Taming the Beast

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guy's
Drake from Warrington UK.
Iv been riding around 12 years or so and mostly had cruiser style bikes, my last 3 were a Yamaha 1700 warrior, BMW R1200GS I now have a Kawasaki 1500 mean streak.
I enjoy multi day camping trips and do a 1000 plus mile around Scotland every year, but the luggage space on a cruiser just isn't cutting it I ride 2 up with my wife and all though I really do cut my gear down we still struggle with weight and space.
I bought the 1200GS which was awesome, I could fit everything in with room to spare but the bike was just to big for me. So now I'm looking at the FJR1300 but I'm a little concerned about the power as although iv had big bikes iv never had anything with this kind of power and speed.
So my question is... dose this bike do ok riding at slower speeds as I don't ride fast, tend to stick to the speed limit, I do like a few twisties but I'm no speed demon 😬
I am looking for a capable comfortable 2 up touring bike that I can have a little play on when the need arises but is also happy sat at 30, 40 mph on uk roads.
Thanks for any help guys.
Cheers Drake

The FJR power and speed is significantly greater than the R1200GS, but quite manageable at low (or high) speeds. However, if you find that the BMW was too big, you won't find the FJR any better. Depending on accessories (i.e. luggage etc on the R1200GS), the dry weight is listed at 493 lb. The FJR is 642 lb...

The FJR power and speed is significantly greater than the R1200GS, but quite manageable at low (or high) speeds. However, if you find that the BMW was too big, you won't find the FJR any better. Depending on accessories (i.e. luggage etc on the R1200GS), the dry weight is listed at 493 lb. The FJR is 642 lb...
Hi Ross
Thank you for your reply 😁
It was the Hight of the GS that I struggled with. I have sat on a FJR at superbike factory and found I sat quite comfortable with Bent legs and the weight is lower down on the fjr1300 as opposed to do high up on the GS. Would I be right thinking that ??

Hi Ross
Thank you for your reply 😁
It was the Hight of the GS that I struggled with. I have sat on a FJR at superbike factory and found I sat quite comfortable with Bent legs and the weight is lower down on the fjr1300 as opposed to do high up on the GS. Would I be right thinking that ??
I think the FJR seat may be a little lower, but not sure about center of gravity. The boxer twin jugs are relatively low down but I don't know how that translates into handling of the BMW vs the Yamaha (I haven't ridden a BMW boxer twin). I guess you will need to ride one to see if the ergonomics work for you. In any case, I wouldn't worry about the extra power of the FJR although there were complaints about a "snatchy" throttle on early Gen II FJRs (most prevalent in model years 2006-07). Are you considering new or used? You might consider a "lowered" BMW if you like the bike's other features, but it will never approach the reliability and MUCH lower maintenance costs of the FJR.
Good luck in choosing the right bike for you.

I think the FJR seat may be a little lower, but not sure about center of gravity. The boxer twin jugs are relatively low down but I don't know how that translates into handling of the BMW vs the Yamaha (I haven't ridden a BMW boxer twin). I guess you will need to ride one to see if the ergonomics work for you. In any case, I wouldn't worry about the extra power of the FJR although there were complaints about a "snatchy" throttle on early Gen II FJRs (most prevalent in model years 2006-07). Are you considering new or used? You might consider a "lowered" BMW if you like the bike's other features, but it will never approach the reliability and MUCH lower maintenance costs of the FJR.
Good luck in choosing the right bike for you.
Yeah I read about the snatchy throttle.
I was hoping to get a 2013 onwards if funds allow 😬🤞
Thank you very much for your advice I'll get myself booked in for a test ride.
Cheers 😁👍

I was hoping to get a 2013 onwards if funds allow 😬🤞
Only issue with the 2013 is that the cruise control is limited to 80 mph (compared to later models). In looking at a Gen III+, you may wish to consider the conventional vs electronic suspension models (avail 2014+). Also LED headlights and 5 speed vs 6 speed transmission (2016+, IIRC). Have a look at the model comparison matrix in the following link. Please note that colour options vary by market and features such as the auto-clutch were discontinued in North America after 2009, but were still available in Europe much later.

Model Comparison Matrix

Only issue with the 2013 is that the cruise control is limited to 80 mph (compared to later models). In looking at a Gen III+, you may wish to consider the conventional vs electronic suspension models (avail 2014+). Also LED headlights and 5 speed vs 6 speed transmission (2016+, IIRC). Have a look at the model comparison matrix in the following link. Please note that colour options vary by market and features such as the auto-clutch were discontinued in North America after 2009, but were still available in Europe much later.

