Suggestions on Kitchen Appliances

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponyfool

Reaction score
My house caught on fire at the end of July (my Bandit battery exploded during charging). Anyhow, our kitchen has been gutted, and the design guy is looking to my wife and I for the types of appliances we are going to get.

We had a 36 year old (original with house) Jenn-Air electric range, a 4 year old Kenmore (by Whirlpool) dishwasher, a 10 year old Kenmore electric wall oven, and a 10 year old Admiral (by Maytag) refrigerator.

We are getting $1800 for the fridge, $900 for the range, $1000 for the oven and $500 for the dishwasher. Even though we are getting $4200 for the replacements, we'd still like to stay under $6000 total.

My questions are, what advice do you guys have for specific brands/styles of the above appliances? My wife thinks she would like one of the french door refrigerators with the freezer down below, but we don't know anyone that has one to see if they like it or not, or what the pluses and minuses are. We also don't want one that matches the cabinets, just a stand alone is fine.

As for the range/oven, we are not gourmet cooks, and don't need a Viking, but we would like a quality one. We are probably looking at going away from a separate range and oven and going with a slide in combo. We think we want a gas top with an electric oven, but again, don't have experience with them. We know we do not want one of those glass top red filament electrics, our rental house has one of those, and it's not what we would prefer.

Dishwashers, we want clean dishes, but what we really want is QUIET!

Thanks for any input.

Our house was fitted with all Kenmore appliances back in 1977. We have since always replaced with Kenmore and have had good service throughout. In 30 years we are on our 2nd refrigerator, second stove/oven, third dishwasher and third washer/dryer. Refrigerator and stove/oven were still functioning when replaced (they were a little tired and were replaced with a remodel in 1994), the dishwashers were worn out and needed replacing as were the washer/dryers. I know Kenmores are rebadged appliances by other manufacturers but if you wish to coordinate brands, plus one stop shopping, it's not a bad way to go, at least in my experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a fire several years ago, and it was horrible experience being put out of your home, dealing with insurance companies (or fighting) and contractors. Since my wife is sooooooooooooooo meticulous about "Her" kitchen, we went for GE Monogram stove and GE Profile ref. Not only are they good looking, affordable, they are just very very nice appliances. Just tell your wife "It just makes the kitchen", and shop till you drop until you get the lowest price you can get for them even if it is shipped from another state. As for the GE profile ref, you can have the contractor to buy inserts to match the front panel, the GE profile has brackets that allow that as show in our kitchen.

kitchen.jpg

kitchen2.jpg

We had a loud contractor dishwasher and I replaced it with the top o the line Maytag a few years back. It cleans great and you can have a conversation right next to it, Although it does not seem as quiet as when it was brand new. cost was around $600 IIRC.

On the dishwasher, consider Bosch. We LOVE ours. Quiet as a church mouse and cleans anything you put in it.

We also took a chance on a Samsung fridge and it's been great. Many cool features and very well made.

Pony, Sears is still an excellent source for appliances and they service everything. Good price and extended warranty program too. With today's electronic brains always go with the extended warranty.

As a professional kitchen designer and in the bidness for (HOLY SHIT!!!! :blink: ) 29 years here's my pick for appliances by group:

Cooking: Dacor, preferably their mid-range Epicure series.

Refrigeration: Kenmore/Maytag/Dacor/Jenn-Air french door models, cabinet depth. All are made by Maytag - even Viking's hoity toity stuff is and all have great components.

Dishwasher: Meile Integrated

Disposal: Insinkerator or Waste King both have ultra quiet models recently introduced.

Ventilation: Sirius Range Hoods - They have remote controls - need I say more?

By the way, loosen up the wallet a bit. I don't see many appliance packages much under $10,000 and indeed, my average is prolly $20 -25,000. (I don't sell 'em, I just specify 'em.) Hell, I just spec'd a La Cornue fancy-ass French range, it alone was $42,000.

-TWN, CKD ;)

By the way, loosen up the wallet a bit. I don't see many appliance packages much under $10,000 and indeed, my average is prolly $20 -25,000. (I don't sell 'em, I just specify 'em.) Hell, I just spec'd a La Cornue fancy-ass French range, it alone was $42,000.
-TWN, CKD ;)
Dude, I'm a cop (yes, and honest one) and my wife's a half time school teacher in a private school. Your prices for appliances are more than I'm spending on the entire kitchen!

However, having said that, I appreciate the input. Right now, more in my price range, we are looking at the LG french door fridge (Maytag has one just like it for the same price) and the Frigidaire range below:

7740313_ra.jpg
7572913_sa.jpg

We are also looking at a Bosch dishwasher, but not sure on that yet. Side note, even though the images are from Best Buy, this is NOT where we will be buying them from.

I'd recommend the typical over/under fridge/freezer with the freezer on the bottom. It puts the most accessed area up where it's easier to get to. I'd not recommend a split door for the refrigerator since it makes the space more difficult to manage (IMO).

We just replaced our stove/oven (combo) and got the smooth cook surface type with a range hood/microwave combo. We went with Whirlpool because we talked to a lot of people about reliability and longevity and it was at the top for any given price range we were interested in.

We have an Amana refrigerator and I would suggest you stay way. It's lasted a long time, but there are little things we're always having to do to it that we haven't had to do with other brands. Same with out Amana washer and dryer.

We replaced our builder model dish washer with a Whirlpool about 4 years ago and are still pleased with the choice.

We just replaced the disposal with an Insinkerator. The water in the faucet is louder than the disposal when it's running. It was about 2 or 3 times heavier than the unit that died.

As a professional kitchen designer and in the bidness for (HOLY SHIT!!!! :blink: ) 29 years here's my pick for appliances by group:
Hmmmm. Guy with a clean bike is an interior designer. Who'd a thunk it?
Interior designer?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why you low life piece of camel dung! How dare you infer that I'm a pillow pusher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I, sir, am an architect of fine gourmet kitchens and NOT an interior designer, thankyouverymuch! Much as you spook around the homo clubs of DC, you should know the difference, observer-boy. By the way... I train birds to shit on clean bikes in my spare time. How's the side case, Buffy? ;)

:****:

Hmmmm. Guy with a clean bike is an interior designer. Who'd a thunk it?
Interior designer?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why you low life piece of camel dung! How dare you infer that I'm a pillow pusher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I, sir, am an architect of fine gourmet kitchens and NOT an interior designer, thankyouverymuch! Much as you spook around the homo clubs of DC, you should know the difference, observer-boy. By the way... I train birds to shit on clean bikes in my spare time. How's the side case, Buffy? ;)

:****:
I wish I had ever paid attention in English Lit. If I had, I'd quote some mean Othello soliloquy foo that would be the shit right here.

The August 2006 issue ofConsumer Reports has a writeup on appliances. Haven't read it but +1 on the Bosch dishwasher. Had one in my last house and it was great for the six years I was there.

A few ideas based on one I recently did...

I don't know if you're going with a gas range, but I wanted a professional style range at our lake cabin without spending a ton of money... such as $5k or so for a DCS, Wolfe, Viking, 5 Star, etc. I found a 36", 6-burner (sealed), stainless front & 22" stainess backsplash range for about $1,500. It's from a company called Premier. It also has a big-ass griddle that fits over 2 burners; it's stored in the side door. I added a Broan Rangemaster wall-mount vent for around $500. Don't go the recirculation vent route, you really need to take the air all the way outside. Here's how it looks...

IMG_1032.jpg

If you're going beyond Formica to a higher-end counter, check out quartz... it's about the same price as granite, but is more durable (I don't think they warranty granite installs, not sure).

On the bottom shelves where you'll be storing pots, pans, tupperware; put in shelves that slide out on rails... she'll love you for it.

If you're planning on a ceramic tile floor and don't know how to do it yourself, get a book and a wet saw, that saved me a bunch of money. Since the kitchen is narrow, I used 12 inch tiles. For a wider, larger kitchen, check out the 18 inch tiles.

This a galley kitchen, so I was limited to how deep the fridge could be... you may not have that limitation, but do take depth (as well as height and width) into consideration.

IMG_1012.jpg

I hope this helps. Good luck.

You guys are all fuckin high. 42 large for a stove????. 20g avg for appliances? No wonder the worlds pissin on US flags........ Oh, and on topic, Whirlpools done right by me fer years.... ;)

We are going with quartz countertops. We also are going back to hardwood floors in the entry way, hallways, guest bath, kitchen and dining room. We really liked that before, so we are staying with it again. We have tile in our master bath.

We may well end up with a 36" range, not sure about $$, but we are definately getting gas burners on top with an electric oven.

I just bought a GE gas stove with gas convection oven and second drawer oven (electric) on the bottom. It also comes with a griddle.

$1700

We got the LG side by side 26 CU ft with ice/water dispenser.

$1137

LG super quiet diswasher

$850

All prices include deliver, installation and removal of previous pos.

2nd month ride report: Happy with all of em.

I never new guys knew so much about kitchens.You pantywaists are seriously starting to worry me !! :blink:
I dunno...something about starting to work in restaurants at age 12 and through age 30 has me somewhat familiar with cooking. Wanna fight about it? B)