Tank Bag Electrical Port

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moosehead

Reaction score
Here is a cheap and easy way to put an electrical port in your tank bag. Total cost was $0.00 and time spent was 30 min.

The idea is to squeeze 2 rubber washers between 2 steel washers. I cut the screw holes in the rubber washers with a hole punch and cross slit the centre to allow wires through. I used a soldering gun to melt holes into the tank bag. This way there are no frayed edges.

Here is a pic of the required parts: 2 washers, a piece of bicycle innertube(or any thin rubber), 3 small screws with nuts and washers.

The tools I used were a drill, soldering gun, hole punch and some whiteout to mark holes

IMGP0010.jpg

drilling the holes in the washers

IMGP0004-4.jpg

parts made ready for install

IMGP0011.jpg

marking the holes in the tank bag

IMGP0006-2.jpg

using soldering gun to neatly burn holes through tank bag

IMGP0009-1.jpg

finished install from the outside

IMGP0016-1.jpg

finished install from the inside

IMGP0017-1.jpg

Been thinking about doing the same thing. What is the Eliminator Black Box? Does it disconnect for the power cord?

Great post! Thanks for that! I have looked everywhere for the "earphone ports" that come with every backpack, some tankbags, jackets... Only place I've found them is a website in China... I have everything powered by my autocom in my tankbag, more wires coming out of it then the space shuttle! Your idea is what I needed to clean it up!

Hi Gizmo,

The black box is a 100 watt power inverter that I want to use to power up my camera battery, cell phone or mp3 player while I'm driving. The cord disconnects from the inverter and can be pulled through the port when you remove the tank bag.

Great idea Mike, gonna have to steal it and hit up Crappy Tire on the way home! Their even on sale right now!

Last edited by a moderator: