Taking out plastic adjustment under seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolff

Reaction score
I'm looking at lowering the seat height a little bit and read where some have said to take the plastic seat height adjuster off the the bike to get a little bit lower. I took it off and the seat is lower (woo hoo) but the front of the seat is lose. The question is how many have taken that out and have you had any ill affects for doing so? Other than the front of the seat being a little lose I don't think there is any safety or seat support issues that I need to be concerned about?

Thank you for your input and advice in advance.

Scott

I took mine out. But I glued a small plastic shim on the front tab to keep the seat from wiggling. One thing to watch out for is the bottom edge of the seat that now rubs on the plastic body on either side, some say it can wear through the vinyl seat cover. I'll have to check mine for signs of wear and report back. But yeah you do get a little bit more lower.

I took mine out. But I glued a small plastic shim on the front tab to keep the seat from wiggling. One thing to watch out for is the bottom edge of the seat that now rubs on the plastic body on either side, some say it can wear through the vinyl seat cover. I'll have to check mine for signs of wear and report back. But yeah you do get a little bit more lower.

I did that and cut down the rubber bumpers on the bottom of the seat too and got it even a little lower. After a while though, I discovered it was putting enough pressure on the side plastic that it cracked a large piece out around the top mounting hole. I glued it successfully and enlarged the mounting holes on both side plastic pieces to let it "give" a little.

Took off all the rubber bumpers and the bracket. About 2 years ago. No signs of wear anywhere on seat or bike.

I did that and cut down the rubber bumpers on the bottom of the seat too and got it even a little lower. After a while though, I discovered it was putting enough pressure on the side plastic that it cracked a large piece out around the top mounting hole. I glued it successfully and enlarged the mounting holes on both side plastic pieces to let it "give" a little.
Hmmm, I never thought of that, but I can see how that could happen. Thanks, I'm gonna have to take a closer look, and maybe make some adjustments.