Suspension Upgrade: Need Help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SierraFJR

Reaction score
So I've done as much as I can with the stock suspension on my new to me 07A with 2500miles. Given my riding style (more sporty, less touring) and my size 6' 240# I'm really not happy with stock. Can't get sag correct, not rebound happy. End result is turning peg feelers into molten metal, which I know ill bite me someday. Now before we go all "ooohhh...your riding over your head...you're doing it wrong....gotta hang off.....too fast....take it to the track....." I'm not. My pace is moderate, with occasional bursts of quickly, when appropriate. I've had the same issues with past and current bikes, but usually can find a suspension setting that gets me to a reasonable comfort level for my riding style and keeps the hard parts off the ground. I just can't seem to find that on the FJR.......that said.....

I plan on doing both front and rear upgrade and I'm trying to figure out which way to go: Wilbers (Hyperpro GB), Penske, Ohlins, etc. Cost is a reasonable concern, but not the only one. There does not seem to be a predominance of shops in the Sacramento Area to work with. My preference was to find a local shop to help me with set up , installation and maintenance, but the folks that I have contacted are mostly retailers, not suspension shops. Sooooo.....If you have a solid recommendation for a Northern California shop, I am all ears and appreaciation. In the absence of that, I'm leaning towards buying through the Hyperpro GB and doing my own install. That creates a time-sensitive issue as it appears that the GB will end in a few days.

Thanks for the help !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
So I've done as much as I can with the stock suspension on my new to me 07A with 2500miles. Given my riding style (more sporty, less touring) and my size 6' 240# I'm really not happy with stock. Can't get sag correct, not rebound happy. End result is turning peg feelers into molten metal, which I know ill bite me someday. Now before we go all "ooohhh...your riding over your head...you're doing it wrong....gotta hang off.....too fast....take it to the track....." I'm not. My pace is moderate, with occasional bursts of quickly, when appropriate. I've had the same issues with past and current bikes, but usually can find a suspension setting that gets me to a reasonable comfort level for my riding style and keeps the hard parts off the ground. I just can't seem to find that on the FJR.......that said.....
I plan on doing both front and rear upgrade and I'm trying to figure out which way to go: Wilbers (Hyperpro GB), Penske, Ohlins, etc. Cost is a reasonable concern, but not the only one. There does not seem to be a predominance of shops in the Sacramento Area to work with. My preference was to find a local shop to help me with set up , installation and maintenance, but the folks that I have contacted are mostly retailers, not suspension shops. Sooooo.....If you have a solid recommendation for a Northern California shop, I am all ears and appreaciation. In the absence of that, I'm leaning towards buying through the Hyperpro GB and doing my own install. That creates a time-sensitive issue as it appears that the GB will end in a few days.

Thanks for the help !!!
Can't help with the local shops, but can tell you that the standard Penske rear shock gives you another 1.5" of height/clearance and at 6' that should not induce any flatfooting issues.

And of course, it is possible to make any pretty much any bike grind hard parts or not depending on your riding style. So although you've alluded to this in your post I would suggest taking some pics of your cornering techniques to see if there is room to improve your body position which will help to keep the bike more upright - just saying.

Thanks for the info on the Penske James. And yep ! There is always room for improvement on riding style and skill. I try to work on it during most every ride. I've had to adjust style and agressiveness from the CBR1000 to the Busa to the FJR. I'm just struggling with the FJR and hoping not to lever the thing off the ground one of these days.....

Thanks for the info on the Penske James. And yep ! There is always room for improvement on riding style and skill. I try to work on it during most every ride. I've had to adjust style and agressiveness from the CBR1000 to the Busa to the FJR. I'm just struggling with the FJR and hoping not to lever the thing off the ground one of these days.....
The FJR does have limited ground clearance compared to a sport bike and good technique can compensate for this to a degree. However for a good bigger rider this is a problem. I seldom touched pegs and never touched hard parts on my Bandit 1200S, SV650, Concours 1000, or V-Strom. On the FJR I touched pegs frequently and was grinding hard parts often enough for it to be unsafe. I took the Lee Parks Total control Course and this helped some. I never felt the need to change my technique or take a class until I rode the FJR in the mountains.

I contacted Traxxion Dynamics and talked with Lee Spittler(sp?) and he set me up with a Penske Shock and correct fork springs and fork oil for my weight and style. I installed these myself without any problem. After the suspension upgrade I touch pegs to the roads rarely and haven't scraped hard parts at all. I highly recommend Traxxion, they are east coast but they will ship.

PS: At rallies less than 20% maybe less than 10% have wear on the peg feelers. So this is definitely only a problem for a minority of FJR riders.

I'm 185 pounds, and ride at a reasonably agressive pace. After installing new Eibach fork springs last winter, I noticed better turn-in and behavior up front. The problem is that the stock rear is impossible to match - no matter how much you tweak the settings - with aftermarket front, and vice versa. Handling is compromised.

The moral of the story: upgrade front and rear concurrently.

If you have a solid recommendation for a Northern California shop, I am all ears and appreaciation.

The motorcycle mags have been using Lindermann Engineering for years to upgrade the suspensions of their long term test bikes.

https://www.le-suspension.com/
I've used LE a few times myself, and love the quality of work. Jim definalty knows his chit to be sure. They tend to do a lot of race bikes. The only fault I find with them so far is they do miss badly on there time estimates. At least they did for me on several occasions. Last time was the XS forks, they said a week, it took them 5 weeks. On the bright side, they came in $100 under the original quote.

If I was to do the FJR, I'd have to go with GP Suspension since they have done so many of the forum bikes they HAVE to know what there doin B)

Give this guy a call:

Dave HodgesGP Suspension

503-723-7793
I had a rather pleasant conversation with him today. He said he'd honor the previous group buy pricing. I'm going to order a Penske rear shock soon (still scraping pennies) and have my forks done as well.

Wow an easy question to answer. Go with GP suspension had mine done all the difference in the world. went with penske set up.

And now this should sell you on GPsuspension, You can call and make an appointment and enjoy the ride up to Oregon and watch them do the work and ask a few questions about how it all works. When you leave you will be one happy customer trying it out on your way home :drinks:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the great info. I love the forum. Sounds like GP is the ticket. I'll give them a call tomorrow to figure out the best plan of attack !

Thanks Again !!!

I rode up to Portland last year and had GPSuspensions go through my '05. I'm HAPPY.

My cheapie fix for the peg-scraping prior to that was a set of WHA suspension links - picked the rear of the bike up about an inch. Shoved the fork tubes down as far as I felt I safely could and Voila - wasn't knocking off pegs any more. I have the links sitting in my garage and you're all of a half hour away if you want 'em. They're Gen I, though, so not sure they'll bolt up.

With only 2500 miles on your shock, I think you will be pleasantly surprised with a the spring combi kit upgrade. If you can afford it, go for an entirely new shock.

Last edited:
Before spending a dime with anybody else, you owe it to yourself to talk to Lee at Traxxion Dynamics (www.traxxion.com). He's an FJR owner and expert. I had my forks upgraded by GP and was never quite happy with the setting. I called Lee last week, ordered new springs for the forks and set to his recommendation as a baseline and the difference is huge. I wished I would have gone to Lee first and bought their complete front cartridge kit. I have a Penske shock and love it.

6'3" 300lbs here...Penske in the rear, sonic 1.1kg springs and proper fork oil on my 05. I rarely scrape pegs, but can if I want to...but by that time Im usually in balls before brains mode and back off a tad. Sport bikers hate me.