Sturgis 2013 unintended SS1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR-RemingtonRider

Their Sunset / My Sunrise
Reaction score
So, finally got a trip to go right. 2013 Road trip to Sturgis, South Dakota. Missed some roads back in 2011. Not to mention, I really get a kick out of getting that "I rode mine patch", looks cool on my riding gear...specially since I have a lot of Harley buddies.

Had many installations to do, with just a day after my plane landed from the east, we were set to leave.

Installed the R/R harness, Installed Gerauld brackets, and pegs I picked up from Amazon-rubber inserts.

Set up camping gear, Full maintenance inspection and ready to roll.

So, started out at 6am, Houston, TX. Met up with fellow rider and his spouse and another couple pulling a trailer. I had warned that when I ride distances, I have to stay focused and at a on spot speed limit of travel; if not we will meet up at the final destination. Well after three attempts of starting and waiting for them to catch up, apparently the trailer couple wasn't in a big hurry. Let's just say by the Woodlands, I was gone. I called him and confirmed just that.

Well, I was just enjoying riding, after traveling so much this last year and only riding every other weekend, that open road was just too much. I started posting on FB, my stops and collected first receipt in Dallas out of habit. Planned to stop in Salinas, KS for the night. Well arrived in Salinas around 4, and it wasn't as hot as anticipated. Hydration system was still half full. What really surprised me was how well my riding conditioning still was. I was expecting to have to pop 5hr energy or something. Nope, I ate small meals at each gas fill, approx. 3hrs intervals.

Well, things look so good in Salinas, that I just kept going. Next thing I was thinking a SS1000 for this bike. Haven't done one on this bike. Truth be told, the previous ones I kept procrastinating sending in for verification..(wonder what the statute of limitations are?? hmmmm)

Kept rolling, temps were in 80 and, Kansas wasn't so bad. I dreaded the darn cornfields. Last time rode through Nebraska, all you could taste and feel was the cornfields....and cornfields, and counting well sprinklers. I planned on missing those anyways and going west. however in Salinas, there was a Tornado watch in that western part of my travels. So, straight to Grand Island. Arrived there, and weather was cool. I felt good, so I kept going. Thinking that I was getting tired right at the 1000k mile mark. Every darn motel was full, so I set the target for Valentine, NE. Made it and didn't care for wanting to camp just for one night, and their motels/hotels were all full too.

Well, it's not a BBgold, with only 1300 miles, but why not just keep rolling and go all the way.

And that is just what I did, arrived in Rapid City, SD at 4:30am.

Well, now that I am here, I am pretty much want to ride a couple areas and go home, but my riding party won't be here till late this evening.

Not much of a ride report, but I am definitely sending these receipts in....heck, maybe even the others from 3 yrs ago. It's something about just doing it that kind of gives you a satisfaction; that does it all for you.

Surprisingly enough I actually saw a blue FJR with a passenger in Rapid City.

You know, this is something I don't get.

Why do folks come early to ride the week before the rally?

I mean what is that all about, people make huge deals about wanting to do the ride, but don't want to be around the crowds...well if that's the case, why in the hell would you do your ride during the hottest part of the year and one week before the largest rally around, you can do it in the spring...just a thought while solo riding, and seeing people going in the opposite direction.

Thanks for letting me share this unintended SS1000. Three more days of camping and riding the Black Hills.

Congrats Willie !!!

Enjoy the Black Hills, and safe ride back to Houston.

Thanks to you witnessing for my wife, she has her IBA#. Make sure you send in the paper work before it is misplaced.

I've had several rides lately vanish. LOL
rolleyes.gif

Yea, congrats Willie!

When I picked up my "new to me" 2013 from littlefish Memorial weekend, I planned for 3 days coming back to Michigan. But the weather was looking poor for the end of day 2 and all of day 3. So day 2 I put on 940 miles from the middle of South Carolina back to Michigan....unintended!

Couldn't sit down for the next 2 days thou.....
not_i.gif

Gratis!

Well made it back to Htown today at 4:15am, Left Denver at 10:30am mtn.

Had a great time, riding that Spearfish Canyon really made the trip worthwhile.

Actually saw more FJR's this trip.

One gent; met at the "Dances w/Wolves set" rides a 06. says he is not on the forum though..not any more.

Saw several riding along with other cruiser types as myself.

Riding from Denver, saw a fellow in Kansas, he was coming into the station as I was leaving.......