Suspension changes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kango

Reaction score
Hi,

After doing 5000klms on the standard suspension settings I decided to make a few changes to the set up.

Followed a lot of threads on the forum and decided on the following changes.

Front preload 2rings showing.

Front rebound 6 clicks from full hard.

Front compression 8 clicks from hard.

Rear preload set to hard.

Rear rebound 6 clicks from hard.

Did a 350 klm run yesterday and found the bike was so much better in the way it handled.

even with the harder settings there was no jarring through the bars, once set up for a corner the bike stayed on line,

These settings will not suit everybody but they do the job for my weight etc,106 klgms and 6feet tall.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to do the ground work on suspension and suggested alternative settings. :yahoo: :yahoo:

Hi,After doing 5000klms on the standard suspension settings I decided to make a few changes to the set up.

Did a 350 klm run yesterday and found the bike was so much better in the way it handled.

even with the harder settings there was no jarring through the bars, once set up for a corner the bike stayed on line,

These settings will not suit everybody but they do the job for my weight etc,106 klgms and 6feet tall.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to do the ground work on suspension and suggested alternative settings. :yahoo: :yahoo:
Hello Kango,

Might sound stupid but what does your 106 klgms equal to us Yanks(US pounds)??

Thanks

Hi,After doing 5000klms on the standard suspension settings I decided to make a few changes to the set up.

Hello Kango,

Thanks
google input: 106kg = lbs

first hit.

Large meteorites A preserved very large 640kg (1406 lbs! ) Campo D el Cielo meteorite, one of the finest iron meteorite. ... Weight : 106kg ( 233 lbs ) Size : 400x400x250 mm ...

a better googler would probably use kg convert lbs... but the meteorite link was fun too. And I just bought a 47 lb rock from spaaaaaacccee!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello Kango,

Thanks
Hi, 106 klgms = 233 lbs

1klgm=2.2 lbs.

Nice info/feedback kango. Thanks

At 117kg and 6'5 in the old terms...I now have a 'range' to hone the suspension settings in on.

I have always found suspension settings to be a 'black-art', and very individual in the requirements stakes. Not everyone shares the same ability and comfort levels. But having 'conversed' with kango off-forum, i think he and I are like minded, albeit, I have much less experience than him.

Hope to catch up soon.

Steve

Hello Kango,

Thanks
Hi, 106 klgms = 233 lbs

1klgm=2.2 lbs.

106 klgms sounds a lot lighter than 233 lbs. Hmm...I might change my weight scale to 100 kilograms! And yes, I'm gonna make you look up the conversion. :smilingsmiley:

Hey, I am less: I am at 102.5 kg thats less than 106kgb :yahoo:

Just having fun before I leave on my trip.....

weekend rider

Thanks all,

Kango, I did try your suspension setup(about a week now) and I like it. Seems like it would be a little stiff for a long trip (especially two up) but I wonder how much it would change by just switching the rear switch to soft and keeping the rest the same(for my passenger)??

Thanks all,
Kango, I did try your suspension setup(about a week now) and I like it. Seems like it would be a little stiff for a long trip (especially two up) but I wonder how much it would change by just switching the rear switch to soft and keeping the rest the same(for my passenger)??
Hi,

Tried the setup with the rear set to soft,it does not seem to make a lot of differance,the bike still handles better IMOP.

This setup was worked out by other members of the forum,I just put it into practice and gave my own veiws on it.

Glad it suits you and your style of riding.