SW-Motech Extension left/right specific?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="chazglenn3" data-cid="1212033" data-time="1424628847"><p>

Thanks but I prefer the look of the OEM mirrors.</p></blockquote>

Ah, a form over function guy.

Personally, I don't care for being overtaken by a vehicle

I couldn't see coming.

+1 for SLK50. Liking the looks of the OEM mirrors is easily trumped by the advantages of the FZ1's. Not only do you get a clear unobstructed rear view, the FZ1's are as wide as the side bags. If the mirrors clear the bags are good as well. Also, if you happen to drop that lovely 08 the FZ1 mirrors will fold eliminating the damage to the sub-frame. But then again, it's your bike. What ever lifts your kilt!!

Glad you found the issue 'chaz...easy fix with a replacement mirror!

I've gone back and forth between FZ1 mirrors and stock GEN II. Currently have gone back to stock with WynPro mounts and LR4 lights -- it's a nice [looking] set-up.

--G

I was looking at the parts fiche and also at an ad on eBay and noticed a rubber piece that appears to be only for the right side mirror. Is that correct? I don't believe that piece is there on my bike either.

Follow up: Got the mirror fixed up. The mount was bent. Straightened it out and repaired the broken stud. All good now. Considering the lack of any evidence of other damage I have to assume the mirror must have been hit by something.

Not so surprising, after having looked at the way the second and third gen mirrors are constructed. The pivot point in the mirror arm has a curved slot in the bottom half and a corresponding tab that sticks down from the upper half, that work together to limit the range of movement of that pivot joint. Oddly, they will pivot pretty far forward, but the range to the rear is very limited, ostensibly to prevent the mirror from being folded back into the body work?
unsure.png

In any case, what that means is that if you happen to smack into something with a mirror while moving forward, even very slowly, structural damage is immenet. Before I got fed up with looking at my elbows and upgraded the 3rd Gen mirrors to FZ1's (which did not take long) I went ahead and disassembled, then ground the tabs off the top halves of the mirrors, and reassembled them. This allowed the mirror head to move much further back, but still retained the spring loaded detents to hoold them out in the deployed position.

YMMV (Your Mirrros May Vary)

Last edited by a moderator: