Tank Bag Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bthomas

Reaction score
Thinking about buying a Joe Rocket Hammerhead tank bag. Was gonna use the cellphone pouch for my zune 120 gb hard drive based mp3 player. Got to thinking that the strong magnets could degrade the player or even erase it. Does anyone have this bag and if so do you like it? And what's everyone's opinion on this happening?

Thanks

Thinking about buying a Joe Rocket Hammerhead tank bag. Was gonna use the cellphone pouch for my zune 120 gb hard drive based mp3 player. Got to thinking that the strong magnets could degrade the player or even erase it. Does anyone have this bag and if so do you like it? And what's everyone's opinion on this happening?

Thanks
I am not familiar with the "Hammerhead" but...

I always kept my Ipod classic in the side pocket of my cargo touring tank bag. I had no issues UNTIL

I took a road trip to Texas and on an overnight stay I brought the bag inside and set it against the wall.

The magnetic flap flipped back against the side pocket where the ipod was. It remained there during my

stay of two days. When I went to use it, there was NO music available and now you just reminded me that

I need to check this out before my next ride. :detective2:

So to answer part of your question... Yes, I believe a large magnet when placed DIRECTLY against the

device- Can have undesirable effects. When on the tank properly? I never had any issues.

The Cargo touring tank bag has HUGE magnets for reference......

I think you're likely to experience more problems from vibration with a hard drive based player than from the magnets. Hard drives and motorcycles don't play well together. Maybe the placement of that pocket will offer some protection from that, though.

I think the odds are very good that you'll be just fine. The limiting factor is likely to be the player rather than the tank bag, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
The magnets on the tank bag are no where near strong enough to cause data loss on your MP3 player. Besides...your MP3 player probably has a flash drive for storage, therefore uneffected by magnetics.

Concerning the hammerhead. I have read some sites that say it will fit a widescreen gps and some say it won't. Can someone confirm this one way or the other?

Thanks
As 101stpathfinder said, the magnets in a tank bag are very strong and indeed can cause data loss to magnetic media if in direct contact. If you have a Hard Drive based MP3 Player be careful. As others have said I would worry more about shock and vibration to a Hard Drive based MP3 player than the data being erased. The proper case could help with this.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, until this thread I never even considered it, but I have a Chase-Harper mag mount tank bag, and I typically put my wallet (with credit/debit cards, mag stripe) in the side pocket, just above one of the flaps that hold the magnets. Haven't had any issues with it, but I know very well what strong magnets do to magntic tape. Think I'll find somewhere else to keep the wallet...

Thanks
As 101stpathfinder said, the magnets in a tank bag are very strong and indeed can cause data loss to magnetic media if in direct contact. If you have a Hard Drive based MP3 Player be careful. As others have said I would worry more about shock and vibration to a Hard Drive based MP3 player than the data being erased. The proper case could help with this.
We can agree to disagree I guess. I dont think a tank bag magnet is nearly strong enough to cause data loss. I know for a fact the magnet in a 15" Cerwin Vega subwoofer wont corrupt a hard drive...Ive tried it :p

Also, the chances are failrly slim its NOT a flash based MP3 player. The only one I can think of off the top of my head that has a magnetic drive is the earlier gen ipods.