's windshield mechanism is strong enough for this large a shield at a different angle. Time will tell. Barry

Last edited by a moderator:
For starters I'm 6'1 and #265 with a 31" inseam, long/wide torso, full face helmet with ear plugs. We all know the stock is pretty much a joke above 50 MPH, enough said. Next screen was the Cee +4+2 with flip. Better, but very lacking at highway speeds. Above 65, were are doing the bobble head with way to much noise. Not acceptable for any distance. The V was also a +4+2 per their suggestion regarding my build. I found this a little bit better than the Cee, but not much. Same bobble head at speed, not acceptable for any distance rides. Rifle is a +5+4, it's huge. I was concerned about heat being in the desert, but the angle mounts(replaced the tuning block) let a good amount of airflow from the bottom of the shield. This screen created the pocket of quite air I was looking for. The screen is not ugly, but it does take away form the stealth/sportbike look of the FJR. The fit and finish of all the screens were perfect, clarity of the plastic a non issue for those of you that look thru the screen, rather than above it.
Admittedly, the Rifle is a bit bigger, but I do not believe size alone is the issue. By changing the angle of the shield, and letting more airflow from underneath, created a quieter pocket for me. BUT.....I question if Mamma Yamma's windshield mechanism is strong enough for this large a shield at a different angle. Time will tell. Barry
Glad to hear you finally found one you like. I haven't taken off the cee bailey since I picked it up from you. It is perfect for me at 5'11

Glad to hear you finally found one you like. I haven't taken off the cee bailey since I picked it up from you. It is perfect for me at 5'11
I'm 5' 10" Ok so I'm 5' 9 3/4" :) 31" inseam also. I've hear talk of the bubble from a friend who rides a GoldWing, I was disapointed that my V-Stream didn't provide that for me. It's better than the stock windsheild but not as good as I had hoped.

I was recently asked in an email about my rifle. Here is my slightly edited response.

Yes, I have the Rifle windscreen, but if I were to do it all over again I think I'd try the Vstream or the CalSci XL for cold weather. There was only one size Rifle available for the 2005 when I purchased mine. The rifle is great in the lower 1-2" of travel at diverting a smooth stream of air directly at my neck or up to my face shield, keeping it off of my chest and shoulders. When raised high enough to get the air above my head (anything above the lower 25% of the shield movement range), I get some pretty high frequency buffeting on my helmet when at speed. If I'm at 55mph or less it's not noticeable. At 75mph and above, it's unbearable and forces me to slow down, causing blurred vision and headache. My helmet loves to be up in a smooth stream of air, so it's not a problem unless I'm looking to avoid the cold.

Now, keep in mind that the aerodynamics of the Gen 2 motorcycles are different than mine (2005) since you have the vents in the headlight section that may reduce the negative backpressure and may change the flow enough to not create the buffeting.

I thought I'd love the Rifle in cold weather, but it is FANTASTIC for me in hot weather because of my aeorstitch. The stitch has little venting or airflow from the front. If I can get all the airflow to hit me in the neck while I have the neck collar opened and not velcroed shut, I get amazing airflow into my suit and out the back, armpits, and hip vents. In cold weather (30-35 degrees F) my neck and above still get pretty damn chilled, but that is corrected by wearing a scarf to fill the openings in the bottom of the helmet.

The rifle was a HUGE improvement over the stock screen for the 2005. I don't get tossed around much at all in any wind (tail wind behind a large semi, strong crosswind, etc..), but there is by no means a pocket of silence for me.

I hope this helped you.

BTW, I'm 5'11" with a 33" inseam, seated on a gel modified stock seat and beadrider placing me about 1/2 inch higher than the stock seat.

I had the Stock went to the Yamaha Touring better went to Rifle it is a huge differance lots of air. While in lowest position and quite while up I"m 5'7 but it takes away grom the sporty look of thr fjr. I want a C-Baily with flip 4 inch wider 2 taller .

Latest posts