Suzuki's New Sport Tourer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd definitely give the bandit a go. Reviews have been very good with the 1250, haven't followed the GT differences tho.

In Japan the FJR to me is just too big. Was great in Europe where you would cruise over 100 for extended periods of time, but that isn't really the case here.

Also in the running would be the new Triumph Tiger, that's kinda cool. BMWs too expensive, MultiStrada is a contender.

but, I own the FJR, great bike, not getting rid of it anytime soon.

I think the ST category has matured to the point where there are actually seperate subcategories. This reincarnated Bandit looks like it will compete quite nicely with other Sport Touring bikes in its sub-class.

Honda Interceptor, Triumph Sprint, Ducati STx, etc., etc. are all unquestionably Sport Touring bikes and all have chain drives. So shaft drive is not a requirement. These kind of bikes are sportier bikes, with better ergos than a full-on sport bike, and a good amount of one-up touring capability. But they are not as heavy, nor expensive as the next group.

I would classify the new Conk14, the ST1300 and the FJR1300 as SuperSport Touring bikes. They are clearly a different breed. Considerably heavier, much bigger power, shaft drive, etc. Biased closer to the full on touring bikes, providing more comfort and range than the sportier bikes above and providing better two up capability.

Slightly different tools, I would say.

I have an 02 Bandit, It's plenty fast, will wheelie in all 5 gears.I could put bags and stuff on it, but decided not to, bought an 95 FJR, but sold it, it's just really too big for me.

The Bandit I have is also lowered, as was the FJR, but about 150 or so lbs lighter.

I'm selling it because I really want a sport tourer that comes with bags and stuff... maybe I'll have to give the new Bandit a 2nd look....<BG>

wonder if all those goodies will fit an old Bandit...<G>

Maryy
Do you mean "95 FJ1200? To my knowledge the first year of the FJR1300 was 2001 and 2003 before it came to North America.

OOPS!

There go my typing skills again..

I meant a 2005 FJR! <BG>

Mary

Click the link and scroll to the bottom of the page (not stopping to gaze at the beauties we can't buy here "South of the Border"). The Bandit ST isn't as bad looking as I thought it might be... Toronto Motorcycle Show

Click the link and scroll to the bottom of the page (not stopping to gaze at the beauties we can't buy here "South of the Border"). The Bandit ST isn't as bad looking as I thought it might be... Toronto Motorcycle Show
I was at that show last Sunday, bike shopping for my buddy and his wife (they are getting into biking and haven't got a clue where to start). Sat on tons of bikes. The Suzuki B-King seems absolutely giant, the width is overwhelming. Victory has a touring bike out now that looks like it's off the next Batman movie set. It's friggin huge too. And fugly. And the Honda CBR 125 is cool. You could strap it on to the back of your FJR and use it as a spare in case of a flat. The Bandit touring model looked great and I think it will do very well, good on Suzuki. The Yamaha MT-01 is far out as well. I haven't seen one of those on the road yet. Wonder if they'll catch on.

I could not comply. I had to gaze at the Honda Varedo. Why on earth wouldn't Honda want to bring that to the US? It's not a "beauty" in the standard sense of the word, but I'm betting it would sell pretty well here.

I could not comply. I had to gaze at the Honda Varedo. Why on earth wouldn't Honda want to bring that to the US? It's not a "beauty" in the standard sense of the word, but I'm betting it would sell pretty well here.
Because Honda is slowly weaning itself off motorcycles.

They are awesome bikes. I helped a friend purchase his Bandit 12 a few years ago, at this time of year, for $7K. He ordered that fairing lower from somewhere in England for less than $200. Before that he threw monster Givis on it for less than $1K. We then custom fab'ed an exhaust mid-pipe to fit the titanium Art exhaust can we found for him in a local clearing house; less than $50. Helped him do the first couple of valve adjustments on it, and voila. I'm impressed with these bikes. I like more barn door coverage for early spring/ late fall riding, myself. Friend put one of those laminar lips on the screen and that seems to help quite a bit.

They'll clean up in the market void for the affordable ST, like the Connies have.

I bought an 07 Bandit while I was waiting for the 07 FJR surge fix. No regrets. The Bandit really likes to boogie. It's smoother than the FJR at 80 mph. I enjoy revisiting the chain issues. It's hard to beat the power delivery of a chain.