Suspension recommendations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogerc

Reaction score
My rear shock on my 05 is bottoming out now after 22,000 miles.

I have done a lot of reading on this forum but still have some questions.

To make it simple, what would you choose a Pense or what?

I am going to have a suspension shop do the install and set up so that I get it right.

Is it best to do the front forks with a heavier spring so that the total suspension is setup together for better overall performance?

I am 6'3" and 230 lbs, 90% one up riding the rest with my wife who weighs in at a scant 115. I am a medium to medium+ rider and have been riding over 40 years and know my way through the twisties.

Thanks

Roger

Penske seems to be getting a lot of press here recently, and of course the Wilbers/HyperPro due to the 2 GB's. I am in a similar boat as you at 19k miles and need to replace mine. I was leaning towards the Ohlins as they are decently priced at sportbikeeffects.com with the forum discount. Either that, or the HyperPro 41 but I am almost certain to go with the Ohlins.

Will also do the front springs/oil at the same time....some people have said they only did the rear and were happy with the front the way it was but most seem to get the front work done as well. I am afraid I am no expert on the spring weights but I plan on seeking the advice of the suspension shop on that. I am 180 with little/no gear and 99% solo riding.

Sorry I cant addd more on the technicalities of the springs...like you, I am doing a lot of research and I am not sure there is a AFM shock that you can really go wrong with in the end. All appear better than stock, and everyone of them has had pros and cons listed by members.

It will be interesting to see the feedback in this thread as well......

Last edited by a moderator:
I would recomend either a Penske or Ohlin, I have a Penske and it is great. I would stay away rom a Wilburs to many problems as of now. Maybe when they get thier problem worked out maybe????

Spring rate is defined by the type of riding and your weight. If your weight is 225 svg. riding not to agressive I would start at 750 lbs for the rear, and match the front Check with a suspension shop. This is just an example. Mine is rated much higher for agressive riding.

Best investment for your bike

I have over 20k on my wilbers with no issues. Once Klaus fitted the right spring that is. The shock came with too light a spring initially but was replaced with a heavier one. :yahoo: . I have heard others blowing seals but so far I have not had an issue. The shock has been used solo as well as 2 up and it is a 200% improvement over stock. Ohlins and Penske are good shocks too. I believe it comes down to price and local support. For me there are no local suspension gurus so I have to experiment on my own.

Go to AfterShocks in Palo Alto. Phil is a great suspension tuner. He can turn your FJR into one good handling machine. He is very in tune with cost and performance for that cost. He set up my FJR after I installed my Wilbers group buy product into where it should have been with the new Wilbers equipment. He also set up my Dl650 Wee Strom and my KLX 300 dirt bike. He can either install your equipment or supply his recommendation. So why sopend money and guess when a pro can install and get it right the first time. Actually saves time and money. Wish I would have gone there before I bought Wilber in a group buy.

Ohlins 46PRCS is what I have and it works great. I would go to Aftershocks for the install if I had it to do again. The most important thing is to match the front shocks with the back one. Dont do just one, they need to be matched! Got to weigh yourself and your gear to determine your actual riding weight. Then choose the correct spring strength.

I am going to have a suspension shop do the install and set up so that I get it right.

Is it best to do the front forks with a heavier spring so that the total suspension is setup together for better overall performance?

I am 6'3" and 230 lbs, 90% one up riding the rest with my wife who weighs in at a scant 115. I am a medium to medium+ rider and have been riding over 40 years and know my way through the twisties.

Thanks

Roger

I highly recommend Curtis from California Suspension Works. He is an avid rider and also owns an FJR. He will fit you and the bike as one.

https://californiasuspensionworks.com/index.asp

I have 25k on my Wilburs set up (front and rear) with no issues whatsoever.

Do both front and back at the same time - the front is minimal cost compared to the back and the total ride quality difference has to be ridden to be believed.

As for these guys paying $1200 for a rear Penske?? Wow.....just wow...

Thanks

Roger
The only difference I could see between Olin's & Penske is the Penske had height adjustment & the Olin's didn't....so I went with the Penske from GP Suspension.....GP also custom built the internals for the front forks @ the same time......but I don't think you could go wrong with either....GP did a bunch for the group buy last year.... :good: .....

I would highly recommend Penske products, at least here in the Midwest where there's many Penske certified techs.

I think the west coast has a few more Ohlins certified techs than we have here in the Midwest.

Shop around for a good tech. Sounds like there's a good reference listed above for a suspension guy that's also a feejer owner, and definitely have him/her match the shock to some new fork springs and an oil change. I'm guessing here, but I think you'll go to a new fork spring rate of around .95 or 1.0, with fresh oil in 'em, it'll be like a different machine. Also ask him to go through and de-burr the valving and check seals, etc...

Since I have had my sispension done I have been doing some 100 to 200 miles rides and I have not even tested the suspension in the turns yet to its full abilit.y. I have gone into a couple of sorners a little to hot and when I needed it to perform it responded and railed around the turn. This is one reason why you upgrade your suspension it is there when you need it. No matter who you go with or what brand you will be a happy camper that you did upgrade. Riding becomes more enjoyable and less tiring

I've got a Penske 8983 on the way from Traxxion Dynamics. Talk to Lee 770 592-3823 he will hook you up, and he owns an FJR.

Nik

P.S. They are having a 10% off Labor Day Sale

Nikk: you will be a happy camper when you get it installed.

Is Traxxion going to provide you with the bracket to mount your Nitrgen cannister ? If not you may want to call GPsuspensions and ask them to make you one.

I have one on my bike and I like where it mounts and it looks great, they make it them selves. when they do new installs for a Penske . I mounts on the side by the brake resovoir. :)

I've got a Penske 8983 on the way from Traxxion Dynamics. Talk to Lee 770 592-3823 he will hook you up, and he owns an FJR.
Nik

P.S. They are having a 10% off Labor Day Sale

I too have the 8983 coming from Traxxion, they also have my forks. Also with the 10% off.

And yep, call Lee, he will hook you up.

Weekend rider -

I purchased a bracket from traxxion it mounts on the left passenger peg bolts; behind the peg bracket. Sorry I don't have a pic handy. Nice clean look once installed.

I put 200 miles on the Penske this weekend and need to dial in the knobs. My passenger felt the highway bumps were a bit stiff.

There is no doubt however that the Penske is a huge improvement over the stock rear spring.

-Nikk