Model Comparison Matrix
Awesome 👌
Thank you I'll take a look later 😁👍

Hi guy's
Drake from Warrington UK.
Iv been riding around 12 years or so and mostly had cruiser style bikes, my last 3 were a Yamaha 1700 warrior, BMW R1200GS I now have a Kawasaki 1500 mean streak.
I enjoy multi day camping trips and do a 1000 plus mile around Scotland every year, but the luggage space on a cruiser just isn't cutting it I ride 2 up with my wife and all though I really do cut my gear down we still struggle with weight and space.
I bought the 1200GS which was awesome, I could fit everything in with room to spare but the bike was just to big for me. So now I'm looking at the FJR1300 but I'm a little concerned about the power as although iv had big bikes iv never had anything with this kind of power and speed.
So my question is... dose this bike do ok riding at slower speeds as I don't ride fast, tend to stick to the speed limit, I do like a few twisties but I'm no speed demon 😬
I am looking for a capable comfortable 2 up touring bike that I can have a little play on when the need arises but is also happy sat at 30, 40 mph on uk roads.
Thanks for any help guys.
Cheers Drake

To try to help with your queries, the bike does fine at low speeds, the only time you need to be careful is when coming to a stop, if the bike is cornering at all it can be very difficult to hold it up. Having said that, no problem at all in stop-go heavy traffic.

As for controlling all that power, simply not an issue, though the 2006 and 2007 models did have a snatchy characteristic because they put a silly throttle profile on it.

If you're really worried, get a Gen 3, they have the Touring mode which dulls the throttle response, makes for very laid-back riding, without affecting the overall power. They also have cruise control, I use mine a lot with all the speed cameras around. It is easy to find yourself going faster than you really wanted, it does have oodles of power, but at the same time there's no surprises in its behaviour, just smooth acceleration all the way.

Mine is the AS version (I have a dicky left hand), doesn't affect normal riding. I use mine for shopping trips to my local supermarket, no problem at all. The suspension on these is more suited to two-up riding as well, though I'm almost always solo.

If you have any specific queries, please PM me. And I might see you in Scotland, I'm up there in a couple of weeks time.

I agree with mcatrophy. In tour mode it's a doll. Smooth and friendly. Yes the FJR has power, but it is very predictable and the traction control does a good job in wet conditions. I've never felt like it was too much. <Note that I'm on a 2019, earlier generations may vary>

With wife + cargo it's still a very heavy ride, though I find the weight of the bike helps counter the weight of the cargo. On the lighter bikes I've used the extra weight rear and high had much more impact on the balance. I've never had problems backing it up, but I'm also pretty tall and can flat-foot it.

When I purchased mine (used) the low-speed (<10mph) handling was very wonky. New tires and increased front pressure fixed it

I've owned both the 1200 GS and four different generations of the FJR. Bought the Gs for a trip to Alaska but never took it because it had mechanical issues that left me feeling uncomfortable for such a long trip. Bought a used Yamaha Super Tenere to make the trip and absolutely loved that bike.
However, in my opinion, the BMW 1200GS is a very capable, powerful bike. Tons of low end torque, low center of gravity and a great platform for 2 up touring.
The only thing I didn't like was the seat height. I have a 32" inseam and unless the GS was fully loaded I found myself a bit unsure when coming to a stop. The BMW was a joy to ride, cornering it's strong point and can't beat the torque for off road adventures. But I found the Super Tenere a better bike overall, for me.
The FJR's are without a doubt, the most maintenance free bikes I've ever owned. Change the engine oil every 5k miles, do the stuff you know how to do that seems reasonable, take the advice on extended service procedures and just ride. although a little top heavy, the FJR is easy to maneuver with a little practice. And as previously stated, a Gen 3 bike will give you the touring mode for your slow speed work. But I don't think you will use it much as the sport mode is very manageable.
I only have one bike now and it is a '15ES. I ride with BMW guys, all models of BMW. I have ridden the '24GS and it is a wonderful bike, as almost all late model Beemers are. Well designed, well built. So why do I ride the FJR and not a BMW? Simple, IMO the FJR is the best bike ever built. The FJR does everything I need it to do and does it so economically. I love the ride, handling, power and speed.
Oh, and the lower seat height. I might get another BMW but I will always have a FJR.
Hope this helps

To try to help with your queries, the bike does fine at low speeds, the only time you need to be careful is when coming to a stop, if the bike is cornering at all it can be very difficult to hold it up. Having said that, no problem at all in stop-go heavy traffic.

As for controlling all that power, simply not an issue, though the 2006 and 2007 models did have a snatchy characteristic because they put a silly throttle profile on it.

If you're really worried, get a Gen 3, they have the Touring mode which dulls the throttle response, makes for very laid-back riding, without affecting the overall power. They also have cruise control, I use mine a lot with all the speed cameras around. It is easy to find yourself going faster than you really wanted, it does have oodles of power, but at the same time there's no surprises in its behaviour, just smooth acceleration all the way.

