Tail Bag?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane Stump

Reaction score
Couple of questions for those of you who have already done it!

When I need to, I am planning on bringing my 17" laptop with me.

Since I don't want to overweight the back of the bike but I still want some degree of protection, I am looking to see what others are using?

I already have a Givi E52 that I use on my GL1800 and I am considering using it but with a laptop in it, it weights.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Shane

What....driving a truck? Is that your solution? Let the games begin.

Shane - I would go with simply placing the laptop in the top case. I can't imagine it would have much of an affect on the handling of the motorcycle. I ride to work regularly and nearly always have a laptop in my top case (I don't have the FJR yet but it has not affected any other bike I've owned). The additional weight of the laptop should be nearly immaterial relative to the total weight of the bike.

I carry one of my laptops in a Tenba Camera bag. Most pro camera stores have weatherproof bags for laptops, and you can take out the inner dividers to put other things. I strap it to my back seat or bungie to the luggage rack. My smaller laptop I can stick in my tankbag when I used it as a gps.

I carry my laptop back and forth to work whenever I go in to the office. Thats usually 2 or 3 times a week, about 60 miles each way. It is a pretty big IBM T41p.

I tried a backpack and found it very uncomfortable. The flat PC was pressing against my back.

I carried it in the side bag for a while. This was OK except there was verly little room for padding and eventually the hard drive got damaged. Not sure this was caused by rattling around in the side bag but that is likely.

I put it in a big soft PC carry case and bungied it on to to the pillion seat and it worked OK, but I was always worried about it falling off. It was time consuming strapping it on and off every time and it was not protected from the weather.

So, I got a Givi top case for Christmas primarily to carry my laptop. I put a nice soft piece of foam in the bottom and I put the PC in a soft backpack made for the purpose So far so good.

Has anyone tried using one of the Pelican bags, such as the 1470, on their bike? I used to carry my 12" Powerbook in my Jesse bag on my GS. I have yet to trip on the FJR but I have carried the laptop in the side bag locally. I have one of Garauld's racks coming and thought about the attaching the Pelican 1470 laptop case to it. Any thoughts?

Shep