Switch to LED

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spalkin

Reaction score
I was thinking of swapping out my stock tails and front turn/markers with LED. Any recommendations for bulbs?

Get ones that replace the 1157's or whatever bulbs you currently are running. The issue though, is will the FJR's flash rate remain the same.

I'm sure it has been discussed before, but on a lot of bikes, the flash rate changes because the LED draw is less than the incandescent draw, thus the bike thinks you have a burned out bulb.

And many have thought that the intensity of the replacement LEDs still isn't as good as the stock bulb.

IMHO there are two problems with current LED tail light replacement bulbs. Thay don't direct any light to the side so the view of your tail light is only straight behind. The tail light portion is very bright while the brake light portion is weak. In bright sun it is hard to tell if the brake light is on. That could be a real problem in traffic.

Phil

I sell LED's and I can tell you that most of what is available is not as bright as incandescent bulbs. What is your reasoning to change to LED's? BTW, you will have to get a different flasher relay (like the $50.00 unit I sell) or put resistors on your lights for your flashers to work properly.

Just a thought. I thought they would perform better than incandescent. The reasoning is that from behind at night the FJR is hard to see. I was sitting at light late a few nights ago on a straight, 55mph road and I heard someone squealing violently to a stop. I checked my mirror and he was in my lane, switching to the other lane to avoid hitting me. The car skidded to a stop at an angle and right at the line. I wouldv'e been creamed. It was a kid and his girlfriend in an old Barreta and they looked drunk. They definately drove like they were drunk. I think the best bet for more visability is the 6" light bar over my plate with the "Back Off" Module. I saw something about some wide reflective tape that comes in colors, including black, that lights up bright white when lights hit it. Great for the saddle bags, but I don't run with the bags all the time. From what you guys are saying, the incandescents are fine, you just need a little extra help back there.