Taming the Beast

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guy's
Drake from Warrington UK.
Iv been riding around 12 years or so and mostly had cruiser style bikes, my last 3 were a Yamaha 1700 warrior, BMW R1200GS I now have a Kawasaki 1500 mean streak.
I enjoy multi day camping trips and do a 1000 plus mile around Scotland every year, but the luggage space on a cruiser just isn't cutting it I ride 2 up with my wife and all though I really do cut my gear down we still struggle with weight and space.
I bought the 1200GS which was awesome, I could fit everything in with room to spare but the bike was just to big for me. So now I'm looking at the FJR1300 but I'm a little concerned about the power as although iv had big bikes iv never had anything with this kind of power and speed.
So my question is... dose this bike do ok riding at slower speeds as I don't ride fast, tend to stick to the speed limit, I do like a few twisties but I'm no speed demon 😬
I am looking for a capable comfortable 2 up touring bike that I can have a little play on when the need arises but is also happy sat at 30, 40 mph on uk roads.
Thanks for any help guys.
Cheers Drake
I think you’ll find it just right for both long and short rides, the FJR 1300 has a wide range with lots of torque. I remove the side storage boxes for just short runs, cuts some weight off the bike and makes it easier in town traffic. A couple of years back I rode out to the west coast and after about 6,000kl. In mostly heavy rain it never skipped a beat, great trip with all kinds of roads (Hyways, twisty mountain roads). I’m sure you’ll have lots of enjoyable riding either solo or two up, mine has been the best bike I’ve owned over many years of riding. (from 12 years old till now at 76) used to live near your area in the UK (in Southport)

Wife had a tip over on her by FJR during our 3 week trip. It’s in shop now getting new body pieces that were scratched.

She went out and bought the new Tracer 9 GT+. She super loves it!! My only concern is she may not want the FJR any more and I can only ride one at a time. Anyone interested in a 2016 ES?

As for the new tracer it’s pretty sweet and has a long term new home. Think I might get another one for myself, and maybe even need some updated training as she is almost able to keep up on the fast technical twisties now. Last run instead of comms cutting out due to the gap she never got more than a 1/2 curve behind.

Wife had a tip over on her by FJR during our 3 week trip. It’s in shop now getting new body pieces that were scratched.

She went out and bought the new Tracer 9 GT+. She super loves it!! My only concern is she may not want the FJR any more and I can only ride one at a time. Anyone interested in a 2016 ES?

As for the new tracer it’s pretty sweet and has a long term new home. Think I might get another one for myself, and maybe even need some updated training as she is almost able to keep up on the fast technical twisties now. Last run instead of comms cutting out due to the gap she never got more than a 1/2 curve behind.
Picking mine up in the morning. Excited? Just a little 🤣😁 I definitely think I made the right decision.

A blue 2016??
Let me know if you’re serious (and details like miles, etc.). My riding buddy is seriously considering switching from one of his Beamers to an FJR …but he likes blue. So that limits his choices.

A blue 2016??
Let me know if you’re serious (and details like miles, etc.). My riding buddy is seriously considering switching from one of his Beamers to an FJR …but he likes blue. So that limits his choices.
FJRs in blue? 2005=Galaxy Blue, 2006, 2012, 2016, 2023 & 2024=Cobalt Blue, 2018 & 2019=matte Phantom Blue. Lots of choices!

A blue 2016??
Yes it’s blue.

IMG_0147.jpeg

As mentioned it’s getting some new body panels due to tip over, cosmetic damage. It was steep incline and loaded for 3 week trip. Zero mechanical issues. Currently lowered but easy to put back to stock height.

Think mileage is about 25K-ish. I’ll ask wife her honest intentions. She loves her new bike and I am not sure she truely wants the weight of the FJR even though she loves it too.