SuperBrace ABS Exhange - old for new

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure seems awful upright fer 'em to go back and mod the 2003 brace to ensure it works okay with a 2004 ABS model that has the front forks misadjusted. Yep. Right neighborly.
I tried to talk with them 8 months about designing the gullwing instead of machining the old one. They wouldn't return my calls or answer my emails. I had a good friend of the FJR community intercede for me and he also got the runaround. Basically, we were told the gullwing was too expensive to make.

There was a lot of guys that got burnt the last time, because of shipping/vat expenses and returns. The response from SB was, "tough". They have and had insurance to cover the last design recall problem, but chose not to use it. Now, they come along with a new design and want to stiff the FJR community for more money. Their business ethics suck and when it comes to customer service SB is a :asshat:

Technically, it was designed for the 2001-2003 models (the 2003 model of which was their test bike iirc). Lemme look... er... nope no ABS even as an option.
Technically, they are a machine shop and not a R&D testing ground for the FJR. They sell products around the globe but didn't do any research on this bike. If they had, they would have found out the 2003 had ABS. :asshat2:

You say right neighborly, I say...HorseCock!

SO I finally got an email from Superbrace. This one actually had full sentences with puctuation. It was an apology of some sort and a promise to process emails better in the future. They declined my offer to pay the difference of cost of the second generation versus the third generation SB. Well, I ASSume they declined since they made no mention of offering or supplying a third generation brace. The email just said they'll be sending the second generation brace. Period. When they get my original. Which was delivered to them yesterday. Before the email I was sent today.

You know, I really don't like these folks. They don't make it easy. They don't follow up on emails. They don't offer any information. Lots of folks seem to have difficulty dealing with them. I think next time I get a brace, it'll be from a different company.

YMMV, I HOPE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any test performed would be one more than Superbrace did. Strength? M/C Larry's brace made of 7075 T6 alum. (76,000 psi tensile strength). Superbrace, 6061 T6 alum. (42,000 psi tensile strength). Cost? M/C Larry's 89.95 + 20.00 for guards. Superbrace 178.95 + 25.00. Does it work......they both work. I've owned both. Customer service having dealt with both parties? Not even close. M/C Larry's hand's down.

Where did you find a picture of the new brace. Can't seem to locate it on their website.

I'm only viewing it from a product LIABILITY perspective:  SB sold the brace KNOWING it was going on ABS bikes (the FJR model years, including '04, were listed on the site).  There was no mention that it was "not intended for use on an ABS" bike. Provided the rumors of the brace hitting the banjo bolt are true -- and I don't know because it hasn't happened to me -- one can easily conclude SB did not do produt testing on ABS bikes or it would have designed the brace differently (as it and Motorcycle Larry have now done).  Under the circumstances, I don't see much of a hurdle for a products liability attorney if something happens. 
Not my issue, just observing the obvious...
Actually, the time line was that the product was out for some time before any reports of collision with the brake sub-assembly appeared. On a properly-adjusted (and not sacked-out) front fork, many people did (and do) report no problem. Once real-world reports came in that got everyone looking into how their suspensions were set up, SB stepped to the plate and changed the original design and even sent a letter to all current customers (ABS bikes or not - I got one too even though I have an '03). This was to address a potential problem on installations where the bike suspension was either adjusted very soft or the bike other unanticipated situations MIGHT exist.

Shit happens. In the time line of how things actually took place, SB stepped to the plate and fixed the original design (relatively promptly given when the issue became known) in a manner that worked; going back to the drawing board for a new design that took months to get finalized and into production. Only to have Yamaha redesign the front of the '06 so that it may or may not be compatible.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not an appologist for SB and slow responses or other lack of customer service are issues that need improving no matter who the company is. But the actual sequense of events seems to be getting rewritten by some and that's a disservice to SB and the FJR community who might lose potential new products if other vendors see the potential for an inaccurate-driven feeding frenzy.

Side bar: Anyone ever wonder why Honda and other mfgrs never acknowledge product recommendations - ever?

Technically, they are a machine shop and not a R&D testing ground for the FJR. They sell products around the globe but didn't do any research on this bike. If they had, they would have found out the 2003 had ABS.
2003 (US) did NOT have ABS and it wasn't an option. Being a US company, they designed around the 2003 bike that was before ABS was every even an option.

If YOU would have done some research you'd have know the difference between a US 2003 and a Yurp 2003. I only say this because of how easily you tossed down the :asshat:

2003 (US) did NOT have ABS and it wasn't an option. Being a US company, they designed around the 2003 bike that was before ABS was every even an option.
Doesn't matter if they are a US company or if ABS wasn't an option in the US. Their products are sold around the globe. It's a glogal economy.

If YOU would have done some research you'd have know the difference between a US 2003 and a Yurp 2003. I only say this because of how easily you tossed down the :asshat:
I did my research!! I spent 5 months of my time and money to build the ABS lines, so I know what will work and what will not. I also know that the EURO 03ABS is not the same as the US 04ABS.

I also happen to know a lot of the behind the scenes facts from the last group buy and returns. They don't care about the FJR community or the people who own & ride them. The bottom line is, SuperBrace is only concerned about all the money they make from the braces.

ok, i have read the thread. almost ready to pull the trigger. just one question. is there a down side to mc larrys brace with abs?

derek

Well, ladies and gents, no more SB exchanges!

I wrote Superbrace an email about exchanging my

second-generation for the third-gen SB, offered to

pay the difference, and this is the reply I got:

<<Jim,

Good Afternoon and thanks for the email. As we coming to the

end of 2005, we are no longer swapping out the versions of the

SuperBraces.

Thanks for purchase and have a good holiday,

SuperBrace>>

(spelling and/or grammar errors are not mine).

Anyone want my 2nd-gen so I can get the 3rd-gen? (No, it ain't free...

BUT, it hasn't been opened yet, and I'll sell it for 75% of what I paid

for it.) I just like the less-obtrusive "gull-wing" version.

I didn't even know about the new brace until just recently.

Jim