Super Tech oil filters

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim oneill

triplex
Reaction score
Went to 2 different Walmarts yesterday looking to buy a few Super Tech oil filters for my new 2013. Noticed that neither store had any "super tech" products left.

Did Wakmart discontinue carrying these? If so can anyone suggest what oil filter and part no. I should buy for my 2013?

I,m not gonna buy one from the dealer and pay thru the nose for one thanks

From the Gen 2 Bin-O-Facts

Oil Filter Info:
O.E.M. Oil cartridge filter: Denso 115010-5980, (Yamaha equiv. P/N 5JW-13440-00)
Size: Believed to be 20mm X 1.4mm threads 2.3" O.D. Gasket, 2.5" length

Other recommended 2.5" Length Car Oil Cartridges/Filters:
Purolator Pure One PL14612 (about $6, actually a car filter)
Mobil-1 M1-108 (about $12, actually a car filter)
Bosch 3300 (about $6, actually a car filter)
Fram PH7317 (from Renegade)

Other recommended 3.25" Length Car Oil Cartridges/Filters:
Purolator Pure One PL14610
Mobil-1 M1-110
Bosch 3323
Walmart SuperTech ST7317

There was a post somewhere on the forum that indicated that Wally was no longer carrying Super Tech and switched to something else. Personally, I run the Purolator Pure One or the Bosch, depending on which one the store I am in carries.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the highly recommended Purolator Pure One PL14612 - CAD11 here.

Didn't list motorcycles in the Wal-Mart catalog, so I looked up 2000 Mazda Miata.
smile.png

I buy mine through any of the Yamaha parts houses on-line for around $8. No sales tax & free shipping if you shop around and combine orders.

YMMV

--G

Thanks, I was able to get the Fram at Walmart
Hate to sound opinionated, but: Not a good idea. Stick with the Purolators. I use their standard filter unless I find a sale on their Pure One filter. If ya ever look inside them things, you'll see that the Purolator is the one to beat. There are better filters, but not by much: dollar for dollar, it's the best filter going. I've been using them ever since I did my big research project about 5 years ago on the difference between oil filters. I found two sites that cut open a bunch of filters to compare them, as well as one site that took a very close look at EXACTLY how effective various filters were. There is a difference. Granted, you don't need to go crazy on things like filters and oil, but this is a couple bucks you want to spend.

Gary

darksider #44

QUOTED FROM BELOW:

Oil Filters come basically in three qualities. Very good, with excellent filtration; normal; and really incredibly bad. This last category, really incredibly bad, should obviously be avoided. Accordingly, never use a Fram, Pennzoil, Penske, Castrol, or Quaker State oil filter in any motor you like. All of these filters are made by Fram. The filter element itself is a normal paper element, and probably no better or worse than anyone else's paper element. However, the end caps on the filter element are made of cardboard in these filters. There are numerous stories of these cardboard end caps getting saturated with oil and coming apart, putting little cardboard fragments directly into the oil flow into your engine bearings. As they say in GhostBusters, this "would be bad." Personally, I don't consider cardboard a suitable material for my engine internals. In the interests of fairness, below I reproduce a letter from Fram to me.

https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html

The Purolator Classics are made of the same stuff as Pure One's except for the filtering media. If it bothers you, Pure One's aren't recommended by Purolator for motorcycles due to higher pressures required to push the oil through the finer media....... OK IMHO if you change it every oil change, it doesn't clog up, use without fear.... Classics are also good IMHO, nobody really needs Pure Ones but we use them. Same numbers 14610, etc. Wallymart has them for $3.27. I've got a wee stash of SuperTech's and PureOnes, one day will go with the Classics. Absolutely agree, no Frams go near my bike.

OK I guess every penny counts? I just bought ten OEM oil filters from CyclePartsWharehouse.com for 7.80 US. a piece! The price quoted was for 1 so I jumped in for the ten! For around a 1.80 difference at Walmart for aftermarket why not go OEM? Just wondering!

OK I guess every penny counts? I just bought ten OEM oil filters from CyclePartsWharehouse.com for 7.80 US. a piece! The price quoted was for 1 so I jumped in for the ten! For around a 1.80 difference at Walmart for aftermarket why not go OEM? Just wondering!
If my memory serves me right, the oil filter dissections revealed that the OEM filters they tested were only average at best for filtration material and area. They will work yes, but why spend more on OEM for an inferior filter? I run the PureOne's and a side benefit is the grippy textured finish that makes it possible to take it off by hand.

I just and put the Mobil 1 filter on my bike. I have run them in my cars for years with no issues. It helps I work at Auto Zone and I get a discount on them. So at that point it makes them almost the same price as the Mama Yami ones.

Somebody please show me PROOF of an engine failing due to an " oil filter failure."

The rules:

Not a race car or bike. I don't give a shit about those.

Engine failure due to ONLY the filter failing. Not 10 different things went wrong and the filter somehow attributed to the demise.

Hell...Even without those rules, I don't think anyone can show what I asked. THOUSANDS of people use From and other filters daily and I've never heard of ONE failing.

The dumbasses that take them apart and then warn us about their terribleness are all selling something: A different brand of filter.

Let's not be so gullible.