Swann Freestyle Action Camera

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intech

Mr. Camping Meet
Reaction score
I am looking at a Swann Freestyle 1080p video/8 mega pixel still camera for $139.99. Anyone have any experience with these. It includes all the mounts and accessories.

Here is the site if anyone else is interested. Sale is just today.

Woot

Last edited by a moderator:
Try to find the specs on the lens. It appears to not be wide angle and the glass looks MUCH smaller than the GoPro, but also a lot cheaper.

https://www.woot.com/Forums/viewpost.aspx?PostID=4978093&PageIndex=1&ReplyCount=82#post4978145

Review:

https://maiamedia.co.uk/2012/04/action-camera-review-swann-freestyle-hd/
I found that review. Looks like it is very similar to the Gopro hero2 and it has 130 and 170 degree lens options. I am thinking I will take a shot at this for the excellent price.

I read through a few of the reviews and came away not overly impressed. I currently have a ContourHD and I want to add another camera to my collection but I will wait for GoPro to release the WiFi back & remote for the GoPro2. Not having a remote to me is a shortcoming with the Contour and the ability to use my iPhone as a monitor to align the camera would be a nice feature. The WiFi pack was supposed to be released in April but GoPro has now pushed it back until the summer.

I took the dive. The price is what sold me. It is $70 off list and $100 cheaper than the GoPro. We shall see.

I saw the Contour camera locally, went to the site and looked at sample videos, and on ALL of them, just as it gets to the part where they're going to be riding on rough surfaces, the scene cuts. Wonder why?

You don't suppose it's because this is one of those pieces of shit that loses the image stability when the going gets rough? I can understand the picture shaking, but I can't tolerate the picture warping when the camera vibrates.

OTOH, the distortion I'm talking about probably is a result of image "stabilization." As the camera vibrates, it moves a lens element (or electronically move the image on the sensor,) but when that happens during the scan, parts of the image change size and location as the image adjusts.

If the stabilization can't sync with the scan frequency, I'd rather do without. A bumpy picture is preferable to a picture that swims around like a funhouse mirror.

So, reports? GoPro, Contour, Swann users? How does your stuff hold up when the going gets rough?

The comparison video to the Gopro was on a mountain bike and the image looked pretty good to me. I wold think that my application on the FJR would not be as rough as that.

So, reports? GoPro, Contour, Swann users? How does your stuff hold up when the going gets rough?
I use my ContourHD quite a bit when I am on the dirt bike and ride some fairly rough single track and have not experienced the frame dropout that you spoke of.

Having said that I always wear the camera on my helmet to dampen out as much vibration as possible.

I got the Swann and gave it a test run last weekend on some local roads. I am quite pleased with the video. I have yet to try it for some still shots while riding. It will get a good work out the 17th - 20th on the Breaks campout weekend. I will post the videos.

OK I haven't gotten around to post any video from the breaks trip, but I have reviewed it. Except for picking up a coule bugs on the lens the video was esxcellent. Woot has them on sale again if anyone is interested. The only thing I wish they had was a replaceable battery. It only lasts about 2 hours. The camera will take a 32 GB micro SD, but the battery will not last long enough to come close to filling that up. Here is the link Woot

Do any of the cameras out there today allow you to hardwire them to the bike. I still have one of the old cameras from "helmetcamera.com" and one of the features I liked was the ability to hardwire it in. Having to use an external recording device kind of sucks, but it was dang good when I bought it.

Spend the extra $100 and get a GoPro. It currently has the best quality video/sound for this class of camera and you'll appreciate that long after you've forgotten about the $100. There's a reason even the GoPro ads always show scenes from deserts and high atop ski slopes...perfect light. Anything less and things start to fall apart quickly. Get the best you can afford.