Tail Bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

live to ride

Reaction score
Good Day!

Just wondering if anyone is uses a tail bag on their FJR? I ride solo, so the hard bags will carry enough gear, but need somewhere for bottle of water and the little stuff. I see alot have a top box, but thats really not want I want. So any good Tail packs anyones is using out there? and where can a person find good deals on-line?

Cheers!

Good Day!

Just wondering if anyone is uses a tail bag on their FJR? I ride solo, so the hard bags will carry enough gear, but need somewhere for bottle of water and the little stuff. I see alot have a top box, but thats really not want I want. So any good Tail packs anyones is using out there? and where can a person find good deals on-line?

Cheers!
Check out Motorcycle Gear (formerly New Enough). They've got great deals on all sorts of stuff. I've got a luggage rack, which gives some flexibility when it comes to using a tail bag, but even before I got it, I was able to use the Firstgear Laguna my wife got for her Ninja.

Do you have a Gen I or Gen II bike? Stock rear rack?

Also, do you have or have you considered a tank bag?

That's a nice setup you have SwollenRaccoon.

Thanks. It worked great last weekend on a 4-day trip to Arkansas. Didn't budge on the seat, and wasn't in the way. Packed with a couple pairs of gloves, a bubba-mug, bungee cords, tools, can/bottle coolies, and a 750 ml bottle of Crown Royal Black. (Only opened when we were done riding for the day) :tonguesmiley:

I use that same Cortech bag, except with the bungee mounts. Strap it around the rear seat, and I'm good to go. It also fits perfectly on my (customized) Garauld rack. Great for the "get to it quick but not that quick" kinda stuff that you don't really want in the tank bag.

I've put redonkulous amounts of stuff in it too in my pre-FJR days. Very versatile.

I use that same Cortech bag, except with the bungee mounts. Strap it around the rear seat, and I'm good to go. It also fits perfectly on my (customized) Garauld rack. Great for the "get to it quick but not that quick" kinda stuff that you don't really want in the tank bag.

I've put redonkulous amounts of stuff in it too in my pre-FJR days. Very versatile.

I also use the Cortech bag with the bungee,s. I make sales calls on my bike and use the bag as a breif case. it holds my laptop and ipad and several books. I love this bag. holds alot and looks good.

Mark

Same setup I use when flying solo.

Tailbag6.JPG

If you want or need something that is a bit different, you can try the Axio hard tail bags. They've got a hard plastic top shell that helps with in-climate weather.

They can be a bit hard to find, as I believe they are working on v2.0, so they available stock is slim in the US.

I have one and it's very handy, and with the different color options, it can match well with most bikes.

Tailbag6.JPG

That is the absolute coolest tail bag setup ever. It replaces the rear seat, which puts it down low out ow the wind. Full info on this available here

But alas... this will only work on the 2nd gens as the opening when the rear seat is removed is considerably smaller on the superior 1st gens.

BTW - This bag is still available on closeout here

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want or need something that is a bit different, you can try the Axio hard tail bags. They've got a hard plastic top shell that helps with in-climate weather.

They can be a bit hard to find, as I believe they are working on v2.0, so they available stock is slim in the US.

I have one and it's very handy, and with the different color options, it can match well with most bikes.
Cool tailbag, but the base is nylon. They don't say anything about it being waterproof?!?!?! Also doesn't look like it holds all that much. Looks great however.

It may not look all that great empty, but I still love my LuggageLocker Elite Seat Sak.

Tailbag6.JPG

That is the absolute coolest tail bag setup ever. It replaces the rear seat, which puts it down low out ow the wind. Full info on this available here

But alas... this will only work on the 2nd gens as the opening when the rear seat is removed is considerably smaller on the superior 1st gens.

BTW - This bag is still available on closeout here
Agreed Fred. Iffin you are stuck with a lowly Gen II, this is one great looking and functional farkle.

Cool tailbag, but the base is nylon. They don't say anything about it being waterproof?!?!?! Also doesn't look like it holds all that much. Looks great however.
Waterproof - no. A tiny bit of water will come through around the zipper in a heavy downpour. I just put important things in a ziplock, if I'm worried about them getting wet when there's a chance of rain.

It can hold a surprising amount of items. I've had a small tool pack, rain suit, baseball cap, sunglasses in case, spare set of gloves, spare visor shield, tire CO2 cartridge, tire pressure gauge, a few maps, and my cell phone all stuffed in it with a bit of room to spare.