Tall Riders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannayamaha

Reaction score
New to the board, great stuff, thanks for letting me join.

I'm 6'5" and have ridden for about 10 years on touring stuff (goldwings, etc) and rode dirtbikes as a kid. Wife has a cruiser (harley softail deluxe) but I'm not into my forearms being numb after 5 hours of vibration.

Was overseas (just retired out of the AF) and haven't ridden in about 4 years, but am intrigued by the sport touring bikes, especially the FJR. Just completed a MSF course with the wife (spousal support, the good kind), and one of the instructors had a FJR. Really liked the style, and he had nothing but good words, however, he was about 6'0". I love long tours, but hate the crouched over feeling.

Any other tall riders own an FJR? I'd like to hear from ya.

Previously discussed here and found by entering "tall rider" or "tall riders" into the Search.

At 6'4" with peg lowerers and slightly raised seat I find it comfortable enough to do...say....10,000 miles in 11 days. ;)

yea, I saw that, but I'm in S. Colorado and that's quite a haul. The ticket alone would offset the deal... There's a pretty reputable dealer south of here that I'm gonna work with I think. I'm just trying to get some real feedback from real FJR riders on the bike. I'm really liking what I'm hearing so far. Especially that a brand new showroom floor model is still 5K cheaper than an HD!

I'm 6-5 also, and just did about 1200 miles the past week, 600 a day.

The problem is this bike has every thing I want in a bike, but comfort.

I prepped for the rides by taking Advil, putting on a Icy Hot patches on the Lower Lumbar of my back. Still the knees hurt like hell, from the 8-10 hours in the saddle.

I have a cruiser I can ride all day long and have no pain at all, But it sucks on power, handling, and just plain fun.

Too bad they can't just take the cad prints and increase them 10-20% all over, it would fit much better.

I am still adding things to help with the riding position.

Took the picture needed for the Russel seat, and it looks like a pocket bike with me on it.

Harley's and their clones, to me just lumber down the road.

The BMW GS, Suzuki DL, have a more up rite sitting position, they handle well, but the power isn't the same.

I see they make a hot patch for the knees that is my next farkle for the FJR.

Honestly this bike to me is worth the pain.

Bob

yea, I saw that, but I'm in S. Colorado and that's quite a haul. The ticket alone would offset the deal... There's a pretty reputable dealer south of here that I'm gonna work with I think. I'm just trying to get some real feedback from real FJR riders on the bike. I'm really liking what I'm hearing so far. Especially that a brand new showroom floor model is still 5K cheaper than an HD!
I am not sure the price of a HD is really a good benchmark of value. Or in other words, FJRs ain't cheap, HDs are rediculously expensive. YMMV

You could possibly msg Jwilly here on the board. He's in the 6'4"-6'5" range. Nice guy, I doubt he'd mind answering any questions.

New to the board, great stuff, thanks for letting me join.
I'm 6'5" and have ridden for about 10 years on touring stuff (goldwings, etc) and rode dirtbikes as a kid. Wife has a cruiser (harley softail deluxe) but I'm not into my forearms being numb after 5 hours of vibration.

Was overseas (just retired out of the AF) and haven't ridden in about 4 years, but am intrigued by the sport touring bikes, especially the FJR. Just completed a MSF course with the wife (spousal support, the good kind), and one of the instructors had a FJR. Really liked the style, and he had nothing but good words, however, he was about 6'0". I love long tours, but hate the crouched over feeling.

Any other tall riders own an FJR? I'd like to hear from ya.
Hi. Glad to hear not everybody is short. I'm 6"5" myself, 56 yrs young. My '05 FJR is good for about 2 hrs before one cheek and upper thigh goes numb and I start squirming. The bars are good in my opinion. Very smooth bike, super motor, corners nice. I would go w/ a taller seat and maybe lower the pegs a touch. Just remember that those are down there when leaned waay over and will touch. You won't be at all dissapointed in the acceleration of the FJR. 11 second bagger- 150 mph. What's not to like!

G'day. I'm 6'4" & have a 2001 model (been available in Australia for longer). I have no issues with leg room, peg placement etc. You do have a slight forward crouch, which I don't mind & prefer to the upright position of the ST1300. I'd suggest an Air Hawk seat cushion for increased seat comfort (don't over inflate) or an after market seat. I'm currently trialling a Yamaha comfort seat (made by Corbin) with the Airhawk & it's a good combination. A wider seat, with more room for the rider (less for a pillion, but I'd change the seat back to the OEM if the wife's in the mood).

It is an awesome bike - easy to improve the things you wish to; easy to self maintain (if you like doing your own spannering); good MPG; great motor. Go for a test ride & your choice will be made.

Cheers, Ian.

I am 6'3" with a 31" inseam so I sit very tall in the saddle. I put some Genmar risers on the bike and a tall windshield (just as I have done on every bike that I could) and I am very pleased with the FJR.

I am 6'3' 32" inseam and have the tall yamaha screen. Never cramp up or get discomfort while riding, but that's just me. Maybe my ass gets sore after 500 miles, but a little time off the bike and I am good to go.

I have 2 different sets of risers of risers I don't use. (not sure which brands they are) I could send them off to you to see which ones you like.

I am 6'3" with a 33" inseam and find the bike quite comfortable. My only problem is my right knee which cramps after an hour or so. I normally don't ride for more than a couple of hours without taking a rest so that helps. You definately will need a tall windshield and there are plenty of after market seats, bar risers and per lowering kits. The bike is a blast to ride.

6'3" 36" inseam, 36" arms

The biggest improvement for me was a custom seat (Rick Mayer, but the other Mayer and Russell are probably just as good). The stock seat fatigued my butt, legs, back, etc... The custom changed all that.

No windshield I've tried has worked as well as I'd like. I cut down the stock screen to sportbike height and that seems best for me - steady wind and no turbulence or back pressure.

If I rode consecutive-day long distance more I'd probably get some bar risers for a more upright posture but not a big deal for day rides.

YMMV

Bill

excellent info all, and great to hear there are other freaks of nature out there like me! :^) I'm going down to demo the bike this weekend and am really excited based on everything I've read. I'll let ou know.

6"4" with 36" inseam, I have a scical xxtal wind screan and like it, but next time will buy a cee baily, I have a Russel coming on the group buy. I love the bike, I use the seat in the high and low position, I do need a break every couple of hours, but also need the breaks when driving my car. I use the bike as a comuter, I have put about 6500 miles on it in four months. I don't really do the long rides like some of the guys here, but I do drive every day. For me it is the best bike I have owned!

Bob

As I've said before, there's one in every group!

Anyhoots, I'm 6'5" 230 lbs, and have a 38" inseam. I must admit with the seat in the lower position, riding it home from the dealership yesterday afternoon, I was fairly cramped. My old Honda CBX had much better ergos for folks like me. I'm gonna' raise the seat and hope for the best. The so-called "tech" at the dealership didn't know how to raise it when I picked 'er up. But after glancing at the manual last night, I almost can't blame him. You'd think they'd have designed an easier mechanism. I'm sure once I start fidgeting with it, it will be a bit clearer. At least it's theoretically adjustable!

"TangiMan" John

I'm 3'6 with a 63'' inseam...having a nightmare with slow turns, keep running over my shins :lol: