Table Lift

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrebandit

Reaction score
Toying around with the idea of getting a table lift for my bike(s). Does anyone have any recommendations to share? Of course, this unit would be for non-commercial use in my garage so a Handy lift, although very nice, is really more than I want to spend (or need). I was looking at a direct lift because I could save myself shipping costs.

Click here

Toying around with the idea of getting a table lift for my bike(s). Does anyone have any recommendations to share? Of course, this unit would be for non-commercial use in my garage so a Handy lift, although very nice, is really more than I want to spend (or need). I was looking at a direct lift because I could save myself shipping costs.
Click here
I got one of these:

HF lift

Works quite well for me and if you check around, you can often find coupons for a substantial discount. I got mine for around $300. Ian, Iowa

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, there is a coupon for the Harbor Freight unit in one of the major mags right now for <$300, it's in Rider magazine I think. Depends on what you plan on doing with it. My garage space is severally limited, so I am looking at lifts that I can sink into the floor. That means they need a lift height in the 40" range to be useful, which of course means spending more money. :(

Click here
I got one of these:

HF lift

Works quite well for me and if you check around, you can often find coupons for a substantial discount. I got mine for around $300. Ian, Iowa
Thanks Ian, We have a HF store right here in Austin so I will go take a look.

Dave

I got one of these:HF lift

I got a different HF lift since I don't have shop air. I got mine for $200, but getting it home was a *challenge* because the damn thing weighs 300lbs. I tossed the crap tire chock and use a Baxley unit that I already had. Since I have only a 1-car garage, one of the bikes gets parked on it.

The SV is no problem, but pushing the FJR up the ramp into the chock does take a hell of a running start. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries, and maybe taking off the left bag. I wish the ramp was another couple of feet longer.

It's definitely saved my poor back from stooping over the bike all day, so it's worth it.

Edit: I just timed pumping it fully up and it takes about 45 seconds, and it's not a legbreaker.

I got one of these:HF lift

I got a different HF lift since I don't have shop air. I got mine for $200, but getting it home was a *challenge* because the damn thing weighs 300lbs. I tossed the crap tire chock and use a Baxley unit that I already had. Since I have only a 1-car garage, one of the bikes gets parked on it.

The SV is no problem, but pushing the FJR up the ramp into the chock does take a hell of a running start. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries, and maybe taking off the left bag. I wish the ramp was another couple of feet longer.

It's definitely saved my poor back from stooping over the bike all day, so it's worth it.

Edit: I just timed pumping it fully up and it takes about 45 seconds, and it's not a legbreaker.

Why can't you ride it into the Baxley ??? once it is in there it ain't gonna go anywhere.......

R

I have a Handy lift

https://www.handyindustries.com/

Not as cheap as the others mentioned, but it is professional quality. I bought it probably 15 yrs ago, is operated by compressed air, and was ~$600 at the time. Don't see a time it will ever wear out or need replacing. Only thing I would have done different - and I can still get them - is order the "wings" or side extensions. While I don't have a 4 wheeler, the extra bit on each side would be nice as extra workbench when working on the bike.

This is the brand that is common in bike shops.

You know there would be quite a lift market for these manufacturers if the lifts were thinner when down so you could park a car over them when you weren't using them. I'm not going to sink one in the floor, even though I'd like to. I'm also not interested in wrestling one into vertical storage when it's not in use.

Another +1 on the Handy lift.

I bought mine about 20 years ago. When I bought it they gave me a 25% discount, so I bought the ATV extensions and snowmobile wings at that time also. About the best shop tool I've ever purchased.

Now I can comfortably work on all the toys. When empty and in the "up" position, it also makes a "handy" waist-high work area.

Yeah. I got mine as part of a group buy not long after I got my 03 FJR (say 04 or 05). Good thing I have a mover's dolly as the delivery guy didn't bring a hydraulic drop-tail truck and didn't have his own dolly.

Why can't you ride it into the Baxley ??? once it is in there it ain't gonna go anywhere.......
I could, but with the width of the FJR there's very little of my foot that I can get on the edge of the lift. If things go pear-shaped while I'm riding up, there's not going to be much I can do. I used to have little wings that I built, but they were more of a pain than pushing the bike up once I got the hang of it.

Click here
I got one of these:

HF lift

Ian,

I see that lift is only 78" long. Any problems with fitting the FJR on it? How long have you had it? How would judge its build quality?

I went buy my Harbor Freight store and they had some in stock but not one on the floor for me to look at. I could get one of those for about 420 OTD.

I did look at a direct lift and they seem to be a good product but about 200 bucks more. I know Handys are good but now were talking over 1000 bucks. More than I want to spend.

Dave

You know there would be quite a lift market for these manufacturers if the lifts were thinner when down so you could park a car over them when you weren't using them. I'm not going to sink one in the floor, even though I'd like to. I'm also not interested in wrestling one into vertical storage when it's not in use.

Luckily, my truck has pretty good ground clearance, so my HF lift lives underneath it when not in use. I have the foot pump model. Was $400, on sale $300, and I had a HF coupon for 20% off any single purchase, so $240 + tax OTD. Worth every penny. Lifts and holds the FJR with ease.

The cheapest HF lift comes with a really crummy front wheel vise that only pinches the very bottom of the front tire. The two slightly more expensive lifts (air over hydraulic) come with a much nicer wheel vise, shaped like a lazy "L" or very open "V" (about 135 degrees, more or less), similar to the Handy or K&L wheel vises. You can get the nicer HF wheel vise for under $30, including shipping, by calling HF's toll-free technical line and asking for "parts." It is part no. 34, using the SKU from the intermediate priced lift [foot pump and air assist version]. (The damn SKU number at the office, not here at home - typical.) If you need the SKU [stock keeping unit] number, I can post in the next day or two.

The part is $20.70 plus shipping. 10-14 business days shipping was $7.99; faster delivery available for more money -- next day delivery was hundreds of dollars! I'll take the proverbial slow boat from China, as it were, thank you very much.

In theory, somewhere on the HF website you can download the owners manuals for their items, which include the parts lists and parts numbers, but being only partially computer literate, I couldn't find it on line. Fortunately, my BMW buddies made a photocopy of the right page.

I ended up getting a pro-lift (Direct lift) with an XLT kit. It was delivered yesterday and I spent a little time today setting it up. I'll post a couple photos when its ready.

Thanks for all the input.

Dave

Yep, I walk my bikes forward, under power (slip the clutch), & when it's there, hit the kill switch & then hold it streight w/right hand, on left handlebar & tighten tire vise w/left hand. It's easy even with the heavest bikes but it takes practice. Even with it tite, I still strap them down.

Later, De :)

04SwingArm002.jpg