Stranded with a bent rim during X-Country trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etz

Reaction score
I picked up my '05 in California this week, and I'm heading home to New York in a very meandering fashion. Trouble is I hit a honkin' big rock and dinged my front rim pretty good. I can't ride it the way it is, but Im having trouble finding a replacement that can get here in less than a week.

Is there anyone within a couple hundred miles of Grand Junction, Colorado who has a wheel to sell or loan? Does anyone have a lead on a shop or boneyard that might have one in stock? This is totally sucking.

Please PM or email

WHile I'm at it, it seems that every freakin' hotel is booked up. I guess I can sit on this patio chair and just surf the free wi-fi all night.

Thanks

I picked up my '05 in California this week, and I'm heading home to New York in a very meandering fashion. Trouble is I hit a honkin' big rock and dinged my front rim pretty good. I can't ride it the way it is, but Im having trouble finding a replacement that can get here in less than a week.
Is there anyone within a couple hundred miles of Grand Junction, Colorado who has a wheel to sell or loan? Does anyone have a lead on a shop or boneyard that might have one in stock? This is totally sucking.

Please PM or email

WHile I'm at it, it seems that every freakin' hotel is booked up. I guess I can sit on this patio chair and just surf the free wi-fi all night.

Thanks

tex said:

Please PM or email

Thanks
You may want to go to a machine shop. They will be able to straighten your wheel good enough to get you going. But now that I think of it, you might be better renting a uhaul and loading up the bike.

Doood, it's snowing like hell at Vail Pass, and Loveland Pass. Prolly spots in between. Bad time of year to be crossing the Rockies!

+1 on the Uhaul. At least get it to Denver and hit a local shop for repair/replacement. A Yammie dealer is just off of I-70 ... very convenient. Cheap hotel across the street.

Coyote Motorsports

301 East 57th Ave Denver CO 80216

Phone: (303) 293-8000 Fax: (303) 292-6945

There is a place in denver that straightens rims. My son messed his up pretty good and they made it lool like new. Woody's wheels. Or call Vickery motorsports. They are the only dealer that stocks any parts in the area. (303)375-4387

Woody's Wheel Works

(303) 936-0232

2225 S Platte River Dr

Denver, CO 80223

As of right now, Mr. Gary McCoy @ University Motors went to bat for me in a big way and is having a rim shipped to me. If all goes to plan, I'll pick it up tomorrow, take it to a shop for tire and bearing install, and get the heck out of here.

As of right now, Mr. Gary McCoy @ University Motors went to bat for me in a big way and is having a rim shipped to me. If all goes to plan, I'll pick it up tomorrow, take it to a shop for tire and bearing install, and get the heck out of here.
Gary sets the bar at a height that even the best dealerships have trouble measuring up to. Glad to hear a plan for a difficult situation is implemented and headed toward success. Now, stop running over rocks; steer around them.

Holy shit Gary is unbelievable!

Is he going to be in Reno for WFO? If so, my guess is that he'll never have a problem finding a drink.

Amazing. I'll have to find a way to send some business Gary's way.

I'm glad you're back on track to finish your trip.

UPDATE... and not a good one at that.

Gary emailed me tracking numbers early this morning. So I go to the Fedex office when they open and there's no box to be found. The tracking number is also not yet logged. Gary's home sick, but someone else at University talked to him and they researched it to the conclusion that the twits at Yamaha did not actually ship it. So now it's not likely to get here until Tuesday assuming that it's only picked up by Fedex on Monday afternoon. Gary was great thru all this (he's actually doing all this on my behalf while he's out with the flu or something). It's the incompetence at Yamaha that has me steamed.

U-haul is looking like a much better option now.

Any tips on U-Hauling? I know that they don't allow bikes, so what do I tell them I want it for? Should I say I'm moving my apartment or something? WOnt it look odd if I roll up and say I'll take that one right now w/o any sort of reservations? Do the trucks have tie down points? What size truck is enough?

Does anyone know of a rim from another bike that might crossover to the FJR?

Are the non-ABS rims OK to use, provided I tie the ABS sensor out of harm's way?

Yeah...don't tell them about the scoot. Tell them you inherited some classic furniture and need to move it back to new york for overhaul. Use some very strong tie downs to hold the scoot in place.....I've heard that clunk before when my buddies beamer broke down and we had to trailor the scoots from oregon to minneapolis. Oh, and when you get back to new york or wherever the hell you are going, be ready to take it in the ass payment wise. For a little taste of that, refer to the brokeback mountain thread.......

I used a 5'x8' Uhaul a few years back to move from GA to NC. No issues fitting the bike in although the tie downs are kind of lame -- wooden slats that run vertically throughout the inside with a few horizontal slats as well. I'm not so sure I would feel all that comfortable if I ever got into an accident but the trailer will suffice in a pinch. The good thing about the trailer, besides price, is that it isn't nearly as high as the truck is so you won't have such a problem getting the bike off/on. Even with the included ramp, the truck is so high up that you'll have issues with the angle once you start transitioning from the ramp to the bed of the truck.... I know. If you must get the truck, then avoid loading it from perfectly flat ground in order to minimize the angle of the ramp.

I used a 5'x8' Uhaul a few years back to move from GA to NC. No issues fitting the bike in although the tie downs are kind of lame -- wooden slats that run vertically throughout the inside with a few horizontal slats as well. I'm not so sure I would feel all that comfortable if I ever got into an accident but the trailer will suffice in a pinch. The good thing about the trailer, besides price, is that it isn't nearly as high as the truck is so you won't have such a problem getting the bike off/on. Even with the included ramp, the truck is so high up that you'll have issues with the angle once you start transitioning from the ramp to the bed of the truck.... I know. If you must get the truck, then avoid loading it from perfectly flat ground in order to minimize the angle of the ramp.
I was thinking about the trailer idea as well. It might be more cost effective to rent a trailer and a car to tow it with, especially when you factor in the fuel. Those trucks use a lot of fuel. Also, it will be easier to get the bike on and off a trailer.

Sorry to hear about your disaster. It sucks to think about you trailering your new bike home after you had such a cool adventure planned.

car + trailer would be great, but I recall that it's near impossible to find a place that will rent you anything with a trailer hitch installed (other than the larger sized trucks).