Talon Alarm installed on 06FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponyfool

Reaction score
On the advice of some from this board, and an earlier thread, I bought a Talon alarm for my '06 FJR A. The owner of the company, Brad, contacted me and said that they didn't have an install harness yet for the '06, but asked if I could help.

I sent him some photos of the wiring harness that leads to the brake/tail lights and I got my alarm in just a couple of days. I have installed maybe 20 alarms in cars and on bikes, and this was one of the easiest full featured alarms I have ever installed. Well, that is until I decided to deviate from the planned course of action, but still easy nonetheless.

The wiring harness plugs in to the turn/brake/tail light harness under the seat. This provides the alarm with switched power as well as turn signals for flashing. Instead of hooking up the starter interupt at the starter, with where I mounted the unit and siren, I found the side stand starter kill wire and chose to use it instead, so that went in with no issues.

Only two "difficult" tasks were battery power and where to put the LED. I decided to run a fused +12V line and ground straight from the battery back to the alarm. Routing of the wires wasn't too difficult, and since I was already up in the dash, I chose to run another lead for the LED alarm indicator.

The LED that came with it looked a bit cheesy, and Brad told me that the LED output is 5V. So, I chose to get a blue 5V LED, and looked for a place somewhere on the dash that would be centered, but couldn't find one. I finally decided to mount two LEDs, one on each side of the dash. They both flash together, and overall, it looks really good IMO.

I'll have pictures later, just wanted to give another round of Kudos for Talon alarms and their ease of installation, not to mention incredibly cheap price for a full featured alarm.

Last edited by a moderator: