Taller/Wider Calsci Shield for 2013--Any Concerns About Stress on bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Would anyone think there would be concern over using a taller/wider Calsci (or any brand) windshield on the stock bike for additional wind stress on the stock parts? Asking because I wouldn't mind 4" taller and a little wider. Geez, why do guys always end up talking in sizes....
no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not contact CalSci and ask Mark. He probably didn't just throw a piece of curved plastic up there and drill the holes in the right places. He's a pretty thorough engineer, and seems to be always glad to lay out his thoughts. Just look at his website.

Why not contact CalSci and ask Mark. He probably didn't just throw a piece of curved plastic up there and drill the holes in the right places. He's a pretty thorough engineer, and seems to be always glad to lay out his thoughts. Just look at his website.
Thanks. Probably would ask before buying. I asked same question of Mark Stadnyk of Madstad Engineering before putting his system on my FZ6, and he indicated "should be no more stress on windshield mounting area. But I'm including steel screws to replace the stock plastic ones....".....
sleep.png

<snip> But I'm including steel screws to replace the stock plastic ones....".....
sleep.png
Been talked about MANY times before. The plastic screws are there to easily break, so the shield doesn't become a guillotine in the unlikely event you go over the bars. I've tested the plastic screws with my CB +4/+3 many times [on a closed course
smile.png
] over a ton and have yet to have one break or loosen.

Just my $.02, YMMV

--G

No concern. Folks have been putting barn door windscreens on their FJRs for over 10 years now. Ride more, stress less.

And don't try to be smarter than the engineers - those nylon screws are on there for a reason.

Got the big oversized rifle and seemed like the screws loosened just a tad from working, nothing broke, course being plastic (I have spare screws) I do not really torque them for fear of stripping or breaking, I just snug them up a bit. Ran up to triple digits for a while at times, no closed course George but it was really deserted.