Tach and speedo gauge

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueman

blueman
Reaction score
I just noticed today after I parked my bike outside for a few minuites some small little blistering next to each of the two black skrews in my Tack and speedo gauge any fix. The blisters are all right next to each black skrew.

The blistering is on the gauges overlay right next to the little two black skrews. Only can see the blisters with direct sunlight hitting it just right. Question, other sport bikes offer custom gauge overlays,any offered for the FJR and how hard is the install.

It's been done. I used to have a link to it but after my latest bout with computer translations, I lost the link and can't find it.

A couple of years ago oa member converted his to white faces. IIRC, some Canadian members have considered changing import bike's speedos to KMs.

Mine did this, and my cluster was replaced under warranty at 7K miles.

New cluster did it even worse. Once the bubble is formed, touching it

will only make the black face at the bubble fall off. The best fix I've

found is to put small fiber washers under the screws. You can find some

black ones at H-Depo. Hopefully you can find ones big enough to cover

the bubble without covering everything else. I've got 2 yams and both

bubbled, but it stopped when I put the fiber washers in. I think the

screws pick up heat from the sun and transfer it to the face. The washers

will stop that.

Well, in my opinion you need to stress less and ride more. My FJR's speedo and tach faces have been doing this for over 8 years and 300,000 miles. So what? Sometimes they go down (cooler temps), sometimes they are there.

Just ride........

Transfering the heat through the skrews theory makes sense. And it really seems to happen when the bike is parked. Covering the gauges at least when parked might be a good idea. I like the idea of the fiber washers to stop the heat tranfer. I will do that when I have to replace the bulbs. It sure looks like to much surgery to dick with it now.

Went for a great ride today noticed the blistering never got worse. Its so small its not distracking "so what"!!!. You are right ride more stress less. Don't need to sell me on a Gen 2. I have owned over 40 bikes and I love my 05. All bikes have issue's. And from what I have read and seen Gen 2s have thier share of them. P.S. I like the read-out of my gauges more then the Gen-2's "simpler and easer to read on the road.

Just out of interest if and when I have to remove those gauges to replace the bulbs, how easy or not is it. And

I will then install those felt washers that you recommended. Do you just remove the little black skews and slip the washers under the skrew heads! Pic's of your qauges would be helpfull. And what are the gauges faces made out of. Is it a rubber or vinyl materal??. Just interested.

Just out of interest if and when I have to remove those gauges to replace the bulbs, how easy or not is it......
Check my sig line...details in one of the links there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you remember what felt washers you used "size" and did they have adhesive on the back. Or did the screw heads hold them down. I am thinking of doing this soon. While it is apart am thinking of changing out the bulbs in the quages to red. Is thier any thing else I should look for or do service wise while I have the body work off.

Thanks for the great info I am going to install the LED's you recommended while I am in there "blue it is" Sure would like a photo of a gauge with the felt washer installed. Plan on doing this when I have to much time my hands.

Sorry, been busy for the last couple of days.

The washers weren't sticky, just small fiber washers from one of the cases on

the fastener aisle at H-Depot. Just remove the screws and add the washer.

The hole in the washers was slightly larger than the screw shaft, so I had

to center the washer as I tightened the screw.

Last edited by a moderator: