Suzuki DL series

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cutter

Reaction score
I've been following the FJR for a couple of years now as a potential replacement for my 00 VFR. But another bike which I have followed closely is the Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom. Owners of this particular model seem to be very pleased with their machines. With the intro of ABS for 2007, I must admit I'm beyond curiosity. I plan on picking one up in the next six months and going on some great trips next season.

Here's my question. How much overlap in capabilities do you think these two machines have? I am allowed to have three motorcycles at a time and don't want to let the possibility of the FJR in my garage go. Can I justify both? I have OCD when it comes to classification of my bikes. I simply must be able to stand by them, point, and say, "that's my _____ bike". If when describing the DL I say it's my sport-adventure-touring-camping-daily commuter bike, can I still justify $13k for the FJR? Would I even ride it...?

Rhino.jpg

I have been looking at the DL1000 myself. I think the answer depends. If most of your riding is at sealevel and one up the DL may cover all the bases. If you sometimes ride in the mountains and want to be able to pass two up or cover 600 miles before lunch you may still want a FJR. I was impressed with how comfortable the DL650 is but I am really spoiled with the horsepower of the FJR.

Sport tourer and Adventure tourer are definately far apart if you take either to the extreme.

I have been looking at the DL1000 myself. I think the answer depends. If most of your riding is at sealevel and one up the DL may cover all the bases. If you sometimes ride in the mountains and want to be able to pass two up or cover 600 miles before lunch you may still want a FJR. I was impressed with how comfortable the DL650 is but I am really spoiled with the horsepower of the FJR.
Sport tourer and Adventure tourer are definately far apart if you take either to the extreme.
They are really nice bikes. Nothing like as protected a ride as the FJR. The FJR is also a heck of a lot more effortless to ride with the power and torque on tap.

I had a DL 650 for a while. Just a sweet bike. Only problem is the extreme buffeting you get at speed. Tried different shields and nothing helped. Only bike worse that I have owned was a Triumph Tiger.

I am looking at getting a bike similar to it but with a ton of hp. had an 05 Speed Triple and it was a phenominal bike. The new tiger is a real sit up bike that is light, powerful and with plenty of suspension travel. I posted this in another thread but the new tiger with the 1050 engine looks like a real ass kicker. Hate to repeat but here is the clicky.

clicky 1050 tigger

I've been eyeballin' the Vee and the Wee. I can get the 1000 for about 9k, OTD. Problem for me is that I don't want it til next year. Too, the 1000 looks to be redone as the '07 650 has just come out with no mention of the 1000. It seems that most prefer the 650 over the 1000 in the dirt... which is where I'll be takin' it. So, for me, it'll be FJR for the twisties and macadam, the Strom for the Alaska trip and beyond.

I've ridden with a couple of Strom owners and for that kinda bike I'm always amazed at how well they keep up.

I've been eyeballin' the Vee and the Wee. I can get the 1000 for about 9k, OTD. Problem for me is that I don't want it til next year. Too, the 1000 looks to be redone as the '07 650 has just come out with no mention of the 1000. It seems that most prefer the 650 over the 1000 in the dirt... which is where I'll be takin' it. So, for me, it'll be FJR for the twisties and macadam, the Strom for the Alaska trip and beyond.
I've ridden with a couple of Strom owners and for that kinda bike I'm always amazed at how well they keep up.
You are right about that. My weestrom was a great machine in the twisties. Light and flickable. Little lacking in punch out of the corner but the motor is a revver. Started life in that track superstar the SV650. The new Tiger is basically a similar bike but with close to 125 hp on tap. Not out yet. But 30 hp more than a DL1000. Worth a wait. This beast will kill a multistrada!! That is another alternative for a trip up north but is expensive.

Cutter,

In April, this year, I purchased an '06 DL650. Then in June, while browsing around at the Yamaha shop here in Anchorage, I saw an '06 AE. I could not resist. Now I own both. I told my wife that I would sell the DL650. I can't do it! I would be hard pressed to let go of either one.

[/img]

The FJR is so smooth, a great road bike, with unmatched handling for a tourer. But it is not as comfortable, as least for me, because the DL is more sit-up straight bike, which my older body likes. I had some Doug Hines risers on the FJR and that helped a great deal; but I sent them back due to the recall. The DL is not really an off-road bike, but it is better than the FJR for any off-road excursions I might make here in Alaska. If you really need an off-road bike I would suggest the Kamasaki KLR650. I just came back from a camping trip with the DL and it was very comfortable but not anywhere as smooth as the FJR.

[/img]

Don't let the "650" size scare you; it will move quickly. It was hard for me too keep it under 70 mph on a good stretch of road (and I weight around 240 lbs). I have no complaints about its ride or speed. They are two completely different bikes, and comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges. I am glad that I have both. But if my wife pressed me (and I hope she doesn't), I probably would keep the DL. It might just depend on which bike I rode last.

Good luck!

I wouldn't take a DL anywhere I wouldn't take a car. You might be surprised where I've taken cars though, a lot more off pavement capable than an FJR for sure.

I had a DL1000 that I gave to my younger brother(after I lowered it for him). He likes it a lot but has set his sights on my '05 FJR (I might have to buy an '07 to accomodate his request). It really is a great bike and the 650 is probably a better bike for him. The wind protection is not as good as on the FJR but the upright riding position is a bit better than the FJR. It's a lot quicker than it looks, but is not really suited for hardcore offroading, particularily with the stock Trailwings. The 650 model looks like a better balanced machine that will suit most riders just fine, especialy with the ABS option.

BTW there are a couple of excellent VStrom forums to get some great info from. :D

https://www.stromtrooper.com/

And a subgroup for the DL650

https://www.stromtrooper.com/forum/viewforu...15507ce5fe770d6

Don't let the "650" size scare you; it will move quickly. It was hard for me too keep it under 70 mph on a good stretch of road (and I weight around 240 lbs). I have no complaints about its ride or speed. They are two completely different bikes, and comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges. I am glad that I have both. But if my wife pressed me (and I hope she doesn't), I probably would keep the DL. It might just depend on which bike I rode last.
Good luck!
Thanks for the replies. I'm 6 ft, 230 lbs and glad to hear from someone who owns both. I had considered the KLR 650 for some time but I consider it a 50% road, 50% dirt machine that is underpowered for its size. The way I'm seeing the DL is more 90/10, put some Motech crash bars on it, and proceed to use the crap out of it. Load it down with camping gear, don't worry if you scratch it, and if you drop it....no biggie.

Load it down with camping gear, don't worry if you scratch it, and if you drop it....no biggie.

Cutter,

Right on! Here is a couple pictures of my DL loaded with all my camping gear:

th_CampingAug2006031.jpg

th_CampingAug2006015.jpg

Good Ridin'

VicaDon said:
Load it down with camping gear, don't worry if you scratch it, and if you drop it....no biggie.

Cutter,

Here is a shot of both together:

P1010216.jpg

VicaDon