Stop leaving the key on!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tumblr_mn8gwsuksx1srn473o4_400.jpg
Lupita looks nice. And she's giving the TWN salute, too.

Welcome to the forum, Lupita! :)

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Uncle Hud" data-cid="1258249" data-time="1441987185"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'><p><strong class='bbc'>bigjohnsd</strong> posted: Take 1 six foot length of 34# test monofilament fishing line, Double it, Tie both bitter ends to your key, When you ride, loop the looped end around your balls and fish the key out over your belt, You'll only leave the key in the bike one more time. Guaranteed!</p></blockquote>

<br />

Uh, yeah, I think that would work. Of course I'd need <strong class='bbc'><span class='bbc_underline'>seven</span></strong> feet of monofilament.<br />

.<br />

.<br />

.<br />

.<br />

.<br />

.<br />

.<br />

.<br />

..... because I sit well back on the seat.</p></blockquote>

Must be some stomach you have there, maybe it's time for a Wing?

Did it Friday. Had a friend with jumper cables. And did it again 2 days later at the parking lot at Costco.
Yes, I should remember. I know, the way to stop the bike is to use the key to stop the engine, take it out then. I know that. And, I get somewhere, and I just am thinking about what I'm going to do next, and I leave the keys, not just in the ignition, but ON. And come back 20 minutes later to a dead battery.

I have thought about a tether coil, and I have one I could use.

But, I know what I want. I want something on my key fob, and something in my pocket. And if those two somethings get more than 10 feet apart, they could start buzzing and beeping and honking.

Where can I get one of those?
My daughter has one of those for my Son in Law, don't know where she got it. But I know if he is more than 10 feet away from her she knows it and pitches a fit. LOL

I quit using the handlebar shutdown button due to leaving my key on regularly so long ago I've nearly forgotten it's there. Had a lot of company here recently, someone tripped that button for me and it took me 15-20 seconds to realize why my bike was totally dead in the garage when it worked ok just a few days before.

Stop using that shutdown method and your problem goes away.

Last edited by a moderator:
I quit using the handlebar shutdown button due to leaving my key on regularly so long ago I've nearly forgotten it's there. Had a lot of company here recently, someone tripped that button for me and it took me 15-20 seconds to realize why my bike was totally dead in the garage when it worked ok just a few days before.
Stop using that shutdown method and your problem goes away.
Yamaha has fixed that rather ingeniously. The starter switch is now also the shutoff switch. It seems so easy I don't know why everyone hasn't always done it that way.

Old Guy posted: Yamaha has fixed that rather ingeniously. The starter switch is now also the shutoff switch. It seems so easy I don't know why everyone hasn't always done it that way.
Yes, I also think that was pretty slick thinking. Not like a dramatic leap forward in moto-technology, but it sure solved that little issue.

Now when my bike fails to start, it's because the sidestand's down. (Which is another good example of slick thinking.)