Sylvania "Zevo" Osram LEDs - A different one? Partial Review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetPotato

Reaction score
My previous owner installed a "SupaBrake-II" Tail light modulator. It's capable of flashing very fast, and I want to use it to it's full potential. That is impossible with the stock incandescent 1157 tail bulbs, so I swapped them with something convenient:

20151108_152611_zpsn9mg6oed.jpg
20151108_152547_zpstszxlple.jpg

I'll admit, I was quite sceptical after all of the poor reviews I've seen for LED's installed in housings designed for incandescent bulbs. However, These were priced OK ($18 after $3 rebate), they were locally available at autozone, and the cashier said I could return them. Knowing that, I took them home.

I did a side by side comparison after installing the first bulb. The difference is remarkable! The LED provides a deeper red of a brighter intensity that fills the entire housing. My modulator can now flash at it's highest frequency. I haven't had any ABS lights or other problems. I assume the modulator is controlling the load, so the bike assumes everything is normal.

Here is where people are going to get upset... I don't have appropriate equipment to photograph a proper comparison. No pictures or video for now, but I know somebody who may be able to help me in the coming days. I will post the comparison as soon as I can!

During this endeavor, I also found a local, cost effective answer to some of Yamaha's plastic fasteners. Not sure if I'll tack that on here or find a better place to put it.

My previous owner installed a "SupaBrake-II" Tail light modulator. It's capable of flashing very fast, and I want to use it to it's full potential. That is impossible with the stock incandescent 1157 tail bulbs, so I swapped them with something convenient:
20151108_152611_zpsn9mg6oed.jpg

I did a side by side comparison after installing the first bulb. The difference is remarkable! The LED provides a deeper red of a brighter intensity that fills the entire housing.
Looks like a good find.
coolsmiley02.gif

Just a note, if you have not tried LEDs yet, you need to get red LEDs, to put much light through a red tail light lens. White (or any other color) LEDs will not work well with a red lens. That is why red LEDs in car tail lights often have clear lenses over them, because a red lens might not match the color of the red LEDs in the coming years.

Cheers,

Infrared