Stripped Oil Pan

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TalioGladius

Reaction score
So I was just changing my oil in my 05 thinking how amazingly well things were going with it. Hadn't spilled a drop of oil, guessed correctly on bolt sizes the first time, etc... Basically perfect timing for Murphy to rear his ugly mug.

Well I grab the drain plug to wipe it off and put it back in, when it looked like it was stripped. Well actually the threads from the oil pan came off with the plug itself. This is what I had to spin off of the drain plug...

DSC_0761.JPG

The plug will go in but won't tighten, it just spins. With the exhaust right there it looks like a pain in the ass to replace the oil pan myself so getting it into the back of my truck and to the shop without starting it will be fun... :glare:

This happen to anyone else? Am I correct in thinking the entire oil pan will need to be replaced?

This happen to anyone else? Am I correct in thinking the entire oil pan will need to be replaced?
Ouch. Major suckage.

Unfortunately, talked about many, many times on the forum including searching on stripped oil pan site:fjrforum.com as exampled here including discussion about replacing and thread repairing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone that has done timesert before know what size kit to get?
Didn't know the answer, but again Google is your friend. time sert oil drain mm site:fjrforum.com yields this with the answer inside....including details of somebody who did it.

Didn't know the answer, but again Google is your friend. time sert oil drain mm site:fjrforum.com yields this with the answer inside....including details of somebody who did it.
Actually, this is for a helicoil insert into a Kawi Measn Streak (12 X 1.5). I know that our FJR oil bolts are 14 X 1.5, but I don't know which Time-Sert length folks are using for this fix. I couldn't find the size listed in any searches, but I'm not the sharpest when it comes to the search functions. I'm watching this cuz I may be in the same boat...

05 eh? I wonder what else the previous owner screwed up...Gawd knows this ain't the first time that plug was out :rolleyes:

Can't believe this shit still happens.... :blink:

Yeah, somebody pissed in my wheaties Sue me for bein' an ass.............

:jester:

05 eh? I wonder what else the previous owner screwed up...Gawd knows this ain't the first time that plug was out :rolleyes: Can't believe this shit still happens.... :blink:

Yeah, somebody pissed in my wheaties Sue me for bein' an ass.............

I'm the original owner and have done all the oil changes myself. I'm 100% at fault for it. :assassin:

I'm the original owner and have done all the oil changes myself. I'm 100% at fault for it. :assassin:

Dooooddddd!! An honest answer? No blame cast towards others? Accepting responsibility?

I'm looking for good help.. You need a job?

I think I'm gonna like you mang :D

Welcome to Strippers Anonomous. Oil pans cost around $200 plus installation. Plan B is an oversize self tapping plug for around $5. Try Plan B first and if you have no leaks, you have no problems. If it leaks, then you're out $205 (plus installation). There are other options in the theads.

Well, now I'm wondering! I use torque wrenches whenever I can. But, I've developed a distrust for "click" wrenches. When the opportunity is there, I use a "Torque Meter" because you can watch the torque increase instead of sweating out the "CLICK!"

I use a mirror to see this indicator with the oil drain plug. Works. So, my question is, do people think the factory recomended torque is too much for the drain bolt? Perhaps the "CLICK!" on poeple's wrenches are not accurate anymore? If you knock off a few pounds are you asking for trouble?

Thoughts?

Dooooddddd!! An honest answer? No blame cast towards others? Accepting responsibility?

I'm looking for good help.. You need a job?

I think I'm gonna like you mang :D

heh, working for the government made me develop an absolute hatred for automatic finger pointing.
Anyways the worst part about this entire thing is I have the old oil still sitting in the drain bucket because I couldn't put the new oil into the engine. I usually put the old oil into the container and now I have no way to contain and dispose of it.

I think I'm going to try the timesert, I just have no clue what size to get. It also looks like you can only order the kits from timesert, and I have no idea how much it costs.

Well, now I'm wondering! I use torque wrenches whenever I can. But, I've developed a distrust for "click" wrenches. When the opportunity is there, I use a "Torque Meter" because you can watch the torque increase instead of sweating out the "CLICK!"
I use a mirror to see this indicator with the oil drain plug. Works. So, my question is, do people think the factory recomended torque is too much for the drain bolt? Perhaps the "CLICK!" on poeple's wrenches are not accurate anymore? If you knock off a few pounds are you asking for trouble?

Thoughts?
As has been discussed before, don't use the torque wrench for the oil drain plugs. There is a crush washer on the plugs. Once the (new) crush washer is compressed, STOP. If you're re-using the crush washer, understand that it's already as flat as it's going to get, so you only need a little snugging up of the bolt so it doesn't fall out.

It's all about the feel. If you're leaning into it, it's too friggin' tight. ;)

Here's maybe a helpful suggestion, but I install my drain plugs (rear end and oil pan) with a new copper or aluminum gaskets to no more than 17 ft/lbs. Copper gaskets are available cheap at most auto parts stores (14mm bolt for both holes), and are reusable for awhile. The 35 ft/lbs for the oil drain is sucker-bait, given that the exact same bolt in the rear end gets torqued to 17, or just snugged up with a short 6" wrench.

Hope you get the thread inserts in ok and everything fixed. I've read of metal creep, wherein metal under stress (high torque or loading combined with heat and vibration) can slowly move and shear. Perhaps that's what happened here - but, water over the falls. As they say, "easy does it".

Gary in Fairbanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone that has done timesert before know what size kit to get?
Since I couldn't find this info anywhere, and I just changed my oil last night, I measure the oil pan bolt. Here is the answer to this question (at least for a Gen II bike).

M14 X 1.5 is definately the thread pitch. Grip length is 0.65" (16 mm).

The Timesert kit to use is the 1415A (M14 X 1.5, 11mm length).