switching music

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rangers4094

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out a device where I can hook up all of my music devices and be able to toggle between songs depending on what I want to hear.

What I mean is that I want to be able to have my xm radio on, and if a song comes on that I dont want to listen to, I want to be able to mute the radio and switch over and listen to my ipod. and if Its possible I would like to be able to keep my gps attached so that It can alert me when I need to make turns and such.

Im not sure if such a device exits.

I am trying to figure out a device where I can hook up all of my music devices and be able to toggle between songs depending on what I want to hear.

What I mean is that I want to be able to have my xm radio on, and if a song comes on that I dont want to listen to, I want to be able to mute the radio and switch over and listen to my ipod. and if Its possible I would like to be able to keep my gps attached so that It can alert me when I need to make turns and such.

You want a audio switch. Here's a audio AV switch (includes video). https://electronicsusa.com/sbv31g.html I'm sure you can find one of these, or build one. Its pretty basic tech.

I use a MixIt 2 for feeding in my one-way audio. GPS primary, V1, Sat radio, and MP3 player in. Ear monitors out. Works great. I don't worry about switch sources between fuel stops because the source is large enough not to repeat often (Sat radio is self explanatory, MP3 has more than 30 Gb of songs randomized). If I don't want to hear something, then clearly I'm on the wrong station or have the wrong play list loaded for the mood I'm in. I don't have it turned up so much that I can't hear traffic/surroundings so it's easy enough to ignore for a single song.

You want a audio switch. Here's a audio AV switch (includes video). https://electronicsusa.com/sbv31g.html I'm sure you can find one of these, or build one. Its pretty basic tech.
This would make it easier, because it doesn't include the video ports and it uses the 3.5mm (1/8") mini phone plug commonly used for audio output from iPods, MP3 players, satellite radios, etc.

https://electronicsusa.com/mk1and2.html

If you want the GPS and/or radar detector to override the music, you'll also need something like a MixIt:

https://www.mixitproducts.com/

The MixIt will also allow you to use more than one music source, but since it is primarily designed to prioritize audio signals, you'll need to turn off the Ipod and turn up the satellite radio when a song comes on that you like. For what you want to do, it would probably be simpler to buy the audio switch and just use it to select which music source you want to send to the MixIt and then to your helmet speakers, earmolds or intercom.

Pete Bansen

Truckee, California

ok. so can I plug my ipod and satellite radio into the audio switch (so then I can switch between what I wanna listen to), and then plug the audio switch into a mix-it2 (so that I can have the audio switch muted when my GPS needs to tell me to turn), and then possibly a radar detector into the mix it as well?

Not sure if you already know this, but you can do all of that with a Zumo GPS. It will switch between MP3 player and XM radio and the GPS will always be active. It isn't cheap, though.

The newer Garmin such as a Zumo 665 will allow you to bluetooth the iPhone, has built in XM Radio and built in MP3 player all in one. I feed mine through a Starcomm unit and also have bike to bike communication.

The newer Garmin such as a Zumo 665 will allow you to bluetooth the iPhone, has built in XM Radio and built in MP3 player all in one. I feed mine through a Starcomm unit and also have bike to bike communication.
Does your bike to bike coms run through the Zumo or the other way round? Reason being is that I want to get coms up but I don't want to have to rely on wireless earphones. I'd prefer to route it through the Zumo and keep everything controlled in one place.

Zumo GPS won't accomplish bike to bike.

You either need to use the Blue tooth helmet headset or an intercom system (like starcom) with a FRS/GMRS radio to do that.

Does your bike to bike coms run through the Zumo or the other way round? Reason being is that I want to get coms up but I don't want to have to rely on wireless earphones. I'd prefer to route it through the Zumo and keep everything controlled in one place.
I have hardwired custom molded earbuds (Big Ear) and mic running to the Starcomm and a hardwired FRS/GMRS radio also going to the Starcomm with a talk button on the bars for bike to bike. The Zumo is hardwired to the Starcomm for both mic and stereo sound and my iPhone is bluetoothed to the Zumo. This setup allows phone calls to mute the music as controlled by the Zumo and the bike to bike overrides the Zumo as controlled by the Starcomm.

The Zumo obviously overrides music for the gps voice prompts.

It is possible to bluetooth the Zumo to the Starcomm with added equipment but the Bluetooth 2.0 is not all that reliable IMHO and I will stay with the hardwired arrangement for now.

I'll echo some of what's already been said and maybe add a little of my own thoughts... :)

I also don't trust Bluetooth for stereo audio (music) I haven't heard anything that doesn't drop or pop. I also have high-end in-ear monitors and want to take as much advantage of them as possible, so like yamafitter, go wired.

You have lots of choices for mixing sources. My audio is routed through an Autocom, which supports multiple sources with assigned priority, so I can play music from an mp3 player, but if audio comes from a higher priority source, it'll automatically mute/switch. However, I really want control of my audio on the fly, and not just rely on priority switching. I want to pause music easily, etc. I ride year round in the Pacific North Wet, so the contol needs to be waterproof and can be done while moving. So actually, the only thing plugged into the Autocom is my Zumo. Which plays mp3s (with playlist support even!) provides GPS prompting, and is paired via bluetooth to my phone. So all three audio sources I want to control are all controlled via the Zumo's touch screen. The Autocom provides the noise canceling mic for phone and rider/pillion or bike-to-bike comms, and can adjust volume automatically based on ambient/wind noise levels.

Not the cheapest solution to have Zumo+Autocom, and I have to plug/unplug when getting on/off since I'm wired, but the audio quality and control are worth it, ESP since I'm on the bike about 2 hours/day.

