Suspension Setup

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Wilbers shock (95 spring) is in the middle of the preload range and the rider sag is ~35 mm without bags. I weigh ~180 ready to ride.

Bags add 27 lbs (!) and I cannot measure any sag difference with them on.

As best I can tell,adding clothes and other stuff to the bags and a dry bags strapped on,I can get back to ~40 mm sag with 2 1/2 turns (5 clicks) more preload.

I like it!

I have a Wilbers "100" spring and I would like to change it to a "110" for riding two up all the time. Obviously, the supplied spring was intended for just me as a solo rider. A recent trip with bags and trunk allowed bottoming even when the preload was at 16 out of the 22 clicks. Granted , there was some terrible heat caused pavement buckling.

Can anyone tell me if I can replace the spring without special devices? I'd like to purchase a heavier spring from a spring manufacturer and do the changeover myself. ANy recommendations?

dobias

dobias, call Klaus to get your questioned answered. Mine is on the bike so I can't see what it takes to chane it. TJ

I don't remember if this has been pointed out, but:

the service manual shows the stock shock has a 104 kg/cm spring.

That puts our Wilbers springs into perspective as far as I'm concerned. My 100 kg/cm Wilbers spring is the same soft spring I had on my bike. And that was before I added a spacer. :(

dobias