Tanji/Pelican mounted

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mehaffydr

Reaction score
Well after getting this fine piece of work known as the Tanji FBFC i needed to rethink my rear trunk options. So after much research I decided to go with the Pelican 1550. I wanted to make this easily removable to take in at night. That was proving difficult and then Renojohn showed me this Softbag that is made to fit inside the Pelican case. So this seemed the perfect solution I could securly mount the Pelican and take the contents in at night. I do loose a little capacity but I think the tradeoff is worth it.

tanjion001.jpg

Tanji and Pelican finished

tanjion004.jpg

I bolted these AL. straps to the fuel cell and then drilled throughthe Pelican and drilled and tapped the AL. and screwed down through the Pelican into the AL. bar stock with 8 mm screws.

tanjion007.jpg

Screws holding Pelican. This thing is solid if I move it the bike moves.

tanjion005.jpg

Here's the soft case in the Pelican

tanjion006.jpg

Inside view. Already started packing for the IBR

tanjion008.jpg

Rear View.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want a Tanji..... Skooter, can I have yours??????. Nice work Mike..... :yahoo:

Looks like a IBR 5000 contender to me.. Smitty

Looks good!

Curious - the plastic clips for the flashlight - are those enough to ensure the light doesn't pop free on bumpy tarmac?

Can you post info or a link to the softbag? Do they come in sizes other then the 1550?
This is were I got mine but if you search " pelican soft case" you will find it

Soft case click here

I am goimg to put a velcro wrap around the light I dont know if It's needed those moiunts are pretty tight but on rough gravel or pothole maybe it could break loose?

Can you post info or a link to the softbag? Do they come in sizes other then the 1550?
This is were I got mine but if you search " pelican soft case" you will find it

Soft case click here

I am goimg to put a velcro wrap around the light I dont know if It's needed those moiunts are pretty tight but on rough gravel or pothole maybe it could break loose?
I'd be less concerned about the flash light popping out of the clasps and more concerned about the plastic clasps breaking entirely. This is conjecture, of course, since it's tough to judge how beefy the clasps are in real life, and how light weight the flashlight really is. Just how my mind works.

I'd also be looking for a way to deter casual thieves from liberating my flashlight at a fuel stop, etc. Perhaps drilling the end cap and using some wire cord secured to the flashlight, with the other end snaked under the seat? That's deter thieves, it'd still be easy enough to get to when needed and would have the added advantage of attaching the flashlight to the bike in case it did come loose form the mounting points.

See thinking of farkles is almost as much fun as thinking of ways to mount and modify farkles! Hmmm... is farkling considered a team sport? :D

The mag light mounts will hold over most anything. My flashlight, although only two cell, has hung on for a 1.5 IBRs and several multi-day rallies and well over 60000 miles. I use a velcro strap anyway as over time they may fatigue and crack or break off. That happened with my original fabbed up cell on the '03 where it was top mounted. I still think someone whacked 'em real good for them to break the way they did. No trouble on the Tanji so far.

I don't worry about anyone thieving either. No one's touched it in all that time but I do cover the bike at night.