Street gear for kids

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunMD

Reaction score
My 9 year old son will be spending the summer w/ me and he's very excited about riding. We've ridden quite a bit but I've never managed to find him what I consider to be the right gear. I'm looking for a jacket, pants, gloves and maybe even some motorcycle specific boots in kids sizes. I've found nothing but off-road stuff so far. The off road stuff may help, but I'd really like to find him some stuff made for use on street bikes...but not novelty stuff. I'd like to find him a jacket w/ armor and some pants w/ armor, too.

Any recommendations?

im004166.jpg

My son also starting riding with me at age 9...I initially used a kids leather and jean jacket in cooler weather but wanted more protection, also. Look at Joe Rocket in ladies small and XS..the XS fit my son at age 9 and he is not big. For gloves, we found some ladies XS leather gloves. Boots...a good pear of hiking books that are water proof, lightweight, and at a minimum cover the ankle. Pants...nothing available..he wears good jeans and water proof sport pants over them..until he can fit into the ladies small sizes..Good luck.

-I've been in the same position; like 'johnsa1' my 8 year old son wears good quality hiking boots, a plain leather jacket, also some armored dirt bike gloves, as well as an HJC 'true' youth sized street helmet. In my region though his jacket gets hot quick. The recommendation to look at the JRocket ladies line is a good one; we had the same idea as when my wife & I checked out their 'new model line' for women; we found the sizes to run ridiculously small.

Just a couple of weeks ago, though, I had to go to a BMW motorcycle dealership for an item and discovered a BMW-brand armored textile jacket made specifically for kids; it was blue/white/blk, fully armored, looked sharp, closely resembled a JRocket Meteor jacket (had some vents, but no mesh) of course, it had BMW logos on the sleeves and price to match, about 180.00; looked like it would fit a 8 or 9 year old. I made inquiries, & the accessories chick (how come they're always women?) ;) told me that they normally stock them *and* can get other youth sizes. I didn't see any pants. I went to to the BMW's website, it mentions nothing about it. Next time I'm by there I'll get more detailed info & post it.

Thanks nusman, any additional info you can provide will certainly help. Gotta keep my biggest fan safe, ya know!

This doesn't happen to be the jacket you saw does it???

jacket_club.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Gun

-that one looks very similar, except the one they had had full armor; the pic you show looks to me it is more like a light jacket/windbreaker? I'll get more info...

Last edited by a moderator: