Taking your FJR into the Shop...Suggestions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03HiYoSilver

Reaction score
I don't know about your Shop Experiences, but I find Shops in general feels their customers know next to nothing and will believe almost anything. So these are some things that I have found to be helpful Before and After you put your motorcycle in the shop:

Especially if your are Not Familiar with their service and your steps may vary to extent of your service.

Before FJR goes in Shop:

1-Take Quality pictures of Bike w/ a Dated Paper for verification (note any defects and let service writer know)

2-Take off Portable Valuables/Bags/Items under Seat

3- Retrieve Diag Codes and write down

Check for Diag Codes (Clear if Necessary In Diag Mode Diag: #62 Reset by Turning On Kill Switch)

How to do this: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...st&p=117762

After FJR Come Out of Shop:

1- Do Extensive Walk Around/Check Fluids/Lights/Test Drive

2- Retrieve Diag Codes and write down

Check for Diag Codes (Clear if Necessary In Diag Mode Diag: #62 Reset by Turning On Kill Switch)

Depending on the Extent of your service, the bike will store codes while it is being serviced and Needs to Be Cleared afterward. This way any New Codes will be the New Ones and not the Old Codes generated while it was service and the Codes are not dated.

How to do this: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...st&p=117762

Hope this helps someone who drops off their cherished cycle to a shop and will help mitigate any potential conflicts. Don't ask how I know this.

Wow, you really don't like your dealer, do you?

This is good stuff. My contribution is to check the torque on any load bearing nut - steering head, brakes, etc.

Wow, you really don't like your dealer, do you?
This is good stuff. My contribution is to check the torque on any load bearing nut - steering head, brakes, etc.
No, it is not that I don't like 'em, I have been to 5 dealers in the last few years with inconsistent experiences. By the time you find a good one(mechanics/service writers) you can trust, next time you need service they are gone and you are starting all over again.

This way if any thing happens, and it has, I have the documentation to prove the situation if I am ever challenged or have damages. At that point they know I am serious and they need to treat it as such with more respect. Better with too much documentation than too little.

Thanks for your contribution...every little bit helps.

That seems like a lot of work to document all that stuff and then re-check it after getting the bike back. But I agree it's a good idea. I could tell horror stories too.

Almost seems it would be easier to learn how to fix it yourself. Unless it's a major overhaul, etc.

Almost seems it would be easier to learn how to fix it yourself. Unless it's a major overhaul, etc.
That's what I've done... but then that's because most of my bike-owning life was as a penniless student with 3rd-hand pieces-of-sh*t, so there wasn't a choice if I wanted better transportation than the "sneaker express" - plus all the Orlando area dealers are now either incompetent, or thieves, or both. I buy all my parts on the internet, or go to Daytona or Kissimmee.

The last local dealership that was decent was bought out by RideNow.com and oh dear god, I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy or even odot. They fired all the salesmen, all the techs, and all the parts people, then changed the name, so I don't understand what they gained from the purchase.

I do dread the day the FJR needs valve adjustments though! It's not going to be as easy as my SV-650 was.

Same mechanic since 1998. Couldn't be happier.

My bike always runs, his computers / network / website always work.

Last edited by a moderator: