Super Detailing My FJR after a great ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgfella

Reaction score
What a great Sunday I had. I went out for a very long & twisty ride, and was really in the groove, keeping pace with my Ducati buds. After I got home, I decided to wash my bike as the wheels looked like crud, and the shine had gone off my baby.

I started with a bucket of water, but then quickly progressed to waxing, metal polishing, and the q-tip treatment for those hard to reach areas. After all was said and done and 2 hours passed, I stepped backed and began to admire my bike like it was brand new again, but quickly realized it is even better than that. After nearly 2 years, I'm loving every minute of FJR ownership.

When you guys get out of control with respect to cleaning your bike, what do you do?

This thread is useless without pictures.

Let me guess, blue bike?

Those things look nice when they're clean, but mine looks nice dirty too. :p

Galaxy Blue of course.

I actually was running to get my digital camera for a photo shoot when SWMBO called and said dinner had been on the table for 30 minutes getting cold. Since I had pushed the envelope all day, I closed up things and went inside after a long, lingering glance at my ride. I am going to take the bike out with the camera for a recent picture.

What a great Sunday I had. I went out for a very long & twisty ride, and was really in the groove, keeping pace with my Ducati buds. After I got home, I decided to wash my bike as the wheels looked like crud, and the shine had gone off my baby.
I started with a bucket of water, but then quickly progressed to waxing, metal polishing, and the q-tip treatment for those hard to reach areas. After all was said and done and 2 hours passed, I stepped backed and began to admire my bike like it was brand new again, but quickly realized it is even better than that. After nearly 2 years, I'm loving every minute of FJR ownership.

When you guys get out of control with respect to cleaning your bike, what do you do?

It happens. I stop myself, put on my helmet and gear, and go for a ride. Amazing how I don't care if I missed a spot when I hit the first twisty.

I went out yesterday to just wipe the dust off with some soft microfiber towels and it turned into a 2 hour detailing session. You should see how long it takes when I do a full bore clean up on it. :dribble:

GP

I avoid cleaning the FJR. Everytime I start cleaning, there's something that looks horrible compared to the area I just cleaned. The cleaning escalates. I never made it to the q-tip manifestation, but I do have the disease :D

Finish cleaning it, stand back, admire my work, smile, get on and go get it dirty again.

I remember when I first got this bike then took it apart to farkel and decided to take all the panels to the car wash for cleaning, yes I do take my bike apart a lot! better half just looks in dismay.

Always seem to be in trouble for those long rides, why do you have to go so far away, why can't you ride around here she ask?

I just smile and say because i'm in search of more roads with turns and less traffic. adventure riding I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is removing the bodywork, seats, wheels, calipers considered out of control? I only go that far once a year. Other times, it's bucket wash and sheepskin.

You mean we are suppost to wash them! Next thing you know we be told that we need to change the oil too!

Removing the body work for cleaning? Wow, I'm humbled by everyone elses craziness. I only remove the tupperware to farkle. I've never taken car of my cars to this degree. I think the wife gets jealous when I give that much attention to the bike.

This weekend, while I was cleaning it, I tried to teach my son some things about bikes/cars. I showed him disc brakes on the car, then asked him to find them on the bike. I used a paper plate to show him how the calipers grab the disc. He's too young to help me clean the bike, he's almost 6. I showed him the lugs on the car, and the axle nut on the bike. He seemed to get a kick out of it. He asked me why there were 2 discs in the front, and one in the back. This was tough to explain to a 5 1/2 year old, but I think he got it.

At one point he touched it just prior to the waxing. It made me nuts, but I kept trying to show him things. I'm hoping that by age 10, he'll detail it for me!

when I had the Holeshot full system installed by Dale Walker and his wrench Richard at cycle Imports, I asked Richard if while the plastic was off if he had anyone wnat to clean the non street side. He said No! so I let it go and just sprayed polish the outside.

When I got back from Americade I took my FJR down to the frame. It's really easy to deep clean the bike when all the plastic is off it. Looked like a brand new bike when I was done polishing everything.

During the winter I do major maintenance with most of the body work off. I detail my bike very thoroughly then, toothbrush and Q-Tip stuff. My bike remains a shining beauty until I ride it. Every bike I have owned has been very, very clean. When I sold my '85 Honda the guy that bought it initially thought it was a new bike.

Then comes Feejer. I will ride to work in the rain if it promises to be a nice afternoon. I will ride to work if it is a beautiful morning, even knowing that I will ride home in the rain. Given a choice between washing my bike on the weekend or going for a ride, hands down the ride wins :D During the summer I've given up keeping poor Feejer clean and have given it the nickname Pigen. I got Feejer to open up my riding season which it has done wonderfully. The trade has been having a dirty bike :( I do wash/wax my bike fairly often but it rarely stays clean more than a few days. I think I will go for a ride and forget about it... Perhaps I need to change my user name and avatar:

Pigpen

pigpen.gif

I decided to really take care of my FJR, I went out and bought actual car wash soap , with wax in it even.....

Although I'm not real interested in the cleaning and polishing aspect, I do like to wash the bike carefully so I can inspect everything that is visible with the plastics on. I don't take parts off for cleaning but do inspect everything when I 'raise the hood' for a new farkle or whatever.

My idea of detailing is to plunk an extra quarter in the meter or a quick wipe down on a dewy morning. :p

Y'all keep talking. I'm just going to break into a little Patsy Cline.

"Crazy....[la dee dee da dee dee da da]"

I'm getting a little worried about some of you folks being off your meds too long. Perhaps a bit obsessive?

There are so many interesting and fun things to do, including riding the FJR, riding off road, riding the blue bike some more and doing stuff with the family (for points), working (to pay for the bikes and farkles and kids in college) and the many other interests that keep us alive.

I can't imagine more than 10 or 15 minutes cleaning the windscreen and hosing off the bike for the next ride.

Am I alone here?