Stranded with a bent rim during X-Country trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
car + trailer would be great, but I recall that it's near impossible to find a place that will rent you anything with a trailer hitch installed (other than the larger sized trucks).
Well, the car rental place probably won't like the idea if they find out, but the last time I rented a light trailer the trailer rental place provided a temporary hitch. That was back when bumpers were bolted solid to the frame so I don't know if they still do that or how they would attach it now, but it might be worth asking about.

Since you are responding to these posts I guess you are still stranded. Sorry to hear that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Etz,

While you're waiting around with nothing to do -- you might want to check-out the classifieds and used-car lots. Often, in the Western U.S. especially, there's a quite adequate half-ton pick-up (the non-popular 6 cyl 3 speed models, for example) for sale for under a grand. And....you can sell it when you get home.

Years ago, when Rollie and Sherrie tried to make it to Sturgis on the Guzzi -- it peeled the chrome on one cylinder and Rollie bought an old DeSoto in one of the Dakotas and removed the back seat and shoe-horned the Guzzi in for the trip back home.

Just a little anecdote to let you know others have been there..... ;)

So how did this all play out? TJ :clapping:
Well, I'd paid for a Saturday delivery FedEx for a new rim, but Yamaha gave me an incorrect tracking number and FedEx chose to not notice the Saturday Delivery notation on the airbill. So on the Saturday, no box was to be found and I had no way of tracking it. This let me to believe that it was never sent so I assumed it would be sent on Monday for Tuesday. On Monday I was emailing with Gary and he sent me the updated tracking number which showed it had been in the FedEx office since early Saturday but nobody knew it was there. This was about noon, so I jumped up, checked out, and scooted over to pickup the wheel. The shop that I'd scoped out to do the bearing and tire job was closed since it was Monday....damn. But there was another shop as a backup that seemed to be a bit more money but at least they were open. I shot over there, made sure the mech was available, and proceeded to tear off the front wheel in the parking lot. Only then did I find out that they sold off the only sport-touring type tire they had. In frustration I had them just move the old tire over to the new rim and I'd deal with it later. After re-mounting the wheel, I returned to the hotel to pickup my junk, and I was officially on the road again, although it was already 3:00 PM by now. I just wish I'd known enough to be at FedEx that morning.

FedEx comped me the shipping charges since they screwed me over so badly.

A few days later I managed to get a new tire in Ft. Smith Arkansas. Pretty good price too.

My trip then brought me down to meet some friends at TWO in N. Georgia, and then a trip up north on the BRP, ending the odo at over 5000 more than when I started. I wish I could've turned around and done another 5.

While you're waiting around with nothing to do -- you might want to check-out the classifieds and used-car lots. Often, in the Western U.S. especially, there's a quite adequate half-ton pick-up (the non-popular 6 cyl 3 speed models, for example) for sale for under a grand. And....you can sell it when you get home.
You know, that's probably the best idea so far. I'll have to remember that one. All the other options were so insanely expensive (U-Haul, HD Shipping), or just too difficult logistically (ForwardAir & Federal shipping drop off points too far away).