Mine is the AS version (I have a dicky left hand), doesn't affect normal riding. I use mine for shopping trips to my local supermarket, no problem at all. The suspension on these is more suited to two-up riding as well, though I'm almost always solo.

If you have any specific queries, please PM me. And I might see you in Scotland, I'm up there in a couple of weeks time.
Thank you very much 😁👌 I'm off to SB Factory this afternoon 😀 I will definitely be looking for a Gen 3
Iv also got my eye an a Tracer 9, but my wife isn't to sure, as she thinks it still a bit like the R1200 GS which she didn't like as to tall for her.
Thank you 😁👍

I agree with mcatrophy. In tour mode it's a doll. Smooth and friendly. Yes the FJR has power, but it is very predictable and the traction control does a good job in wet conditions. I've never felt like it was too much. <Note that I'm on a 2019, earlier generations may vary>

With wife + cargo it's still a very heavy ride, though I find the weight of the bike helps counter the weight of the cargo. On the lighter bikes I've used the extra weight rear and high had much more impact on the balance. I've never had problems backing it up, but I'm also pretty tall and can flat-foot it.

When I purchased mine (used) the low-speed (<10mph) handling was very wonky. New tires and increased front pressure fixed it
That was the problem on the GS weight high up, all ways over balancing 😬
Thanks 👍

I've owned both the 1200 GS and four different generations of the FJR. Bought the Gs for a trip to Alaska but never took it because it had mechanical issues that left me feeling uncomfortable for such a long trip. Bought a used Yamaha Super Tenere to make the trip and absolutely loved that bike.
However, in my opinion, the BMW 1200GS is a very capable, powerful bike. Tons of low end torque, low center of gravity and a great platform for 2 up touring.
The only thing I didn't like was the seat height. I have a 32" inseam and unless the GS was fully loaded I found myself a bit unsure when coming to a stop. The BMW was a joy to ride, cornering it's strong point and can't beat the torque for off road adventures. But I found the Super Tenere a better bike overall, for me.
The FJR's are without a doubt, the most maintenance free bikes I've ever owned. Change the engine oil every 5k miles, do the stuff you know how to do that seems reasonable, take the advice on extended service procedures and just ride. although a little top heavy, the FJR is easy to maneuver with a little practice. And as previously stated, a Gen 3 bike will give you the touring mode for your slow speed work. But I don't think you will use it much as the sport mode is very manageable.
I only have one bike now and it is a '15ES. I ride with BMW guys, all models of BMW. I have ridden the '24GS and it is a wonderful bike, as almost all late model Beemers are. Well designed, well built. So why do I ride the FJR and not a BMW? Simple, IMO the FJR is the best bike ever built. The FJR does everything I need it to do and does it so economically. I love the ride, handling, power and speed.
Oh, and the lower seat height. I might get another BMW but I will always have a FJR.
Hope this helps
Thank you 😁 👍
That was my only problem on the GS, the slow almost stopped turning.
I did drop it a few times as the weight high up and legs so close together on the floor, once it went over just a little of centre there was no stopping it 😬🤣
Iv had wobbles on other ( lower and heavier ) bikes due to dodgy Inclines and bad roads etc but due to lower seat and bent legs ment I could save a drop even if it had gone further over than the GS
Thanks 😀

Sounds like you need to do the test ride. When the FJR gets tipped over too far, there is no stopping it, no matter how strong you might be. I am tall with a 34" inseam so I have an advantage over some people in terms of geometry when sitting on the bike. In the 10 years (and 295,000 km) I owned it, I dropped my 2007 a couple of times (zero speed, minimal damage). I haven't dropped my current 2011 yet (120,000 km by me, 165,000 km total).

Sounds like you need to do the test ride. When the FJR gets tipped over too far, there is no stopping it, no matter how strong you might be. I am tall with a 34" inseam so I have an advantage over some people in terms of geometry when sitting on the bike. In the 10 years (and 295,000 km) I owned it, I dropped my 2007 a couple of times (zero speed, minimal damage). I haven't dropped my current 2011 yet (120,000 km by me, 165,000 km total).
Yes I definitely do 😁 I'm off window shopping in an hour or so, so I'll see if I can get a test ride booked in.
It's going to be a bit different from my Kawasaki 1500 mean streak 😬🤣

Hi guys
I would really like to thank you all for your great input and information that you have given me 👏🤜
It has really helped me a lot in making my decision, which was "I don't think that the FJR would be the right bike for me " ( I actually used my head and not my hart for a change 😅) after sitting on a few yesterday I decided on a Yamaha Tracer 900 and bought this.
Thanks again guy I appreciate it 🙏
Drake

Attachments

• 20240829_185616.jpg
    20240829_185616.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1
Congratulations. Lots of power and 200 lb lighter than the FJR. Chain drive and a lesser bike for 2-up touring, but I don't think you will be disappointed.