Things are getting easier I think. You really should look into the Sena SMH10 headset. Its a bluetooth headset that can multiplex between at least 2 other devices AND intercom with up to 3 other headsets, all without a single wire. Right now I'm using an iPod touch with a Dual GPS docking station for my navigation (Navigon software) and music, a Blackberry for cell phone. It function seems to be reliable and simple to use.

1) Connect phone to headset (via bluetooth)

2) Connect iPod to headset (via bluetooth)

3) Connect to other SMH10 for bike-to-bike(via bluetooth, but I've never tried this)

3) Priorities are from low to high: iPod (music, which is muted by software when getting nav voice commands), then intercom, then cell phone

4) You answer the phone by either (1) pressing the button on the headset, (2) pressing the button on your phone if accessible, or (3) voice command if supported on your cell phone.

5) You answer a call on the intercom by pressing the big dial

6) Volume control on everything is controlled by the big dial

In summary - simple use - only 2 buttons/controls in total - zero wires. And one more cool thing - you can get up and walk around your bike (like while refueling, stretching legs, etc...) and the music keeps rockin' in your helmet. pretty nifty

I've not tried the other wired approaches (Starcomm, Unicomm, etc...) but you really ought to give this a look.

I'll echo some of what's already been said and maybe add a little of my own thoughts... :)

I also don't trust Bluetooth for stereo audio (music) I haven't heard anything that doesn't drop or pop. I also have high-end in-ear monitors and want to take as much advantage of them as possible, so like yamafitter, go wired.

You have lots of choices for mixing sources. My audio is routed through an Autocom, which supports multiple sources with assigned priority, so I can play music from an mp3 player, but if audio comes from a higher priority source, it'll automatically mute/switch. However, I really want control of my audio on the fly, and not just rely on priority switching. I want to pause music easily, etc. I ride year round in the Pacific North Wet, so the contol needs to be waterproof and can be done while moving. So actually, the only thing plugged into the Autocom is my Zumo. Which plays mp3s (with playlist support even!) provides GPS prompting, and is paired via bluetooth to my phone. So all three audio sources I want to control are all controlled via the Zumo's touch screen. The Autocom provides the noise canceling mic for phone and rider/pillion or bike-to-bike comms, and can adjust volume automatically based on ambient/wind noise levels.

Not the cheapest solution to have Zumo+Autocom, and I have to plug/unplug when getting on/off since I'm wired, but the audio quality and control are worth it, ESP since I'm on the bike about 2 hours/day.
Alright, sounds like you're doing exactly what I want to do. I already have the Zumo 660 (GPS, music, phone pairing) which I like running everything through, I just need to get the coms and apparently the Autocom. Is there anything else required or just the two additional components (coms+Autocom)? Also, which autocom are you using? thanks again and sorry if I've managed to hijack the thread.

I believe that Starcomm has bought out Autocom.

I use the Starcomm Digital and it seems to work well. If you want to bluetooth a compatable GPS (such as a Zumo 665) you will also require a separate bluetooth input module for the Starcomm to pair with the GPS.

I believe that Starcomm has bought out Autocom.

I use the Starcomm Digital and it seems to work well. If you want to bluetooth a compatable GPS (such as a Zumo 665) you will also require a separate bluetooth input module for the Starcomm to pair with the GPS.
Actually, as I've mentioned elsewhere, Starcom will be soon releasing a major breakthrough in motorcycle intercom technology. I got this directly from one of the Techstar (Starcom) engineers: They will soon offer a module that will adapt the two headset outputs from one of their existing systems to stereo bluetooth 2-way headsets. While this sounds like a minor accomplishment, it will mean that riders will have all of the functionality of a fully integrated hardwired intercom / communications system but without the wired connection to their helmet. Each helmet will only need to make a single bluetooth pairing to the command module and the command module will do all of the rest as it does in a fully wired system. This really will be a game changer once it is released, and I'll be up at the front of the line as an early adopter.

ok. so can I plug my ipod and satellite radio into the audio switch (so then I can switch between what I wanna listen to), and then plug the audio switch into a mix-it2 (so that I can have the audio switch muted when my GPS needs to tell me to turn), and then possibly a radar detector into the mix it as well?
In a word, yes. You could also do this with some of the GPS units mentioned, and with an Autocom or Starcom intercom unit, but for what you mentioned in the original post, the cheapest, least complex way would be to use an inexpensive, manual audio switch to select between the ipod and sat radio and plug the output of that into a MixIt which will prioritize the audio signals from a GPS and/or radar detector and mute the music when either of those devices has something to say that it thinks you ought to hear.

Pete Bansen

Truckee, California

Alright, sounds like you're doing exactly what I want to do. I already have the Zumo 660 (GPS, music, phone pairing) which I like running everything through, I just need to get the coms and apparently the Autocom. Is there anything else required or just the two additional components (coms+Autocom)? Also, which autocom are you using? thanks again and sorry if I've managed to hijack the thread.
I'm using an Autocom AVI Pro. Starcom bought Autocom, not sure about current availability or what the current equivalent is. I do only have the two components, though I told Keith at the Tulsa Truck Center (search on here for contact info and positive feedback on this vendor) that I was connecting a zumo and he provided the correct cabling adapters (Zumo 550 has separate mono mic input and mini stereo output, AutoCom interfaces on one input/output port, so there is an adapter as part of the cable). This cabling means I did NOT need a bluetooth adapter for the Autocom.

If being able to mute the music so I can talk at a stoplight, etc. is easy enough, and the audio quality really is good enough, russperry's suggestion sounds worth a look, or waiting for Starcom's next release?? I really like what I have and am not made of $$ so I won't be changing anytime soon, but if I could get the same experience without wires, I'd at least *like* to :)

Last edited by a moderator: