Suggestions on luggage rack bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FiveG

Reaction score
Anyone have suggestions on a good, perhaps soft-ish, bag that works well on the OEM luggage rack for those trips when you "need" a little more space than the sidecases hold, but you don't want to use a top case?

Not alot that will fit on the Lame-O stock rack. If you're willing to mount something to the passenger seat area (if you don't have a passenger obviously), that opens up a lot of options.

Not alot that will fit on the Lame-O stock rack. If you're willing to mount something to the passenger seat area (if you don't have a passenger obviously), that opens up a lot of options.
exactly Mr. Scoot...and just around town, my Nelson Rigg Weekender is my backrest...

I don't leave the hangar without it unless carrying one of the family on the back...

Now if they would fit on the rack or on top of the trunk, I'd still have my backrest...

They don't seem to like my shoulder blades pressing into their chest...

I like my trunk. Its easy to take off and carry into a room. I agree with Skooter, not a lot of options without using the rear seat.

You can use one of these to secure a pack, grocery bag or what ever..

916297878_EUnPL-L.jpg

You should super glue the little caps on the hooks. I need to get a blue one for my '05. This one is for my red KLR.

They stretch really large you can get quite a lot under them an attach to various points.

With no passenger I use a Nelson Riggs Tail Bag mounted on the back seat - it holds enough plus it makes a decent back rest on longer trips. If I need even more space I'll strap a my Nelson Riggs Roll Bag on the luggage rack too. Here she is loaded for a 4 day run to Maine and back.

9333_1187085810909_1641228495_462678_269151_n.jpg

Anyone have suggestions on a good, perhaps soft-ish, bag that works well on the OEM luggage rack for those trips when you "need" a little more space than the sidecases hold, but you don't want to use a top case?
I have been using the Cortech tail bag which works very well:

cortechbag.jpg

Just so happens mine is for sale; $50 shipped from Blaine, WA.

I have this

https://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q...ved=0CCgQzAMwAg

Dowco IronRider main trunk bag from my 1800VTX. Worked very well on the luggage rack there and straps on very securely to both the stock luggage rack and the Yamaha mounting plate for the trunk. It has internal mounting straps that tuck and zipper away when not needed. Has a good rain cover, lots of compartments, and doubles as a pretty good overnight bag as well.

For the Alaska trip, this will be on the passenger seat in front of the Yamaha top case. Reasonable cost as well.

JCRWBikeTour016.jpg

I like soft luggage. This set up was a 2 up five day trip. More than ample room. The duffel is an ortlieb form Aerostich. A nice waterproof bag, easy top access. I have it on a garauld (forum member) rack which I can not say enough good about. I also use a med mofizz camp bag, also from aerostich. When I am alone on a camping trip, I use both. The soft luggage gives me more adversity for my rack for many other things. Have not tried a hard trunk yet. Lots of choices out there! Cheers, Jerome

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

may I suggest ANDY STRAPZ BAGS, you can also get an expandable bag that goes on the bottom as well.

Mine will hold a change of cloths, sleeping bag, foam ground sheet and other stuff. Easy on easy off.

Regards

Surly

Upright not Uptight

I know the bag that you want. It is at your Yamaha dealer! This the way I found it. Back in '08 Motorcyclist ran a test of the WR250 in their Doin' Time section. Eric Putter put some luggage on the WR 250 and I noticed the wedge shape of the rear fender tail bag. One photo showed the bag mounted on the fender and another from the front showed the headlight. Using the small headlight as a reference I estimated the size of the bag. The bag fit so well you'd think it was made for the FJR. I turned the bag around and fit the narrow tapered end to the front. Since it's a dirt bike accessory it's extremely durable. It has a thick nylon plastic base that can be drilled out to mount in the center bolt hole of your rack. You'll need one metric grade 8.8 bolt 2 1/4 inches long (total), one fender washer and two thin rubber washers 2 inches in diameter, and and two smaller diameter washers to make the bolt thread in the same distance as the stock bolt. The hard part is drilling the hole to make a perfect fit. The hole is 3 7/8 inches from the center of the front edge of the hard plastic base. Push the plastic base forward to the front when you drill the hole. If you drill the hole 19/64ths of an inch the bolt will thread through the base, making a perfect slop free mount. You have to push the bag forward so the front will fit the contour of the grab bar. Keep pushing and aligning until both of the welts on the sides of the bag fit into the cast in flanges on the rack. Thread the bolt through 1/2 inch and use Loctite.

See photo of the bag at https://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products...0/0/detail.aspx