Summer jacket recommendations?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vanson Ventmax is a great choice. Flows more air than anyone of the others I'm familar with, has CE armor at all points, 1000+ level nylon and the current generation has pockets. They originally called it a 'shirt'.

Jack.

+1 or much more to the Motoport/Cycleport Kevlar mesh. It is as cool as a Joe Rocket mesh, but way more protective. Kevlar! Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Yes. I don't see another good choice.
Gunny10!

Crash tested by yours truly.

Honestly, mine is a bit warmer than my FirstGear Hypertex, about the same as my FirstGear Kilimanjaro Air. However, with the zip-in rain liner it protects me adequately and the Cycleport certainly passes enough air to cause my MiraCool evaporative vest to function well.

Here in the Central Valley of California we see Summer temperatures of 100+ (last week we had 4 days of 95 degree temps). Mine worked well heading across NV and UT for NAFO in Golden CO in July last year.

I've got an older Joe Rocket mesh that's got perforated leather on the shoulders and elbows, all the way from the outside of the wrists up and across, to provide some protection. My perforated leather Olympia is only good to about 80 degrees, but it is DEFINITELY crash-tested. :blink:

I'll second Rev'it. I bought the Air jacket, rode to Houston on Mother's Day in balmy 90deg weather and was quite comfortable. I've been wearing dry-fit shirts underneath on the hot days.

I've got the Olympia AST for fall/winter/spring and just bought the Olympia Airglide (??) for summer - the mesh jacket. I like the quality of the Olympia's - my one complaint on the mesh jacket is the roaming shoulder armor. The mest liner is not attached at the shoulders and the armor is in a pocket in the liner. So, I have to grap the armor and move it to my shoulder when I put the jacket on. I'm mulling over ways to secure the armor because roaming armor isn't good! The jacket flows air well and both of my jackets are the neon yellow - heck, I'm already married to a beautiful woman, doesn't matter what I look like!

My coolest most comfortable summer jacket is the Olympia Airglide 2 Mesh Tech Jacket. It gets hot as hell here in Dallas in the summer. Mine's neon yellow. What it lacks in protection it more than makes up in visibility.

airglide01.jpg
airglide03.jpg

My favorite jacket is the Tour Master Cortech GX-Air 2 Hybrid Leather/Mesh Jacket, bumble bee color with leather shoulders, elbows and back padding. But when it really gets hot, it doesn't let as much air through as the Olympia.

19656_5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My coolest most comfortable summer jacket is the Olympia Airglide 2 Mesh Tech Jacket. It gets hot as hell here in Dallas in the summer. Mine's neon yellow. What it lacks in protection it more than makes up in visibility.
airglide01.jpg
airglide03.jpg

My favorite jacket is the Tour Master Cortech GX-Air 2 Hybrid Leather/Mesh Jacket, bumble bee color with leather shoulders, elbows and back padding. But when it really gets hot, it doesn't let as much air through as the Olympia.

19656_5.jpg
wow, you are one handsome fella :rolleyes:

<I do have some razor blades you can borrow, however>

What size do you wear?, I have Kilimajaro Air XL Tall Blk/Yel for sale $100.00 you can come by and try it on if you want, it's has a water proof liner and with the liner out it's mesh and very cool for hot days, I used for one season

Marcus

Joe Rocket 4.0 silver and black, mostly silver the best that I have found very cool in high temps

I have a TourMaster Intake , with the liner out I wear it all summer long here in Georgia , love it . Has waterproof and insulated liners as well that I've worn down to 40F . Of the 5 jackets I own , it is the most versatile.

I've got the Olympia AST for fall/winter/spring and just bought the Olympia Airglide (??) for summer - the mesh jacket. I like the quality of the Olympia's - my one complaint on the mesh jacket is the roaming shoulder armor. The mest liner is not attached at the shoulders and the armor is in a pocket in the liner. So, I have to grap the armor and move it to my shoulder when I put the jacket on. I'm mulling over ways to secure the armor because roaming armor isn't good! The jacket flows air well and both of my jackets are the neon yellow - heck, I'm already married to a beautiful woman, doesn't matter what I look like!
+1 on Olympia. I've got an AST for cooler rides and a Bushwhacker (mesh version of AST) for hot weather . Works great! Neon yellow is fugly, BUT the cagers DO seem to notice it!

While I am saving my nickels and dimes for full kevlar protection, I am wearing a Scorpion Hat Trick. It is a mesh jacket that has removable waterproof and insulating liners. I have been happy with it's versatility and fit. I had mine ordered without all the fancy writing..... just not my look.

Well, after debating for a loooooonnnnnnnnngggg time, perusing all your suggestions, and thinking what the "impact" :lol: of a severe case of road rash might have on my guitar playing/teaching, I bit the bullet and ordered the Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar jacket with the quad armor. That's actually more money than I spent on my first bike, back in '64, a Honda CB92R, that if I remember correctly, I spent about $500 on! Boy, do I wish that I still had that li'l bugger; it was a lot of fun! Anyway, thanks guys, for all the help. Hopefully, it's gonna stay cool, here in the Great Northwest, for the next 6 weeks; long wait, but I actually feel good about spending the money for something made here in the good ol' US!

My vote goes with Exskibum, Solo and MM2. Cycleport kevlar mesh. Nothing else comes close for a serviceable combination of venting and protection. Also, you can wear 'em year-round with the zip-in wind/rain liners and some form of fleece (cycleport offers a fleece liner but if you have your own already you do not need theirs). I have tried a half-dozen other jackets and I would be willing to bet that those other three converts have each tried a whole lot more than that before opting for their Cycleport gear.

Last edited by a moderator: