Superbrace???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talked about many, many times when you search on superbrace handling site:fjrforum.com at Google and similar search terms.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put on a brace. Didn't do squat for handling or tire wear.

Replaced it with GP Suspension work. Didn't do squat for tire wear, but made a world of difference for handling.

Save your money and upgrade your forks.

I put on a brace. Didn't do squat for handling or tire wear.
Replaced it with GP Suspension work. Didn't do squat for tire wear, but made a world of difference for handling.

Save your money and upgrade your forks.

Would disagree with this statement that it doesn't do squat. Coming over from an R1 the first thing I noticed about the FEEJ was the lack of feedback from the front and it tended to "waffle" in the corners. An inmate named DUFF pointed me to the superbrace. Other than the barbarian mod, this is the only thing I have done to this bike. Tightened up the front right nice. Now when hitting the twisities out here, and there are plenty of them, the feej feels more planted on the front end and no "waffling" of the forks while deep into a turn.

IMO, good mod.

NOW, this is on an 08. Seems a lot of people with older FJR's have benefitted from being re-valved and having the suspension tuned.

From what I have read on this site and the links listed above, it appears that a fork brace will inprove handling. I am very pleased with the current handling and don't want to upset that. I am more concerned with tire wear. I picked up my '09 FJR in March, quickly rung up 600 miles and had the first service performed. Over the next few weeks. I rode conservativly until I was over 1,300 miles. We then took a trip down to West Viginia. Day one: 400+ miles of slab. Days 2,3&4: 300 miles each day of hard driving in some of the best corners I have ever seen. Day 5: 400+ miles of slab. I now have 3,500 miles and the front tire is shot. I run 40psi in the front and 39psi in the rear. The front did not cup at all, the center is fine, the sides are worn past the wear bars. The tire is a Bridgestone 021 and I didn't have high hopes for it based on previous threads, but 3,500 miles is pathetic. I was hoping a superbrace would increase tire life. Based on other threads I am going to replace the 021 with a Dunlop Roadsmart. I think I ride too agressive for a PR2 especially since most of my riding is in cooler temperatures. (New Yorks warm weather riding season is short).

If the brace works for the rest of you .. sweeet! That just wasn't my experience. Sure is cheaper than revalving though.

As for tire wear .. I just pulled a 020 front off a friend's Sprint which badly cupped. I've had that same experience with 020's and Dunlop's (mostly 220's) on my VFR, and the previous owner of my FJR said he has had problems with that as well.

On both the VFR and FJR the solution was to switch to a different brand of tires. I've run the metzlers (z6), Pirelli Stradas, Michelin Classic Roads, Avon Storms, and PR2's with good results. Even after 5000 miles the PR2's are holding up very well.

Having ridden through those same areas (WV/KY/VA) recently with PR2's I was very happy with how they stuck, even when taking a cornering class. The one time they didn't was in the rain in the Ozarks in 5th gear at 40 mph passing a car on a straight road. Then again .. your aggressive may be way more aggressive than my aggressive. All I can say is that so far, I am very happy with either the Storms or PR2's for both mileage and stickage.

Steve i had the same prob. with my 021 tire i called yamaha after a few calls they bot me a new tire, i also installed a brace i weigh 300 lbs. and it helped in handling big time. i have now

installed PR2s have 3000 miles on them and no wear yet