Stop leaving the key on!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birkdale10

Reaction score
Did it Friday. Had a friend with jumper cables. And did it again 2 days later at the parking lot at Costco.

Yes, I should remember. I know, the way to stop the bike is to use the key to stop the engine, take it out then. I know that. And, I get somewhere, and I just am thinking about what I'm going to do next, and I leave the keys, not just in the ignition, but ON. And come back 20 minutes later to a dead battery.

I have thought about a tether coil, and I have one I could use.

But, I know what I want. I want something on my key fob, and something in my pocket. And if those two somethings get more than 10 feet apart, they could start buzzing and beeping and honking.

Where can I get one of those?

You might want to consider something like this you will probably need to combine it with "Vibrating and Beeping Mini Reminder Security Guard" mentioned above. At least it's a bit more high tech than a bungee cord.............

Habits are hard to break. Find something and /or a routine that has you turning off the key to stop the bike.

FWIW, I never use the side stand or kill switch to stop the bike. Too easy for CRS to kick in or a shiny metal object to divert my attention... :)

--G

As I age the only hope is habit. Keys always go in the same place. Bike is parked the same way. Disk brake lock pouch goes over the ignition switch. Hell, I get the left pannier, she gets the right. Every time. Rainsuits go in the tank bag. Helps me keep my shit together.

You could always disable the kill switch and the sidestand switch....... Then the key would be the only way to shut it off and you couldn't help but use it!!

AHHHHHHHHHH-hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

Oh man the places I could go with this............
All I'm gonna say is you or a family member should realize when you are a menace.

Case in point.

Locally
2 or 3 years ago a 92 year old dude drove over 300 feet into a guys yard and killed him while he was mowing his yard.

The old dude got 90 days suspended License and probation.

Just sayin.

Habits are hard to break. Find something and /or a routine that has you turning off the key to stop the bike.
FWIW, I never use the side stand or kill switch to stop the bike. Too easy for CRS to kick in or a shiny metal object to divert my attention.
Of course, if putting the kickstand down is your habit, you might not want to try to learn a new habit. It'd be a bad day if in your brain you think "Bike's off, that means the kickstand is down."

FWIW, I never use the side stand or kill switch to stop the bike. Too easy for CRS to kick in or a shiny metal object to divert my attention.
Of course, if putting the kickstand down is your habit, you might not want to try to learn a new habit. It'd be a bad day if in your brain you think "Bike's off, that means the kickstand is down."
...but in that case, once would probably break the habit!
uhoh.gif

--G

Well, one would think....

I mean, you'd only ever ride off once with a disc lock on the bike too, right? I mean, who would do it twice? Especially after the first time broke the caliper mount and a mirror in the ensuing drop. Nobody would make that mistake again and end up with a trip to the E.R. right?
rolleyes.gif

You leave the key in the ignition in L.A. you won't have a dead battery, you won't have a bike !!!
+1, Gunny: same here in Phoenix, your FJR would be gone with the wind ese! JSNS, Vamonos! These Chollos would have your FJR en Juarez:

gang20members.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I put my helmet, in a side case or helmet lock, so can't leave the switch on. Only time I do what you do is on a ride where we stop for a butt break and so I just leave the helmet on the seat, or handle bars , only short time and usually notice pretty quickly

I developed a new habit from watching IBR riders get 'welcomed' into Kingsport. An IBR official walked up to them and -- very quietly -- asked two questions in quick succession: "Is your kickstand down? Is it all the way down?"

Each rider turned his/her head and looked down at their stand. So I do that now, too. I look down and watch my sidestand contact the ground and take the weight of the bike.

The ignition is never left on, but I leave the key in the ignition a lot when I walk away .....

Last edited by a moderator: