Strange starting problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the main reason that when you hit the starter button, this problem is instantanious. There is no doubt in your mind within the first crank revolution that something is really wrong.
Taking that specific point in context I wonder if it's not the dreaded FJR Brain Fart syndrome that we've talked about a few times on this forum. I've had it happen three times to where I haven't run the bike for a while and when I hit the starter in the first 1/2 a second I know it just doesn't sound quite right.....and after a couple seconds not a hint it's going to kick over.

First time I had to pound away at the starter in 10-20 second burst trying both full and no throttle and it finally kicked after about a minute or so of starting.

Second time I actually wore the battery out after a minute or two, recharged, wore the battery out again, and it finally kicked over sputtering and lit up....as I was on a slow zero to full throttle turn.

This third time the bike sat for about 2 months and knew it again as I hit the starter. It just seemed a slightly higher pitch and a little faster than usual. I charged the battery and kept the starter on...and this time the sweet spot of it firing seemed to be slowly between zero and 1/3 throttle.

Warchild opines it's the rings freezing in place and compression being down. That would fit with the pitch and speed of the starter being different.

Not and expert and haven't verified the cause, but after 3 tries I know it will light consistently by running that starter until it starts.
You nailed it Ignacio! What you describe is exactly what I'm experiencing.

OK, so if it's in fact the rings sticking, why are they doing that? Cheap gasoline?

This scenario also would explain why I had the perception that after pouring a half-can of Seafoam into the tank last year, that the problem subsided for a while. Maybe it just needs a steady diet of Seafoam for a while...

OK, so if it's in fact the rings sticking, why are they doing that? Cheap gasoline?
I wondered, but somethign you described in your original post threw me off this particular trail.

I don't think it's cheap gasoline.....I tend to go either Shell stations or Chevron....I think they're decent fule. I'm not a fan of E-10...and really not going to be a fan of E-15. It's possible there's some water in the fuel and the rings are rusting or gumming things up. That's speculation....I've got some limited knowledge on ring technology....but seen some horrid pictures of fuel filters on this forum.

My bike also has 135,000 miles on it....hard miles to be sure....road her wet and put her away hard. She doesn't quite have the same spring in her compression step. Maybe my rings are getting sketchy and it's more prone to this...ummmm....syndrome?

After this third go round and validation by you and a couple others I remember through time on the forum--I'd like to try and give a name or term for this syndrome until or unless we confirm a specific cause. I'd like to call it "Fast Starter Spin Non-Start Syndrome" or maybe the even-shorter "Fast Starter Syndrome" unless somebody has a better name.

Last edited by a moderator:
...Maybe it just needs a steady diet of Seafoam for a while...
Cuidado...!

A riding buddy's BMW got hooked on Seafoam -- had to buy it by the case...

His K-75S got amped-up on the stuff -- and, when it wasn't on gas that was laced with Seafoam, it ran like it was on ludes. It almost got to the point of mainlining... :eek:

He was afraid to go cold-turkey.

Seriously, good luck w/yr problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

After this third go round and validation by you and a couple others I remember through time on the forum--I'd like to try and give a name or term for this syndrome until or unless we confirm a specific cause. I'd like to call it "Fast Starter Spin Non-Start Syndrome" or maybe the even-shorter "Fast Starter Syndrome" unless somebody has a better name.
I don't think you're allowed to name the disease until you find the cure for it! ;)

Check the TPS sensor - I had the same exact problem on my '06.

You can actually get to it just above the frame rail on the R/H side and give it a few taps with a hammer handle - if the bike starts normally at that point change the sensor.

You should be able to run diags on the bike using the on-board diag mode and determine if this is the cause as well - but I would be willing to bet that it is.

Good luck!

I'm having a strange starting problem that I can't find any info on. It's been occuring for 1.5 years now, and no one I've talked to can figure it out. Bike is Gen II, now has 42k.

If the bike sits for 2 weeks or more, it doesn't want to start. (Don't give me a hard time about letting it sit; I always have at least one other bike to ride!) And no, the battery isn't the problem. One time it had been sitting nearly a month and my tester showed the battery still had 13.2 volts. It usually has 13.7-13.8 volts.

When you turn the key, gauges react normal, fuel pump sounds like it cycles normal. The engine cranks normal speed, but sounds really weird like it's only firing on 3 or even 2 cylinders. -or like one or more valves are stuck wide-open and it has no compression.

If you give it throttle repeatedly as you hit the starter button, it will sound as if it's 'picking up' another cylinder, then another, until it finally starts and runs for 1 or 2 seconds. Keep whacking the throttle as you hit the starter and eventually it starts and runs rough for 10-30 seconds, then smooths out and runs like nothing ever happened!

If you start it roughly every 10 days or so, it starts and runs perfectly normal like the day it was new.

It will do this in the heat of the summer, or the dead of winter.

I've tried cheap gas, good (no ethanol) gas, adding isopropyl alchohol to remove any water, and Seafoam just because. Nothing makes any difference.

It seems to me like a fuel or sensor problem, but why does it only surface after the bike has not been started in a while? If you start it regularly, it exhibits absolutely no problems.

The mega-dealer down the road is stumped and just says, "bring it to us again after it's sat for two weeks."

Any of you heard of this one?

...after putting in 1 oz per gallon of Seafoam, doing several wheelies to make sure the SeaFoam was properly mixed in the gas, today I had no Problems with starting either Cold or Hot.
After the last dose of 1 oz per gallon of SeaFoam treatment, I have not had the Hot Not Starting syndrome since then.